Sponsored

Who DOESN'T have the vibration? Reassure a prospective buyer.

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
My brother has a 2015 GT PP with no issues. I purchased a 2016 Ecoboost PP the day after Christmas. It has a sever drive line vibration between 50-70. It is terrible to drive at those speeds. It is getting dropped off tomorrow at the dealership. I will share the results.
Any update?

And how about an update from Ford Tech One? My car was fixed, it came back... What now?
Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Ive been reading these threads for months now and i've gathered that the vibration isn't coming from the stock driveshafts simply because many have had theirs replaced with no improvement. The irs cradle is alignment is the culprit. My situation was i had zero vibration with the stock ds at all speeds, i now have a dynotech ds and its still the same zero vibrations at all speeds. For Some odd reason some of the cars are not perfectly squared to the front k frame thus causing vibrations. The guys that have had their cars squared perfectly no longer have the issue and it never came back. The dealers that have fixed the issue often have it came back, so they didnt fix it, nor are they willing to align the car front to back. Granted this is a very involved process...so I understand their limitations. There are just to many cars that have this issue for dealers to take care of. Corvettes use stationary dowel pins to insure proper alignment of its irs cradle. Mustangs dont. The holes are loosly (bigger then the bolts) fitted and can be misaligned during production. If you do get yours fixed with proper front to back alignment i recommend steeda's cradle alignment kit and sub frame connectors to lock it in....

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Ive been reading these threads for months now and i've gathered that the vibration isn't coming from the stock driveshafts simply because many have had theirs replaced with no improvement. The irs cradle is alignment is the culprit. My situation was i had zero vibration with the stock ds at all speeds, i now have a dynotech ds and its still the same zero vibrations at all speeds. For Some odd reason some of the cars are not perfectly squared to the front k frame thus causing vibrations. The guys that have had their cars squared perfectly no longer have the issue and it never came back. The dealers that have fixed the issue often have it came back, so they didnt fix it, nor are they willing to align the car front to back. Granted this is a very involved process...so I understand their limitations. There are just to many cars that have this issue for dealers to take care of. Corvettes use stationary dowel pins to insure proper alignment of its irs cradle. Mustangs dont. The holes are loosly (bigger then the bolts) fitted and can be misaligned during production. If you do get yours fixed with proper front to back alignment i recommend steeda's cradle alignment kit and sub frame connectors to lock it in....
I have seen it mentioned in a few random posts that GM uses "alignment dowels". Are these only used during the build process, or are you referring to an actual provision built into their subframes so that if or when a cradle is removed, upon reinstallation there is no margin for error or misalignment?

2007GT500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Any update?

And how about an update from Ford Tech One? My car was fixed, it came back... What now?
My car spent 8 days at the dealership because they could not get a DS from Ford. After replacing the DS the vibration is much better but it still vibrates between 55-65.

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
The way it was explained to me was the corvette has them as a provision. I dont know about the Camaro or the SS sedan!

x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Mustang GT m6
My 16 gt has no vibration, no transmission noise. The only problem I have is uneven panel gap. I work in a bodyshop and can't get it perfect. It's close enough to live with but not perfect.

Salt Ninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Premium with 50 Years Pkg
No issues here. 2015 GT Premium.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
So if you don't have a vibration, or test driving a new Mustang , try this
1) Turn of climate control and radio
2) Accelerate to 60 MPH , coast to 50 and hold for 10-20 seconds while listening carefully
3) brake to 40-45 and hold
4) observe any change in sound .
5) Accelerate to 65 hold , then accelerate to 75
6) observe any change in sound .

Mix it up some more if you get a chance

I do think quite a few Mustangs have vibration, at least slightly . Most of my passengers don't notice it in my car, but I can when I do the above.

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP
Nothing, so far.

RJ

Sponsored

Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I am really hesitant to pull the trigger on a new 'Stang based on the seemingly large percentage of people with the driveline vibration. This sounds like a design flaw that affects many many people.

Can those of you who DO NOT have any driveline vibration post here? Maybe if I see a large number of vibration-free owners it will offset those with it and make me feel better about getting a new Mustang.

ETA: Specifically the GT
2017 GT 6 speed build date 11/2016. No issues.

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
Bingo.

Yes, I'd like SOMEONE to explain the SAME.

---

FordTechOne, are you an actual Service Writer, Mechanic, or are you the Body Shop guy who just likes to bust balls on this site? Because all of your responses are that the customer is wrong and Ford is right... Or you're doubting the severity of the problem and it really isn't a problem, but again just folks who are complaining about noting.

Funny thing is, it's been said that even in the INTERNAL Ford postings, even the most experienced Ford Mechanics IN THE FIELD are also questioning the issue - EVEN AFTER the SSM has been performed to the T, using all of the correct equipment. EVEN AFTER an FSE has also been out to work on the car, EVEN AFTER the car has been previously "fixed".

So, you seem to be "in the know", what's the deal, can you answer the above question? WHY after the SSM has been performed AND it's been confirmed by the Shop and by the FSE that the fix has reduced or eliminated the vibe, but the vibe has returned after more miles have been accrued?
I didn't know providing people with unbiased information was "busting balls". What "internal Ford postings" are you referring to?

There was an SSM released which details how to repair the concern. I've now seen it repair multiple vehicles; the critical aspect is that the technician knows how to use the vibration analyzer to perform the driveshaft balance procedure. It's something most dealers have never done and aren't familiar with, and I doubt a lot of FSEs have experience with it either seeing as it's not a common procedure.

On the vehicles that I've seen repaired, the vibration never returned. It's simple physics; if you balance the rotating assembly and the vibration is no longer present, the only way the vibration could "return" is if another rotating component became out of balance (which would be a vibration of a different frequency, order, and amplitude) or if the method used to balance the driveshaft (hose clamp, weight) was not secured properly and caused the driveshaft to become unbalanced again.

Screamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2116 GT350
My GT350 has a serious driveshaft vibration that starts at 79 mph . By 85 its severe enough that you won't stay at that speed very long. It also has a lot of backlash at the pinion and a whiny rear end.

Last edited:

qwk93ta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 M6 & 2015 Hellcat A8 (10.83 @ 127)
Any update?

He traded his ecoboost in on a 16 GT vert that does not vibrate......
Sponsored