Sponsored

Z06 engines

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/chevrolet-corvette-z06-engines-exploding-reason-not-what-you-expect/

You may not want to click on the article. It's pretty crappy in my opinion. Basically it says Z06 engines are having issues, but GM is awesome and any problems are all the owners' faults.

I say it's somewhat expected when you have a high performance engine that there will be some issues. FPC is more difficult and high RPM causes issues. Of course, having an automatic transmission helps a lot with potential driver error leading to over rev, but it's not a magic bullet.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
The comment sections is entertaining. Basically calling the article click bait bs. I think the auto is a major help compared to a t6 in the 350. By help, completely agree with you. I don’t think it’s a surprise there’s some growing pains on the new platform. They’ll get it sorted. There’s a little crow eat’n going on by the corvette team toward the 350 team though. Lol

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/chevrolet-corvette-z06-engines-exploding-reason-not-what-you-expect/

You may not want to click on the article. It's pretty crappy in my opinion. Basically it says Z06 engines are having issues, but GM is awesome and any problems are all the owners' faults.

I say it's somewhat expected when you have a high performance engine that there will be some issues. FPC is more difficult and high RPM causes issues. Of course, having an automatic transmission helps a lot with potential driver error leading to over rev, but it's not a magic bullet.

Thoughts?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Ferrari precision on a GM budget is asking for problems, let's be honest. With that said, it's far too early to tell if there really are inherent issues or if its just assembly/manufacturing woes.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Ferrari precision on a GM budget is asking for problems, let's be honest. With that said, it's far too early to tell if there really are inherent issues or if its just assembly/manufacturing woes.
Whatever the case, a high revving DOHC FPC set-up - which is basically a race motor - is sort of "asking for problems". But that's the trade-off between a thoroughbred and a workhorse.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
ou may not want to click on the article
wow, that's what passes for an "article"?
That you need 500 or 1500 miles to break in an engine or it's going to grenade is complete rubbish. If your castings aren't shit and your CNC guy isn't a moron and your design and tolerances aren't criminally sloppy, the thing will work just fine.

And anyway, if there really was a ring-seat or chamber pressure requirements, that's what the ECU programming is for. My freaking Ducati and Aprilia enforce this on a vehicle costing 15,000 new. You can command full throttle all you want and it will ignore you. If GM isn't enforcing temp or mileage safeguards on their Z06 engine they need to be whipped with chains for being STUPID.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
As a long time GM and LS guy, I had an idea that these first models of the Z where going to have problems. It’s the first attempt at such a vehicle from GM and to think there would be nothing wrong with them is naive at best. Now the fact that GM is putting the responsibility of engine failure on the owner and only on the owner shows you that waiting for the second wave of one of these beauties is the best thing you can do.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Same here, long time Chevy/Pontiac fan. I would have been surprised if there weren't significant issues. I realize most brands have issues with new models, but GM seems to be the worst.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
It does say a bit about Ford and how they approached the Shelby’s and where they valued those vehicles. Ford made sure to take care of these cars. Understandably people were upset they had an issue with there cars, but Ford has done very good job as the warranties are concerned. Hopefully GM ends up going in that direction to and doesnt taint a very cool Car.

As a long time GM and LS guy, I had an idea that these first models of the Z where going to have problems. It’s the first attempt at such a vehicle from GM and to think there would be nothing wrong with them is naive at best. Now the fact that GM is putting the responsibility of engine failure on the owner and only on the owner shows you that waiting for the second wave of one of these beauties is the best thing you can do.
Sponsored