Another one of those "what should I do?" threads

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
Background: I had a 2020 GT coupe, great car, sold it because Carvana offered me more than I had paid for it, so I drove it for a year for free. Then bought a new M4, great car, sold it because a dealer offered me more than I paid for it, so I drove it for nearly a year for free. Decided that I didn't want another $80K car, and so I'm back in the Mustang family. This time I want a convertible GT. There are very few options out there with a manual transmission, and the Miata is too small and cheap and uncomfortable for me. Used cars (any make) are just too expensive.

I trade cars a lot, even before the market got so crazy, usually only keep them for a year or two.

I have a 2022 on order through Chapman; ordered on 2/15, order received by Ford but no news since then. Other folks on this forum have gotten VINs and build dates, so I expect to hear something soon. Best optimistic scenario (based on what I've read here) is that my car would be scheduled for an early May build and received in early June. More realistically would be July, I suspect. It's a base GT, no options, black. I'm not very particular about color as long as it's not silver, white or red. It must have three pedals, that's a deal-breaker.

There are a few new 2021s on dealer lots, even fewer of those have a manual transmission, and they are all selling for MSRP. My dilemma is that I could go get one this weekend and enjoy it for a few months early, but aside from paying three thousand more for it than my discounted order, it's going to be a 2021, not a 2022.

The wife is like "what's your hurry?" but here in central NC, top-down weather is mostly spring and fall. It's too freakin' hot for an old guy like me to put the top down in the summer, except at night. But I commute to work in the day. I have my BMW to drive, so it's not like I need it right away.

Part of it is the American need for immediate gratification, another is YOLO, I could get hit by a train, stuff happens, enjoy it while you can. The flip side is, of course, more money, older car at resale.

The grown-up in me says wait, the child in me says "go for it now!"

Suggestions, thoughts, comments?

Past car pictures below for amusement purposes only.

DSC_3872.JPG
M4.jpg
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Hi Michael, and welcome back to the family. So based on the fact that you’re buying a base car, really don’t care about color, and will only have it a year or two at best, go get one now. If it is not a financial issue for you why wait. Get one and enjoy it now.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Interesting problem. I do not have an answer from experience. I tend to keep vehicles ten years or more. The only thing I can come up with is try to figure the cheaper path. What ever you buy will be replaced soon so the particular merits of an individual car will be short term.

I do have a question. How do the state taxes/fees add up when trading so often? I may be kidding myself by thinking I am saving money in terms of such taxes/fees by not trading very often.

Have you ever considered leasing?

OP
OP
BimmerDriver

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I do have a question. How do the state taxes/fees add up when trading so often? I may be kidding myself by thinking I am saving money in terms of such taxes/fees by not trading very often.

Have you ever considered leasing?
That's two questions. :crackup:

Here in NC the tax on a car purchase is 3%. Much better than most states. So my $50K Mustang will be around $1500.

I have leased before... quite often I don't keep the car the full 3 years of the lease, and it's actually more difficult and more expensive to sell a lease vehicle via private party because of titling and sales taxes and such. It worked well in the past with my BMWs, because they subsidize leases. Ford, other domestics, usually not so much.

Keeping a car for 10 years or more is much smarter in every regard, costs, hassle, dealing with dealers especially. I never claimed to be smart. :wink:

OP
OP
BimmerDriver

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
With all the plant closings, more delays for people who have ordered cars, I decided to go ahead and buy one already made. Most dealers I spoke with would only do x-plan on an ordered car, not one in stock. The exception was Randy Marion in Statesville, NC, who had this subtle yellow thing, no options just like I wanted.

Pic from lunch on the drive home.
20220402_125412.jpg

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
With all the plant closings, more delays for people who have ordered cars, I decided to go ahead and buy one already made. Most dealers I spoke with would only do x-plan on an ordered car, not one in stock. The exception was Randy Marion in Statesville, NC, who had this subtle yellow thing, no options just like I wanted.

20220402_125412.jpg
Congrats Michael, she’s a beauty. Glad you were able to find what you wanted.

luke1333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sierra

20220402_125412.jpg
Looks good but put that top down!!!

Dave in GVegas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 XLT Supercrew