HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The S550 Mustang was designed with more care and resources and meant to have a longer platform to grow, design off of. (Just like GM's vaulted alpha platform.)

As such, there is nothing wrong with a 10 year production run. (Heck, it looks like Chevy is going to take a few production runs, to get their car right...)
Alpha have been available since MY2013, Alpha+ (which the 6G Camaro uses) has been available since MY2014. So Alpha is older than S550. Unfortunately, its also better than the S550, which is why delaying the S550 replacement hurts (a little).
Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Alpha have been available since MY2013, Alpha+ (which the 6G Camaro uses) has been available since MY2014. So Alpha is older than S550. Unfortunately, its also better than the S550, which is why delaying the S550 replacement hurts (a little).
I don't know, maybe a diet and a few tweaks will make the Mustang surpass the Camaro on the road course, not that it matters. Mustang has it beat already in every category other than the track.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
...So Alpha is older than S550. Unfortunately, its also better than the S550.......
giphy.gif

Better on a track, and 98% of Mustang and Camaro owners don't track their cars.

Eagle-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
While its possible that Ford could've changed plans at the last minute, i'am still in doubt about the cd6 cancellation. I will lay it out bullet point style as follows.

1- A cd6 based mustang has been in the works for almost the past 3 years and at this point probably already building prototype models. For Hackett at this point to tell team mustang "hey stop what your doing, i want you to go back to the s550 and re-engineer it and accommodate for hybrid tech--oh and btw it still needs to come out for my '21" is purely insane!

2- The time and money it would take to re-engineer s550 would result in extra time and expenditures for the program and it would also mean that the current refresh would have to live another year or so. Again insanity!

3- It would go against Ford's mantra of consolidating platforms and costs with having fewer platforms.

Anything is on the table when it comes to decision making at Ford's top brass but to pull the plug on a cd6 based mustang, especially now that the market is starting to heat up would be a very foolish idea. Until then we need more sources than just a no name website and a person to start verifying this rumor.

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
I actually wasn't fond of the 2018 redesign but the fact that I now own one. And as soon as I saw mine I fell in love. I'm sure Ford will add new little things to different years. I personally love the S550 platform. I think Ford really thought out every little thing. And they make it known which is why it is doing so well.
I wasn't fond of the 2015 when I first saw pictures but as soon as I saw them on the roads I found myself liking them.
27629311_10155253901853730_9175310357964046956_o.jpg

Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I actually wasn't fond of the 2018 redesign but the fact that I now own one. And as soon as I saw mine I fell in love. I'm sure Ford will add new little things to different years. I personally love the S550 platform. I think Ford really thought out every little thing. And they make it known which is why it is doing so well.
I wasn't fond of the 2015 when I first saw pictures but as soon as I saw them on the roads I found myself liking them.
Yup... even down to the vert with the maximized trunk space due to the top design. All other car companies tell vert owners, "If you want trunk space buy a coupe". Ford went the extra mile... many people don't even realize.

Far as the body style, I could see it lasting until 2025... it looks great. I could see another refresh in 2021 as well. Either way, I think they win. Now, if they go with a redesign in 2021, that could be risky...

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
While its possible that Ford could've changed plans at the last minute, i'am still in doubt about the cd6 cancellation. I will lay it out bullet point style as follows.
You make a good point, particularly with regard to hybrid technology. It seems like wasted investment to retrofit hybrid technology to a platform that will be in the final three to four years of it's life.

It seems to me that this isn't quite the same as retrofitting a platform like the Fusion or Focus which already benefit from the packaging efficiency of FWD.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Oxford White 3.7
At least if I decide to buy an 18 now it will be an easieer decision I guess.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
There’s no way it’ll go till 2025 without another refresh. Don’t forget there were some nice upgrades to the S197 for 2013 over the 2010. I’d expect current styling to stay even as long as 2022MY but they gotta do something to keep it fresh those last few years visually. The refresh is new so people have a hard time imagining it looking old but in 5 years it will. All they have to do is a GT500 inspired bumper, new headlights and tail lights and they’ll be good for those last 2-3 years till 2025.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
I'm perfectly fine if they keep the current S550 chassis through 2025. Even more reason for me not to upgrade, and just drive my 2016 until the wheels fall off (65k miles and still counting).

Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Better on a track, and 98% of Mustang and Camaro owners don't track their cars.
But those of us who do track our cars certainly do give a shit, especially when you can buy a Camaro SS1 1LE with no extortionate ADM and at a cheaper price than a Mustang PP1.

If it's so inconsequential, why do we have threads here with literally hundreds of posts from people who are pissed that Motor Trend said the 1LE was better, and proved it to the tune of 3.3 seconds a lap? And meanwhile, we all wait to see if the average person can actually buy a PP2 or not since other than the hype, the thing is mostly MIA. GM is probably laughing their ass off over this whole thing.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I'd imagine that means in this generation they will introduce Aluminum body panels and other weight saving changes. Perhaps they would rather do that on a "known" platform than a new one.

5-OH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Fine by me, my favorite Stang of all time the Fox body sold for 15 years, so maybe the S550 will reach legendary status LOL.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
But those of us who do track our cars certainly do give a shit, especially when you can buy a Camaro SS1 1LE with no extortionate ADM and at a cheaper price than a Mustang PP1.

If it's so inconsequential, why do we have threads here with literally hundreds of posts from people who are pissed that Motor Trend said the 1LE was better, and proved it to the tune of 3.3 seconds a lap? And meanwhile, we all wait to see if the average person can actually buy a PP2 or not since other than the hype, the thing is mostly MIA. GM is probably laughing their ass off over this whole thing.
Well now is a better time than any to get into a new 1LE, most likely for under 40k since they are sitting on lots.
Sponsored