HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Pull up to carwash, insert money drive into wash bay, let machine do it's thing.
Should have got a convertible so you could do your laundry at the same time.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Not this way:

I called CPS (Car Protective Services).

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Interested in some feed back to compare notes. Simple question, how many times are folks rinsing the car after the wash?

Second what is the seen indicator, that determines enough ?

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Greg: For me as I mentioned elsewheres I think, two. One with the house system softened water to get the soap off completely. When complete, I dial back the pressure washer to 600psi, stick the di-ionizing rig in the loop, and do a slow rinse top to bottom, to "push" the harder water from the previous rinse, off. Pull her inside and give her a blow dry.

Obsessive I am, Yoda.

larr12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
Fyi www.meguiarsdirect.com still have a black friday sale with an additional 10% off and free shipping. Just ordered 2 gallon of APC and one of Hyper-wash.

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
Learned how to care for a Black Car back in 2009 watching The Junkman on youtube. Invaluable

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I think pre-rinsing is great if you can and have the availability to water. It sets everything else up.
It is especially helpful if you got caught in the rain or have visible signs of dirt, sand, mud, etc on the paint.
I am going to be experimenting with a non-pressure washer system next spring. I find that the amount of work and drama dealing with all of the pressure washer stuff is ridiculous and consumes a lot of time that I don't have.
It's also a pain to store/maintain (pump cleaner, winter storage) these pressure washers that seem to burn out after a few years (sun jo, ryobi, etc)
Going to try a K-12 manual foamer and garden hose method. I agree that less minerals in the water if you can filter it is wise. But once again it's all dependent upon your budget and whether how far you want to go with this. I am not a professional detailer, nor am I taking my cars to shows with the idea of winning a trophy. I have my 350 professionally detailed at the end of the year and a booster applied to the Gtechniq ceramic coating. I figure once a year it is pristine, the rest of the time I will maintain to a level that is acceptable based upon my time and budget. I want to enjoy the car, and with my ocd I am always struggling with how it looks, the dirt after one drive, etc.. It's getting better though.. my week spent in the TN mountains (it rained for a portion) this year really helped me to relax quite a bit.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I agree that less minerals in the water if you can filter it is wise.
Lorne: My hat's off to you for bucking the typical trend and trying something new, hope it works out well for you. But, I wanted to mention that filters on your water system will help a little but the majority of minerals are dissolved in the water and no filter can remove them. Distillation, an RO membrane, or a softener (aka a de-ionizer) are the only ways to remove those water-spotting solids.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with Lorne, regarding the pressure washer. Asked about the final rinse before drying. Guess most don't think that is very interesting or considered a key part of the cleaning.

As this thread is beyond over thinking, making a mountain out of a mole hill. Going to join the format presented .

I flood rinse, pre-soap and after, allowing the water to wet the surface longer. Raising dirt or soap off the surface and moving.

After washing, I find areas like the mirrors, splitter, tail light & for my trim the spoiler. Will take multiple rises before the water is soap/suds free.

And continue to rinse the whole car, until only water is seen, then dry.

Pressure scatters and blows water/soap into crevices. Then appearing during drying, and from some areas, driving.

Water seeping from these areas will contain soap residue, if a good rinse was not preformed.

In depth and over thought out cleaning post # whatever. The only point being made is. Maybe consider, soap residue after the foam canons, 50 bucket washing. Could be foiling your hard work

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with Lorne, regarding the pressure washer. Asked about the final rinse before drying. Guess most don't think that is very interesting or considered a key part of the cleaning.

As this thread is beyond over thinking, making a mountain out of a mole hill. Going to join the format presented .

I flood rinse, pre-soap and after, allowing the water to wet the surface longer. Raising dirt or soap off the surface and moving.

After washing, I find areas like the mirrors, splitter, tail light & for my trim the spoiler. Will take multiple rises before the water is soap/suds free.

And continue to rinse the whole car, until only water is seen, then dry.

Pressure scatters and blows water/soap into crevices. Then appearing during drying, and from some areas, driving.

Water seeping from these areas will contain soap residue, if a good rinse was not preformed.

In depth and over thought out cleaning post # whatever. The only point being made is. Maybe consider, soap residue after the foam canons, 50 bucket washing. Could be foiling your hard work
i've had this exact experience. I failed to mention it when I replied on this thread as another reason to go away from the pressure washer/foam cannon. I find soap everywhere.. seeping out from the spoiler, in the trunk lid well, etc etc... I end up having to blast with the pressure washer when rinsing to try and get it all out of the crevices...
The last straw for me was when I took my car into my detailer for a maintenance wash. I had just returned from TN and the car was filthy. I was so time poor I had to have someone else take care of it. He ended up blasting the rear badge right off the deck lid when pressure washing/rinsing the car. He's a stand up guy and explained what happened. He ended up repairing the badge and using some heady duty adhesive (think JB Weld) to attach it back on. So far it's staying put, but one of the pins is broke and I can see it's not 100% factory secure.
Going to have to replace the badge and/or deck lid eventually. I would like to get a new deck lid at PPF it before install.
Long story short.. between the setup, fuss and mess, electrical cord, etc the pressure washer has become more of a chore than what I really wanted to deal with...
I am also looking at this option for a quick foam up and wash for maintenance when I don't want to get the buckets out...

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the K12 foamer I am testing as well...

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
A final rinse prior to the drying process is probably just as important as the initial rinse. The final rinse will remove any lingering dirt and, of course, soap residue.

As you mention, the use of a foam cannon tends to necessitate a more targeted final rinse step, with attention given to the various shut lines around the car. To be honest, I have been using a foam cannon and pressure washer for so long now this step is just second nature to me. I also use my blower to drive water (and occasionally soap) from these areas anyway and follow up with a towel and a drying aid.

Is this over complicated or over thought............ probably. Keep in mind though, when I wash my car it's generally as a way to unwind. Adding a step here or there, and therefore adding more time to the task, doesn't bother me as I'm generally having a good time, enjoying some me time........and making my car look awesome in the process.
Sponsored