wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
Hey guys,

First post here and hopefully future first time Mustang owner.

I started casually looking for a used 2018+ and ended up on this forum reading about the huge discounts people apparently get on brand new models. I've found a 2020 I like with a 46k MSRP. What would you consider a good or fair price for it (out the door price before tax)? Prob sound stupid but I have never bought a brand new car before and had no idea you could haggle thousands off the sticker!

Thanks.
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Had no idea you could haggle thousands off the sticker!
You can't in-spite of what's posted on the net.

BUT .....if you want a Mustang that no one else wants, then you can get a few $$$$ off. And that's not a great way to spend your hard earned cash. Down the road a few miles that smile will be turned upside down.

Any car that is purchased with the wallet as the primary influence & payment schedule secondary. Owner will never to get to enjoy the full fun factor & value.

You'll find those owners, posting what do you hate about your Mustang, something like that .

The good deal smile turned upside down, payments rolling in, now hating the Mustang ............ yeah it's Fords fault !

Wake up, companies are not in the business to loose $$$$$.

Last edited:

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I bought my 2020 GT base A10 301A for $9k off of MSRP about 5 weeks ago.. It was already marked down to about $7k off of MSRP cash price. July discounts may be different. Just do a google search for current discounts and rebates. You will get at least another $1500 off if you do not finance with Ford. Pricing is a different up here in Canada due to exchange rate and other factors but the dealers always have at least $1 - 2k in it after rebates and incentives if they want to move the car.

AGM2018

Hey guys,

First post here and hopefully future first time Mustang owner.

I started casually looking for a used 2018+ and ended up on this forum reading about the huge discounts people apparently get on brand new models. I've found a 2020 I like with a 46k MSRP. What would you consider a good or fair price for it (out the door price before tax)? Prob sound stupid but I have never bought a brand new car before and had no idea you could haggle thousands off the sticker!

Thanks.

Many large, high-volume dealerships discount their mustang inventory as a common practice. Depending upon what area of nation one resides in and the supply and demand of mustangs in that area, the percentage of the applied dealer discount will vary. I would say that a 10% discount off the MSRP is a fair average for mustangs in general; in some geographic areas, the dealerships may average less...and perhaps, some dealerships a bit more. A good equation for purchase, in my opinion, is to take 10%-12% off the MSRP, deduct any eligible rebates and then calculate tax, title, license and any applicable "stealership" fees.

As Rapid Red said in his post, the dealerships, in general, aren't going to make/offer a customer a deal which loses them money; however, at the end of the day, as Matti777, said, the dealership wants to "move the car(s)"...they are in the business to SELL CARS. At worst, a dealership won't accept your offer; at best, they will. In the present automotive car market, if a buyer has excellent credit and the cash flow for a good down payment (20%+), my bet is a dealership will be eager to negotiate a deal to sell a car. YMMV.

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
Bought my 2016 gtpp new in Atlanta ga for 28k its base model but it was on the lot for a year. Come to georgia and you can get 10k off msrp! But you have to do your research on autotrader and do price low to high and if you find one you like print it off and take it with you.

Sponsored

DrunkMonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0
I'll say I've been working on several 401a a10 cars and it's definitely been difficult trying to get to the 12-15% mark after rebate on anything

OP
OP
wtb6mtv8rwd

wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
To circle back on the 46k car I mentioned, the dealer won't take a penny less than 43k. A 6.5% discount. A far cry from what seems to be considered reasonable on those forums. I'm keeping an eye out for a lightly used model.

OP
OP
wtb6mtv8rwd

wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
^That's laughable.

Well, as much as I wanted to support Ford by buying brand new, it ultimately didn't work out with that dealer. Ended up getting a lightly tickled 2019. Got exactly what I wanted and saved a couple more grand even after shipping.

DoctorJedi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camry
^That's laughable.

Well, as much as I wanted to support Ford by buying brand new, it ultimately didn't work out with that dealer. Ended up getting a lightly tickled 2019. Got exactly what I wanted and saved a couple more grand even after shipping.
How far away was the car?

Sponsored

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
Forums like this are a great educational tool, but I find too that it's a very small number of people who get these killer deals and brag about it. Most people get an average deal and save a lot less than the "experts" claim you can get.

It's not a bad idea to target a big discount, but the reality is that dealerships cannot survive selling all of their cars that cheap. The rare big deals are often thrown in at the end of incentive periods and contests so that they can make their numbers. The problem is, we as shoppers, never know when that is or where they are in the process.

OP, congrats on the new car!

OP
OP
wtb6mtv8rwd

wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
Forums like this are a great educational tool, but I find too that it's a very small number of people who get these killer deals and brag about it. Most people get an average deal and save a lot less than the "experts" claim you can get.

It's not a bad idea to target a big discount, but the reality is that dealerships cannot survive selling all of their cars that cheap. The rare big deals are often thrown in at the end of incentive periods and contests so that they can make their numbers. The problem is, we as shoppers, never know when that is or where they are in the process.

OP, congrats on the new car!
You're absolutely right and said it better than I could.

I'll add that -I think- location also matters as far as dealer discounts are concerned.

Thanks. Loving the car so far!

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
In Denmark our prices are a bit different due to taxes.

However I managed to cut of $9,500 from the listing. It sounds lke much but I am still paying $125,000 for the car so it is around 7,5% i got cut off.
My way around it was to see how much I could put on top on the order and still hold the base price. I ended up with a 401a PP1 with black roof, PP1 spoiler, Ford Performance stru tower brace and hood struts, wax-based anti rust treatment, coating of the paint and PPF on places often struck by stone chips.

We have a lot of Ford dealers in Denmark, but only 5 is approved to be handling sales on new Mustangs (Everyone can sell used) so the nearest dealer which I could buy my car from was 125 miles away

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Had no idea you could haggle thousands off the sticker!
You can't in-spite of what's posted on the net.
rubbish.
Just because South FL and California dealers are shysters doesn't mean you have to pay them. There are discount dealers in Tampa for instance. Or go shop in Idaho. Cars are routinely *advertized* at 11% off here in VA and MD. That's the high water mark. No, your backwater dealer who only sells a handful of Mustangs a year isn't likely to cut you any deals. So shop elsewhere.
Sponsored