Sponsored

58+% Power gain on just 8psi of ProCharger Supercharger Boost....

superblur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang
Yeah its weird for you to have a rod failure like that. Generally the pistons are the weak link on the cyclone engines, and with a good tune and gas you don't really have to worry about them either.

On the cyclone Facebook page there is plenty of people running 450rwhp with superchargers, turbos and nitrous with no problems. I wouldn't let a remote incident sour your opinion on the 3.7 because so far it seems like a great durable engine, its just all in the tune.
Sponsored

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
DR I see you use a Diablo tuner. I just got mine i2020 to day and wanted to ask you about how it works. I've read the manual when you first plug it into the OBD II does it download the stock information? Do you go to the Powerful Performance for the pre-loaded tunes and download the 93 octane program? Thanks

Last edited:

sj90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 V6 Mustang
Yeah its weird for you to have a rod failure like that. Generally the pistons are the weak link on the cyclone engines, and with a good tune and gas you don't really have to worry about them either.

On the cyclone Facebook page there is plenty of people running 450rwhp with superchargers, turbos and nitrous with no problems. I wouldn't let a remote incident sour your opinion on the 3.7 because so far it seems like a great durable engine, its just all in the tune.
I had a rod bearing go with a tune and intake at around 43k. I've always run my car hard, so if there was an issue I'm sure I'd find it. That said I also take very good care of it, change the oil well before the service interval and keep it full of oil. I think it has more to do with factory tolerance and how you drive than power levels.

I remember another poster on AFM having one go on a stock motor under 20k. My money is more on us being unlucky than over stressing the motor.

sj90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 V6 Mustang
I had a 2012 Mustang V6 with the stock ProCharger kit on it. I had upgraded the clutch, Flywheel and driveshaft. I had a Spec setup initially, but the Aluminum flywheel was too light, so lots of clutch chatter. Very annoying. I changed to a Ram steel flywheel with the appropriate clutch and it was fine. I sold the car to a guy and less than 4 months later, a rod failed so not really impressed. I don't know why the rod would fail? He put a used engine in and I haven't heard how it is going now. I would be reluctant to do the ProCharger again to my 2015 V6.
Rory, that's sad to hear his motor let go. I was hoping see your (old) car with the SC one day if I decide to go procharger. Any more info on it? Did the rod bend/break or was it a rod bearing? If the rod itself let go that is surprising, but I guess you never really know once you start boosting an engine.

Rorysbrown

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mymustang.ca
First Name
Rory
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Coupe 2.3L High Performance + HP + 6M
Rory, that's sad to hear his motor let go. I was hoping see your (old) car with the SC one day if I decide to go procharger. Any more info on it? Did the rod bend/break or was it a rod bearing? If the rod itself let go that is surprising, but I guess you never really know once you start boosting an engine.
The last I heard, the rod was bent. He just put a used engine in it. I haven't talked with him for a while. I'll see if he brings it to the first Greater Vancouver Mustang Association (GVMA) spring show May 29th in Langley. I'll text him and see what he is doing.

Sponsored

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
All the motor blowing talk is freaking me the hell out

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
The next owner could have been beating on it everyday. :shrug:

Honestly I think these are great motors, you see a lot of 3.7s on youtube with stock internals and forced induction. If I recall correctly the rods are powdered metal and the crank is the same used in the 3.5 ecoboost.

Rorysbrown

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mymustang.ca
First Name
Rory
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Coupe 2.3L High Performance + HP + 6M
The next owner could have been beating on it everyday. :shrug:

Honestly I think these are great motors, you see a lot of 3.7s on youtube with stock internals and forced induction. If I recall correctly the rods are powdered metal and the crank is the same used in the 3.5 ecoboost.
It's possible that he was beating on it but still shouldn't bend a rod? I did hear back from him and he says the car is doing great. I'm hoping he will come out to our first GVMA event May 29th.

superblur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang
It's possible that he was beating on it but still shouldn't bend a rod? I did hear back from him and he says the car is doing great. I'm hoping he will come out to our first GVMA event May 29th.
Bending a rod sounds like detonation which could've just been bad gas. The rods are pretty stout, especially when compared to the ecoboost rods which are holding 400 ft lbs of torque so far. When the guys who have boosted cyclones break shit it is almost always the pistons.

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Any time something is boosted it is a game of chance with the motor, especially with stock internals some of us ecoboost owners are learning this the hard way lol but it applies to any car. I've heard stories of several 3.7's blowing up that are supercharged..can't confirm why exactly but just know that anytime you push a car very hard past its limits there is a chance it will let go.

Sponsored

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
All the motor blowing talk is freaking me the hell out
Well I did look at prices of low mileage junk yard motors before I went this route and they can be found in the $1000 to $1500 range, which IMO is pretty cheap.

We ordered the RAM HDX clutch and steel flywheel so hopefully we will get this car back on the road soon.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Thats good to know!

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Should be tons and tons of used motors out there....all the rental cars from 11 to 15 should be plentiul lol

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
I didnt know there was a steel flywheel out there

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
I was just looking at the ram setup...they say it will fit the v6 or the 5.0.. interesting
Sponsored