You are a fool if you street race

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Imagine being so ignorant that you think its ok to go 107 on a 40, and even worse you think its ok to do it at 2 PM when the traffic is heavy and kids are getting out of school.

Something similar happened near me in 2020 where two guys were racing, guy in a black mustang lost control and killed a 65/66 year old couple walking on the sidewalk. Literally just out for an evening walk together and were killed because someone had to show off. It wasn't even late at night, the sun was still out. Its a very busy street with lots of people walking at all hours of the day.

Like other people have said, you can't get a mustang near its limits on a public road, you will kill someone or yourself.

kaibab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Big D
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt convertible California special
back in the day even a GT could be used fully on the street. these days the limits of these cars are so high you really can't use them fully. this, oddly enough, is why i was looking at a GR86 instead of the GT i ordered. sure, not as fast, but thats kind of the point. if you aren't trying to be the fastest why go for the fastest thing anyhow?

I think thats why we are seeing more cars like the GR86 pop up. fewer ponies but way lighter and genuinely fun cars to drive at a decent price point.
I agree with you on so much street power these days. It is a automatic Class C felony in the Dallas area when caught street racing.

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Rapid Red 2022 GT Premium California Special 10sp
I confess to having done some street racing in my younger years but that was many many years ago and now I just enjoy the power my Mustang has in a more sane manner.

I have had several friends and acquaintances killed street racing. It cured me of that. I used to do some autocross racing so I know how to handle a car but the penalties are too high these days even if nobody gets hurt.

Traffic citations and already absurd insurance rates will punish you severely if caught and you WILL get caught eventually.

Sponsored

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Our local track closed and I live in an area with WIDE open roads. There are plenty of impromptu street races in my area.

They just don't happen in the city very much. Especially at 7:30am by school children.
I did a lot of racing back in the 80's and we had a area that was straight for a 1/2 mile and nobody around especially at 2am.
But the laws have changed now and if that other guy were to wreck and die they can very well charge you.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
And not a few Xbox games of similar ilk
That's where I learnt my ho-slappin' skills.

It's not easy, but somebodee gots to do it.

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Posting this because it hits home knowing the individual involved, and if it makes just one person think twice about street racing it will be worth it.

A while ago I posted in two other threads a news article about a guy I know who was street racing, hit a school van, and killed a 15 year old girl back in September. The posts were mostly ignored and in a couple cases even dismissed or poo-poohed.

Well, criminal homicide charges were just filed against the guy I know, who was doing 107 in a 40, and the other guy he was racing. Whether he ends up going to jail or not, whether he did anything intentional or not, the fact remains that he chose to drive at ridiculous speeds on public roads and his choice ended a young life, and his life and his family's life will never be the same.

https://www.wtae.com/article/samantha-kalkbrenner-dravosburg-crash-homicide-charges/46122466

Don't be an idiot. If you want to drive like that, there are plenty of tracks of all types for you to use.
Take the legal side out of it..Put yourself in the drivers shoes knowing he killed a girl.
And also realize he probably also thought " that would never happen to me"

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
Take the legal side out of it..Put yourself in the drivers shoes knowing he killed a girl.
And also realize he probably also thought " that would never happen to me"
why? if you kill someone and are responsible for their death in any way you forfeit your life. its over for you. I don't really care if you were street racing or doing a youtube prank.

life for life. that is justice.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
The inability to even use all the power that Ford shipped my cars with while Iā€™m on the street slaps me broadside the face every time I think about supercharging at least one. Then I rationalize that hey, I donā€™t have to stay in the throttle, itā€™s just for the rush of a quick pull. But hereā€™s the reality: if I stay on the loud pedal say in my ā€˜23 A10 Mach 1 through the top of 3rd gear (which is a normal pull for me) Iā€™m going so fast by then I donā€™t wanna look away from the road down to the speedo. And itā€™s often still a little loose all the way up so itā€™s prudent to be paying attention to driving. How fast is the top of 3rd gear in a stock 3.55 A10 Mach 1 anyway, anybody know? Always wonderedā€¦

I took a buddy for a ride in my stock M6 Mach 1 the other day and got on it a little. He commented that the Mach felt stronger than any big block Corvette either of us had back in the day. I think heā€™s right. You have to respect these cars, on the street anyway.

They say the human brain isnā€™t fully mature until ~age 25. Sometimes Iā€™m surprised to have lived through it.

Sponsored

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
why? if you kill someone and are responsible for their death in any way you forfeit your life. its over for you. I don't really care if you were street racing or doing a youtube prank.

life for life. that is justice.
I wasn't saying they shouldn't be charged. What I meant was you might get out of jail after 10 years but you live with that memory until you die :(

Fred Larson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
"They say the human brain isnā€™t fully mature until ~age 25. Sometimes Iā€™m surprised to have lived through it."

I once rented a Scat Pack Challenger (before I had my GT). The clerk actually measured the rear tread depth before I took it out. When I returned it, I told them "You should not rent this car to anyone under 40" having come close to killing myself in it, and I was late 60s at the time.

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT
I did a lot of racing back in the 80's and we had a area that was straight for a 1/2 mile and nobody around especially at 2am.
But the laws have changed now and if that other guy were to wreck and die they can very well charge you.
Yep. There is a risk in everything we do.

Let's face the fact that basically nobody buys or builds a 500hp+ car without ever racing or speeding.

I would rather see a bond issue pass in my area to build or re-open a track than to street race. But that isn't going to happen, either.

Making a quick pull on a deserted country road or racing an 1/8 mile at 2am on the outskirts of the city in an empty warehouse district carries some risk, but very little. No pedestrians, schools, or traffic anywhere to be seen.

I can't even think of any wreck that happened from racing in those areas. Yet, like most people, have had people wreck just commuting to and from work.

But again, yes I agree there is a risk

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
"They say the human brain isnā€™t fully mature until ~age 25. Sometimes Iā€™m surprised to have lived through it."

I once rented a Scat Pack Challenger (before I had my GT). The clerk actually measured the rear tread depth before I took it out. When I returned it, I told them "You should not rent this car to anyone under 40" having come close to killing myself in it, and I was late 60s at the time.
I will just say I wonder how I survived my 20's. To be honest my 69 mustang probably me safe because I never drank when I drove it.
When I was 20 DUI limit was .12 so we weren't the smartest generation :) not to mention no seat belts either.

CrackedHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Mustang GT/CS; 15 Mustang GT

How dis you almost kill yourself in the scatpack?
Sponsored