Track Pads (Brakes Pads that is)...

OP
OP

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Totally different, the last batch of prospeed was made in 2013 or so. All the stuff for sale is what's left of that. Prospeed was a 2 man team and had a falling out.

The guy who originally started prospeed left the company and reformulated it to make it better which is now RT700.
Bingo. This guy. No thanks. I know that guy on a personal and professional level. I respect each to his own...but let's just say, I'm not a fan.

OP
OP

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Information to date on performance level brake pads available:

Performance Friction: There has been some chatter about offering a product for the Shelby's. To accelerate this, please call PFC and express your interest to help it move forward.

Hawk Performance: Engineer said they are jut now releasing pads for the Performance pack on the 2015+ GT's. The Shelby's will come later. Likely late 2017 into 2018.

Carbotech: Supposedly pads are available in various compounds. It has been mentioned that the Ford Performance guys in Utah are running them on the Track Attack cars.

G-Loc: Available in various compounds. Supposedly similar to Carbotech, etc. Various prices are on the web. Some are at MSRP (who does that?) and others offer better deals. Anthony@HTM has them if you need them quickly.

Raybestos: No info yet, due to speak with them today.

Pagid Racing: Supposedly there are some Pagid pad sizes that are compatible with our calipers (this has not been confirmed). Pagid offers numerous compounds, including race and street. These are quite popular in the Porsche crowd. (Personal note - I have run these in the past. They are ok and will last. Initial bite is progressive...) Pad sizes mentioned: Part number 8083 for the front, 8208 for the rear. Side note - Pagids are notoriously expensive due to the crowds that run them (Porsche, Ferrari...etc.)

Ferrodo: See below

Stock Pads: Mentioned that they are made by Ferrodo. I will call Ferrodo and confirm if other compounds are planned - Stock pads are readily available now and cost effective. However, I do not recommend stock factory pads of unknown compounds for running advanced track sessions. Many have mentioned zero fade, great bite, etc. However it in my experience stock, street rated pads will degrade very quickly in extreme repeated use. (Just my $.02).

More info coming as soon as I have it available.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Have Hawk moved away from that super corrosive and rotor unfriendly compound yet? I won't go back until then (street use).

I will probably end up with Carbotechs because I'm used to them and they do well for my skill level.

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
So, I race in a different platform and run exclusively on PFC. I'll step up and pay the price for their compounds every time and don't even think twice. Awesome product!

But, the GT350 isn't a race car for me and I'm not interested in swapping pads for the--so far--occassional track day. Personally, I am not going to run a race compound on the street. Having said that, more good choices are always better.

I'm a huge fan of Ferrodo, and I've been very pleased with the OE pads on the street and the limited time I've been on track with the car. That means that for now, I'll stick with the OE pads since I've not experienced a need for anything "better".

As far as the sub-discussion about Torque . . . It's a great fluid but the current business model and fulfillment is a nightmare. Yes, the man behind the product was related to the RS683 stuff, which was the result of some kind of falling out, disagreement, whatever. Too much drama, and not enough nuts 'n bolts business organization. I hope that Torque can stabilize and move past his/its mistakes since it is a solid product.

But, the purpose of this thread is about pads and it was a good idea to start it. Perhaps it can become a sticky in time.

Sponsored

cweller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It's a shame to make that sort of assumption. My colleague and I have been racing for quite some time now. We only started selling parts because there was a demand for a company in our area that knew the HPDE world well. I've spent a lot of time here giving advice to people.

We've raced using many brake pads. Performance Friction, Ferodo, CL, GLOC, Carbotech, Project Mu and much more.

Each brand has their own pros and cons.

I prefer Ferodo personally. Unfortunately they take time to make pads like many of the bigger companies.

Since Carbotech and GLOC make them they can laser cut backing plates and have their compounds applied to the backing plate.

GLOC and Carbtoech pads work really well. Their only downside is that they must be bed in properly. 95% of the people who call them junk are the ones who don't do this.

For the record I am running GLOC R12/R10 on my GT350 and they are performing very well.
My comments are based solely on my personal experience. I've used carbotechs, and compared to many other race pad offerings, they are pretty good. I just have better experience with PFC and Raybestos as I can get significantly more life out of them, and in my opinion, even better performance.

cweller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Information to date on performance level brake pads available:

Performance Friction: There has been some chatter about offering a product for the Shelby's. To accelerate this, please call PFC and express your interest to help it move forward.

Hawk Performance: Engineer said they are jut now releasing pads for the Performance pack on the 2015+ GT's. The Shelby's will come later. Likely late 2017 into 2018.

Carbotech: Supposedly pads are available in various compounds. It has been mentioned that the Ford Performance guys in Utah are running them on the Track Attack cars.

G-Loc: Available in various compounds. Supposedly similar to Carbotech, etc. Various prices are on the web. Some are at MSRP (who does that?) and others offer better deals. Anthony@HTM has them if you need them quickly.

Raybestos: No info yet, due to speak with them today.

Pagid Racing: Supposedly there are some Pagid pad sizes that are compatible with our calipers (this has not been confirmed). Pagid offers numerous compounds, including race and street. These are quite popular in the Porsche crowd. (Personal note - I have run these in the past. They are ok and will last. Initial bite is progressive...) Pad sizes mentioned: Part number 8083 for the front, 8208 for the rear. Side note - Pagids are notoriously expensive due to the crowds that run them (Porsche, Ferrari...etc.)

Ferrodo: See below

Stock Pads: Mentioned that they are made by Ferrodo. I will call Ferrodo and confirm if other compounds are planned - Stock pads are readily available now and cost effective. However, I do not recommend stock factory pads of unknown compounds for running advanced track sessions. Many have mentioned zero fade, great bite, etc. However it in my experience stock, street rated pads will degrade very quickly in extreme repeated use. (Just my $.02).

