2018 GT vs 2015 GT on the dyno

bunk22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Auto
My 18 had an X pipe resonator delete on it but made pretty much the same as most of the other 18s. Besides that both were bone stock.
So the 18 is not bone stock, not exactly the best comparison. Impressive still for the 18 GT though.
Sponsored

TruBlue16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang GT w/PP
I see the 18 as a 15-17 that comes with a really good tune from the factory. A tune isn't going to improve things much for the 18 while a good tune for the 15 will close that gap quite a bit. In reality how much of these gains is actually due to DI vs optimized tuning? In addition you get higher compression, i.e. less reliable forced induction, and worse gearing ratios. I wouldn't mind having the magneride suspension but I'll keep my 16 GT and see what the S650 brings to the table.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
The new coyote is slightly larger, high compression, better cams, better tune, etc.

Is easily the most different 5.0 yet, including the Roadrunner variant in the B302

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
The new coyote is slightly larger, high compression, better cams, better tune, etc.

Is easily the most different 5.0 yet, including the Roadrunner variant in the B302
New heads as well.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Seems like a lot of made-up hate in here for the 18s....People seeing what they want to see. Bill is doing the best he can and providing real numbers. Just say thank you and move on. You’ll be seeing more of these results, I’m sure. The 10spd is trapping 118 - so that’s the real deal. Curious to see if the 6spd does similar (I suspect it might).

OP
OP

bill@cjpp

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cjponyparts.com
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
All the Mustangs
Bill, your car hit the speed limiter? 6500-6800 RPMs?
Yes 150 mph at 6800 rpm

Here is your homework assignment [MENTION=12797]bill@cjpp[/MENTION] :) Now find 3 otherwise stock 15 Mustangs with performance pack 1, 2, and 3 installed and add those dyno sheets into the mix ;D

It would be interesting to see how they compare. If nothing else the performance pack 3 would be a nice comparison.
Sure who should I send the bill to for the all these dyno runs? :D

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
It's all good. I think the new engine is showing great performance I just don't see why someone should upgrade from a 15-17 yet when it comes to the engine. It seems most of the performance benefits come from the A10 and magnetic suspension (off topic).

I am interested in seeing what a FBO makes compared to a FBO 15-17 though. It sounded like the tune is pretty spot on from Ford.

fewt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sure who should I send the bill to for the all these dyno runs? :D
The 15 pull looks quite a bit lower than the pre-install runs by LMR when they compared the 15-17 power packs, not to discount the 18 pull because it's impressive.

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Seems like a lot of made-up hate in here for the 18s....People seeing what they want to see. Bill is doing the best he can and providing real numbers. Just say thank you and move on. You’ll be seeing more of these results, I’m sure. The 10spd is trapping 118 - so that’s the real deal. Curious to see if the 6spd does similar (I suspect it might).
Hate? No. Just differing opinions and priorities. I've not yet seen a stock 15-17 and stock 18 run on the same day and on the same dyno. The 18 is awesome, but I'd like to know exactly how awesome. There's lots of speculation how great the 18 is, but show me. :)

EDIT: Personally, I wish the 18 was pushing 600 hp stock, but I'd settle for 500 hp.

Last edited:

Sponsored

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
So the 18 is not bone stock, not exactly the best comparison. Impressive still for the 18 GT though.
Don't worry, it's still early yet.

I'm sure very soon there will be a genuine same day, same dyno, same trans, 100% bone stock, 15-17 vs. 18 test.

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
I see the 18 as a 15-17 that comes with a really good tune from the factory. A tune isn't going to improve things much for the 18 while a good tune for the 15 will close that gap quite a bit. In reality how much of these gains is actually due to DI vs optimized tuning? In addition you get higher compression, i.e. less reliable forced induction, and worse gearing ratios. I wouldn't mind having the magneride suspension but I'll keep my 16 GT and see what the S650 brings to the table.
Do you honestly think a tune wont do much for the 18 with its revised cams, intake, heads, larger displacement, dual injection, higher compression, etc.? Cant wait for them to come out and see the bump in power.

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
For the '15-'17 all you have to do is install the FP PP2, a cat back exhaust, swap the PZeros out with some better tires, and you pretty much have the power and sound of the '18. Not going to be exact of course, but it will be close enough.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
For the '15-'17 all you have to do is install the FP PP2, a cat back exhaust, swap the PZeros out with some better tires, and you pretty much have the power and sound of the '18. Not going to be exact of course, but it will be close enough.
I entertained this as well (not to mention cost savings)...but the new 10 speed really kills this idea...and it is very nice.

MrFarms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I entertained this as well (not to mention cost savings)...but the new 10 speed really kills this idea...and it is very nice.
If you have the optional 3.55 A6, and the above mentioned upgrades, you will be more than fine. trust me :)
Sponsored