OP
OP
svttim

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
That doesn’t look like grabber blue. Looks like performance to me.

Also, video is kind of irrelevant. There was an aftermarket seat installed, that leads me to believe that car is not stock...
Its a Ford car, not modified. Since its a mule, it may have a different seat for comfort.

OP
OP
svttim

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Be nice if you posted the other times of the cars you mentioned.
C8 GT500 GT500CF GT350
2:00.96 sec (track setup) 1:59.68 sec 1:56.30 sec 2:00.57

Last edited:

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
That doesn’t look like grabber blue. Looks like performance to me.

Also, video is kind of irrelevant. There was an aftermarket seat installed, that leads me to believe that car is not stock...
Then the ZR1's record 2:37.25 lap on the grand coarse is also "irrelevant" because it had a race seat when GM set the time.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The GT350 didn't have a passenger seat either, if that matters. I think we'd best all think about this the other way around, though. The C8 has lesser tires, smaller brakes and a weaker engine than the GT350 and it pretty much matched the GT350's time. While it's not surprising, it's still an achievement. Just putting better tires on the C8 would get it within a couple of seconds of the GT500.

Sponsored

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
The video was the run. The information (faster)came from an insider at tne track
Where is this information posted? What time did the GT350 run?

Last edited:

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
The GT350 didn't have a passenger seat either, if that matters. I think we'd best all think about this the other way around, though. The C8 has lesser tires, smaller brakes and a weaker engine than the GT350 and it pretty much matched the GT350's time. While it's not surprising, it's still an achievement. Just putting better tires on the C8 would get it within a couple of seconds of the GT500.
Understood, but let’s look at the differences...

C8 has:
Auto so faster shifts,
Less weight,
More torque,
Higher top speed,
Optimized engine layout,
Shorter driveshaft,
Better track dynamics with less hood to look over,
Better aero with enhanced spoilers,
Shorter final-drive ratio 5.17...

And even with all that it’s still slower than the GT350.

OP
OP
svttim

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
The point of posting was all we heard about was how the C8 would destroy a GT350. I think we all knew better but, this is confirmation. BTW Im sure there was a lot of weight in test equipment.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Until the C8 offers a manual transmission (which means never, and the C7 will be the last generation of Corvette with a manual) I really don't care how fast it is 0-60, or around the track. I owned a C7 and really appreciate what GM has done with the C8 but not including a manual option on such an iconic American sports car is mind boggling to me. Especially when Porsche still offers one.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The point of posting was all we heard about was how the C8 would destroy a GT350. I think we all knew better but, this is confirmation. BTW Im sure there was a lot of weight in test equipment.
Fair enough, and I appreciate you getting the information out here for us. Actually, I'd looked at the specs for the C8 Z51 and concluded that on a good day with a tail wind, it might just keep up with a GT350 on MPSS's for a lap or two. When you have a really well-developed chassis, tires are everything in the corners, power is everything on the straights, and cooling and brakes are everything for endurance. The C8 Z51 doesn't shine in any of these areas - competent yes, but it's not at the level of the GT350 or the R.

From this test, it's a bit quicker than I expected, but the jury's still out on whether it can get to the end of a 30 minute track session without limp mode or cooked brakes. Future models will be more capable, and if GM can finally master the fine art of cooling, then they'll be amazing track machines.

Sponsored

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yes it does. You can see the stitching of the stock seat on the corner of the screen.

From this test, it's a bit quicker than I expected, but the jury's still out on whether it can get to the end of a 30 minute track session without limp mode or cooked brakes. Future models will be more capable, and if GM can finally master the fine art of cooling, then they'll be amazing track machines.
The C8? We already know the GT350 does not go into limp mode (if you didn't buy that tech pak) or cook the brakes. I doubt the C8 would either for the base car after the diaster of the Z06.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The C8? We already know the GT350 does not go into limp mode (if you didn't buy that tech pak) or cook the brakes. I doubt the C8 would either for the base car after the diaster of the Z06.
Yes, I was talking specifically about the C8. The GT350 was designed and tested to handle track use - Ford advertised a 24 hour endurance run with a GT350R that was part of making sure the package worked. Chevrolet makes no such claims for the C8, at least not at this time.