Sponsored

350R VS Z/28

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
Why in the world would chevy make another z28 when they had to discount this one by $25000.00 and they gave up on a naturally aspirated corvette

Look for a zl1 only

Gt350 owns this spot for awhile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
very well said:ford:
Sponsored

Shakooza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Why in the world would chevy make another z28 when they had to discount this one by $25000.00 and they gave up on a naturally aspirated corvette

Look for a zl1 only

Gt350 owns this spot for awhile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most high end performance models by major manufacturers aren't meant to generate profit. These models almost always break even, at best, after all of the research, testing, etc. The purpose of these cars is to generate visits to the showroom.

....and let's not act like Ford isn't running away from n/a V8s. I bet they are the first of the major three to have no V8s at all in their line up.

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
He didn't say they're not moving away from NA V8s. Ford struck last on the high powered NA V8s, and now, the emissions standards are going to make it very difficult to beat them at their own game. The Voodoo is probably the last of the breed. Once it goes away, I doubt Ford will have a direct follow up for it.

Last edited:

Khell86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt
If GM does reply back with a NA Z28, it would most likely be a variant of the LT1. I dont know if it'll make over 500 HP. Didn't GM have a tiny issue with emissions for the LT1 as well?

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
If GM does reply back with a NA Z28, it would most likely be a variant of the LT1. I dont know if it'll make over 500 HP. Didn't GM have a tiny issue with emissions for the LT1 as well?

I'm not aware of one, but I'm far from the authority on that. All I know is that they couldn't break 600 with an LS7 replacement and still pass emissions. Thus, the LT4 was born. The new Z06 is essentially a combination of the C6 Z06 and C6 ZR1. I'm sure the new ZL1 will replace both the ZL1 and Z/28 as well. The Camaro always follows the pattern of the Corvette.

Sponsored

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
^This

I'm sure the next ZL1 will benchmark and overtake the R, but it will be supercharged, and NA is my thing. The LS7 will go down as my favorite GM engine, at least for a good while. Chevy has no high powered NA engine in the works as of now, and they're not going to build one just for a Z/28. The 2015 Z/28 and GT350 are the end of a high-strung NA era.

The next ZL1 will also gain at least 200lbs. over the base model 1SS. Heavier wheels and tires, bigger brakes, heavier suspension components, and the blower and supporting hardware. The C7 Z06 is 226lbs. heavier than the base C7. That would put the ZL1 at a minimum of 3,890lbs.

And the GT500 will smack the ZL1 around again just like 2013.

Shakooza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
He didn't say they're not moving away from NA V8s. Ford struck last on the high powered NA V8s, and now, the emissions standards are going to make it very difficult to beat them at their own game. The Voodoo is probably the last of the breed. Once it goes away, I doubt Ford will have a direct follow up for it.

Good points....The FPC is a wicked way to go out!

:cheers:

Shakooza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
And the GT500 will smack the ZL1 around again just like 2013.

^^^This I don't buy. The Z06 engine is ridiculous and if they put it into a lighter weight chassis its going to get interesting. The Gt500 will win but it isn't going to be like last ten which was a slaughter. I expect much closer races....

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
I'd guess that the next GT500 will probably be an Ecoboost 5.0. That would be nasty. Can you say, "750whp with a tune only"? The GT500 will be very close to the ZL1 in stock trim, if not better, and the aftermarket power potential will be much greater.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app

Also, the 350TP was tested, not the base 350. I wouldn't say that the SS would be even with the base 350, but that it would be closer than people might think.
Very cool, thanks for the link. Both of these cars are total beasts, worlds better than anything we had in this price range even 5 years ago. Kudos to both companies.

And I agree with you, the Camaro SS would be somewhat close to the base 350, except that if I had the money I could not pass up on that 5.2 for the exhaust note at least.

Sponsored

BaylorCorvette

Track > 1/4 Mile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 C7 Z51
The GT350R may hold this spot for a while. If the corvette is any indication on what they're going to do with the Camaro then they will merge the ZL1 and Z/28 with the LT4 engine which is garbage for the road course. When I was at Texas World Speedway two weeks ago for a track event, the guy next to me had a C7 Z06 and he said he's over heated it a couple times. Another guy with a brand new Porsche GT4 said he had a C7 Z06 for nine months and did over a dozen track events and it over heated every single time, which is why he sold it and got the Porsche.

Khell86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt
Theres a lot of ways Ford could go about the next GT500. A 5.2L with some kind of forced induction would probably be good for 650 hp or more. Plus it would be lighter than the LT4. We know they can get over 650 HP just based off the trinity motor and if they carry over any of the weight savings from the GT350 there shouldnt be much weight gain. I could see the Hi-PO variant of the camaro being heavier, unless they go exotic and that'll raise the price substantially.

There's a lot of room left for the S550 platform in regards to pricing, not so much the camaro i think.

dcasandman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS Premium 2016
Isn't the z28 3 model years old now and prior generation? If the 350 hangs with the new model I'll be impressed then. As of now local dealers are unloading the z28s at low prices, so price difference is moot. If the GT350 didn't out do the z28 then that would be sad.

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
Theres a lot of ways Ford could go about the next GT500. A 5.2L with some kind of forced induction would probably be good for 650 hp or more. Plus it would be lighter than the LT4. We know they can get over 650 HP just based off the trinity motor and if they carry over any of the weight savings from the GT350 there shouldnt be much weight gain. I could see the Hi-PO variant of the camaro being heavier, unless they go exotic and that'll raise the price substantially.

There's a lot of room left for the S550 platform in regards to pricing, not so much the camaro i think.
i think the next GT500 should get 750 to 800hp,with cf rims and wider tires.i doubt the next zr1 has more hp,than the z06.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
I'm not aware of one, but I'm far from the authority on that. All I know is that they couldn't break 600 with an LS7 replacement and still pass emissions. Thus, the LT4 was born. The new Z06 is essentially a combination of the C6 Z06 and C6 ZR1. I'm sure the new ZL1 will replace both the ZL1 and Z/28 as well. The Camaro always follows the pattern of the Corvette.
Why did they feel the need to break 600hp with the Z06? Especially if the last one only made 505... I would've been much happier with a 550-575hp NA Z06 than the heavier, overheating LT4. The Z06 was never about absolute power, the ZR1 was.
Sponsored