Sponsored

350R VS Z/28

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Interesting, What I'm saying is it's a complete previous generation car vs a brand new platform. When both are setting on the current gen platform I think it's more relevant. Of coarse you can continue to be rude for no reason. Just saying I wouldn't be that excited to beat a 3 year old previous generation car. If I owned ford and my engineers didn't they'd be fired if that was our goal. I may be talking out my ass though.

The Camaro did the same thing when it beat the Boss with the Z/28 on a then eight year old chassis with a live axle. It's just the cycle. It takes a minimum of three, closer to five, years to take a car from drawing board to production. The chassis on the Z/28 may be old, but the Z/28 itself is only two years old. Ford can't predict the future.

They ended up with a car that's faster in every performance test, lighter, better made, more comfortable, and more exciting to the masses than its benchmark. It's also probably the last hyperactive American NA offering. Ford timed everything right, and Chevy will need a blower to "beat" them now. Although, that's going to be a touch-and-go victory for the LT4 from what we've seen. I call it a win for Ford in both execution and timing.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Another thing from the 1/4 mile portion, at one point, the Z looks to be pulling on the GT, if anything, after the launch and first gear, it should be all GT as the engine should never drop below 6K for the rest of the run, did we have a bonked shift in the GT?

That was just video editing. If you want to take it seriously you'd also have to consider the wacky characters and extra camera work.

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Your point is that in say, 70 degree 50% humidity with 93 in the tanks the Z would have made the same power and the GT would have made about 490?

I say it would've put out more than 471whp/376wtq, but I have no idea how much more. I'm also of the belief that the Z/28 LS7 makes more horsepower than 505 like the Z06 LS7. It has a factory K&N intake, shorty headers, and the necessary tuning to take advantage of those things. I think it's just more powerful than advertised, and GM probably modified it in a way that they didn't have to pay to re-certify it. That way, they saved on costs.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Interesting, What I'm saying is it's a complete previous generation car vs a brand new platform. When both are setting on the current gen platform I think it's more relevant. Of coarse you can continue to be rude for no reason. Just saying I wouldn't be that excited to beat a 3 year old previous generation car. If I owned ford and my engineers didn't they'd be fired if that was our goal. I may be talking out my ass though.

When a new car comes out magazines are going to want to test it against something immediately. They won't make any money if they kept waiting for a "fair match".

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
That was just video editing. If you want to take it seriously you'd also have to consider the wacky characters and extra camera work.
I'll can go with that, do you know how many passes they did to get the numbers?

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I'll can go with that, do you know how many passes they did to get the numbers?

If I had their job I'd keep going until I ran out of fuel or blew out the tires.

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
I say it would've put out more than 471whp/376wtq, but I have no idea how much more. I'm also of the belief that the Z/28 LS7 makes more horsepower than 505 like the Z06 LS7. It has a factory K&N intake, shorty headers, and the necessary tuning to take advantage of those things. I think it's just more powerful than advertised, and GM probably modified it in a way that they didn't have to pay to re-certify it. That way, they saved on costs.
Well then SAE is not what its cracked up to be, is it.

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Well then SAE is not what its cracked up to be, is it.

I don't know if that's the exact case, I'm just thinking that's very likely. No big deal though, the Voodoo still wins. The Voodoo needs only 500-1000RPM extra to make the same power as an LS7 throughout the curve on 91 versus 91 octane. Watch the overlay comparison, and you see that when the Z/28 makes X amount of power, the GT350 gets there right at 500-1000RPM later. The thing is, it makes power for over 1200RPM more. It's the better engine, and that's coming from a huge fan of the LS7.

By the way, I'm sure some would argue that the Z/28 makes power from much lower. It will feel more gutsy driving around town, but it matters little to nothing in any kind of racing or tracking. Over 3000RPM is where it's at.

Last edited:

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The Camaro did the same thing when it beat the Boss with the Z/28 on a then eight year old chassis with a live axle. It's just the cycle. It takes a minimum of three, closer to five, years to take a car from drawing board to production. The chassis on the Z/28 may be old, but the Z/28 itself is only two years old. Ford can't predict the future.

They ended up with a car that's faster in every performance test, lighter, better made, more comfortable, and more exciting to the masses than its benchmark. It's also probably the last hyperactive American NA offering. Ford timed everything right, and Chevy will need a blower to "beat" them now. Although, that's going to be a touch-and-go victory for the LT4 from what we've seen. I call it a win for Ford in both execution and timing.
The thing about your statement above is Chevy may offer a ZL1 variant with the LT4. But Ford will be releasing a GT500... I am sure GM will be crying salty tears again just like they did in 2013.

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
Gang I just don't buy into the "the Z/28 is on an old platform" vs the "new" GT350R argument. What comes to mind is "run what ya brung". I mean good lord, as another poster stated, it was not a big deal when the Z outperformed the Boss with it's outdated tech & live- axle. I guess it's just part of the Chevy vs Ford (Camaro v Stang) age-old war. No one really wants to give the other side credit :shrug:

I've said it before that Z-28 is a bad a$$ hot rod. But the price of that thing turned A LOT of prospective buyers off. Will never forget the day I was behind a modded black Z before I got my Stang. Thing was just sick! But Ford answered the 7.0 with a FPC 5.2 that revs to the moooooon, the GT350/R wins this round IMO.

Sponsored

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
The thing about your statement above is Chevy may offer a ZL1 variant with the LT4. But Ford will be releasing a GT500... I am sure GM will be crying salty tears again just like they did in 2013.

You could be right, but that's just not my concern. I don't care about an FI engine from Ford anymore than I care about one from GM. I didn't like the GT500 as much as the Boss 302, and I'm sure I won't like the next GT500 as much as the GT350. Same goes for Z/28 versus ZL1, and C6 Z06 versus C7 Z06.

Vernichtung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Yep, and then a year or two after the inevitable release of an S550-based GT500, Chevrolet will undoubtedly counter with something; a year or two after that, Ford will respond with something... That's how this works and that's why I laugh when people act as if the current S550 Mustang, in only its second model year, is the pinnacle of the new platform's performance capabilities. I'm sure Ford left plenty of performance on the table. :cheers:

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You could be right, but that's just not my concern. I don't care about an FI engine from Ford anymore than I care about one from GM. I didn't like the GT500 as much as the Boss 302, and I'm sure I won't like the next GT500 as much as the GT350. Same goes for Z/28 versus ZL1, and C6 Z06 versus C7 Z06.
I can 100% agree with you. If you prefer the road course thing, the Z/350 are the logical choices. I like the drag strip, so I am hoping the new 500 will not disappoint.

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
I can 100% agree with you. If you prefer the road course thing, the Z/350 are the logical choices. I like the drag strip, so I am hoping the new 500 will not disappoint.

I very much doubt that it will disappoint. I'm really betting that Ford goes turbo on the next go around with the GT500. I hope they don't call it an Ecoboost though, just 5.0 turbo/twin turbo would sound better.

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I very much doubt that it will disappoint. I'm really betting that Ford goes turbo on the next go around with the GT500. I hope they don't call it an Ecoboost though, just 5.0 turbo/twin turbo would sound better.
A FI variant of the Voodoo would be nice. I assume they would need 750+ hp to keep up with the marketing HP game though.
Sponsored