More info coming as soon as I have it available.
I've spoken to Raybestos, and they will only make pads if they have a template to work off of. So if anyone has a template regarding dimensions and sizing for the OEM pads, please let me know. The other option is to send some stock pads to them so they can cut the right sizes. If you find more information on the Raybestos please let me know.

cweller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
So, I race in a different platform and run exclusively on PFC. I'll step up and pay the price for their compounds every time and don't even think twice. Awesome product!

But, the GT350 isn't a race car for me and I'm not interested in swapping pads for the--so far--occassional track day. Personally, I am not going to run a race compound on the street. Having said that, more good choices are always better.

I'm a huge fan of Ferrodo, and I've been very pleased with the OE pads on the street and the limited time I've been on track with the car. That means that for now, I'll stick with the OE pads since I've not experienced a need for anything "better".
The only real disadvantage to running race pads on the street is you'll wear out the pads and rotors a bit quicker since they're intended to be used at a higher operating temperature. Most race pads will still stop great cold, but the wear will be accelerated. So for those that do a ton of street driving, race pads on the street are not a good idea. For those who don't put a lot of miles on their cars and just do some weekend driving, canyon carving, and track time, it's easier to leave the race pads on the car.

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
At present, I'm 95% street, and run the car year-round. The OEs are a great pad for this use, and are a really good pad for typical HPDE driving, even at advanced speeds/duration, though they do wear quickly under heavy use. Also, OE fluid and lines have not yet been shown to be weak points, which is a very good thing. As with anything, YMMV.

But, since this is a performance pad thread, don't get me wrong, a higher spec Ferrodo option, PFC options, Raybestos options, etc. will be fantastic. And, props to GLOC (and vendors) for gettting performance pad options out in the marketplace.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
At present, I'm 95% street, and run the car year-round.
That's my problem. My car isn't a dedicated track weapon. I need it to be a DD as well so I don't want to be constantly chewing up rotors every year. If I can get by with burning up pads once a year and rotors every 2 years, I'd be happy camper. I also will probably drive only about 6000 miles a year. Northern state.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I hear what many of you are saying. My car is not a daily. I drive it on the street to the events, that's pretty much it. MY experience level is higher than most, but dialed back from racing. Did racing...was too expensive/time consuming for me. I am happy, happy running Chin, HPDE, maybe even some Time Attacks.

Maybe eventually, I will gut the car and turn it into a more dedicated track weapon. In the meantime...I want the basics:

Proper Safety Equipment
2nd Set of Track Tires
Set of Track rate pads (equiv to my skillset)

Each to their own. I will tell you from experience...you will get more comfortable, and you will get faster. Seat time makes that happen. You will want better pads down the road.

Don't forget - Brembo's are easy peasy when it comes to swapping pads.

Again...my $.02.

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
That's my problem. My car isn't a dedicated track weapon. I need it to be a DD as well so I don't want to be constantly chewing up rotors every year. If I can get by with burning up pads once a year and rotors every 2 years, I'd be happy camper. I also will probably drive only about 6000 miles a year. Northern state.
Using the GT350 as a DD is a great thing, not a problem!

While trying to remain respectful of the purpose of this thread--consolidating info and getting more support for other high performance compounds--we shouldn't ignore the performance of the OE compound. They are great pads and work well as a street/sometime track pad. This is a good thing, and the pad is actually good enough to join the list of performance compound options.

Following the initiative of some other forum members, I had a chat with my local dealership's parts guy and got a significant price break on the OE pads. So, if price competitiveness is an issue when thinking about replacement pads, you should try to secure a discount.

Again, my thanks to those pushing the envelope and working to get more/better options.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Maybe eventually, I will gut the car and turn it into a more dedicated track weapon. In the meantime...I want the basics:

Proper Safety Equipment
2nd Set of Track Tires

That's what I'm looking to do. Maybe caster camber plates too and just leave it. I'll get something a little older to curb my mod bug.

OP
OP

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Following the initiative of some other forum members, I had a chat with my local dealership's parts guy and got a significant price break on the OE pads. So, if price competitiveness is an issue when thinking about replacement pads, you should try to secure a discount.

Again, my thanks to those pushing the envelope and working to get more/better options.

Right on. :thumbsup:

Good on ya for taking the initiative. There are some very good pads out there for both street and track. I tend to prefer street pads that are a bit less on the dusty side. The stocks are nice and work well, but the dust reminds me of Audi stock pads.

Personally - I like the best bang for the $. I will always try and find the best deal going. And...the stock pads are certainly a great price.

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I hear what many of you are saying. My car is not a daily. I drive it on the street to the events, that's pretty much it. MY experience level is higher than most, but dialed back from racing. Did racing...was too expensive/time consuming for me. I am happy, happy running Chin, HPDE, maybe even some Time Attacks.

Proper Safety Equipment
2nd Set of Track Tires

Each to their own. I will tell you from experience...you will get more comfortable, and you will get faster. Seat time makes that happen. You will want better pads down the road.

Don't forget - Brembo's are easy peasy when it comes to swapping pads.

Again...my $.02.
Chin is an awesome group, and I am currently scrambling to prep my Tech Pack for an event at WGI with them (as an instructor).

I'm with you on safety equipment and tires, and I know for a fact I will regret not having a better seat and harnesses, but, that's where things are right now. And, like you, I may get to a point with the car that I'll want PFC 11s in the binders. Luckily WGI is relatively easy on brakes and tires.
Sponsored