Wrenching on the S550

OP
OP

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
Nothing sweeter than a big block lope, I’m sure that was a very satisfying build, that’s a wonderful experience.
Sponsored

OP
OP

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
This was the only restoration I did, unfortunately my kids weren’t overly active in sharing my enthusiasm in collecting cars. I tried every way possible to include my kids and even give them this car but they just weren’t interested.
5F9881FC-678C-4B93-908C-B6642AF9EB25.jpeg
23BC3B0D-749C-40DE-8479-B15C6844FE86.jpeg
4A7942F3-76D4-4C47-9F0F-A0D54F430A91.jpeg

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
Well I tried to fix (take off) my Eibach wheel spacers and replace my rotors and pads. Also planned on painting the calipers while I was in there. While checking and torqueing the lugs the other day, one of the studs just twisted and broke. So since I planned on doing the brakes anyway, I figured I would run without the spacers for awhile until I figured out my next move. Not so easy. Took the wheel off and the first 4 nuts holding on the spacer, but the 5th would not budge. I'm using a Mac 650 ft lb 1/2 " impact and the compressor is a 60 gallon 300 psi unit. Lets just say I have NEVER had a problem getting anything loose with this. Plenty of penetrating fluid used next. Nothing. Tried heating it up and hitting it again with the impact. Nothing. I can't believe the stud hasn't broke at this point. I'm hoping to find a shop that has a 1000 ft lb impact and seeing if that works. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.
IMG_0264_LI (6).jpg

Sponsored

JKL1031

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP Premium
Impacts cause damage. Only use them for soft driving and removing after the fastener is broken loose. Go to HF and buy the long breaker bar.

OP
OP

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
Well I tried to fix (take off) my Eibach wheel spacers and replace my rotors and pads. Also planned on painting the calipers while I was in there. While checking and torqueing the lugs the other day, one of the studs just twisted and broke. So since I planned on doing the brakes anyway, I figured I would run without the spacers for awhile until I figured out my next move. Not so easy. Took the wheel off and the first 4 nuts holding on the spacer, but the 5th would not budge. I'm using a Mac 650 ft lb 1/2 " impact and the compressor is a 60 gallon 300 psi unit. Lets just say I have NEVER had a problem getting anything loose with this. Plenty of penetrating fluid used next. Nothing. Tried heating it up and hitting it again with the impact. Nothing. I can't believe the stud hasn't broke at this point. I'm hoping to find a shop that has a 1000 ft lb impact and seeing if that works. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.
Have to agree, breaker bar and a pipe, lift up don’t push down. Easier that way

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Impacts cause damage. Only use them for soft driving and removing after the fastener is broken loose. Go to HF and buy the long breaker bar.
Oh I know. I always loosen and tighten by hand when it comes to wheels so as not to damage studs and/or lugs. But when this wouldn't come off I figured the impact was the only way. And I tried a 3' breaker bar more than once...:frusty:

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Have to agree, breaker bar and a pipe, lift up don’t push down. Easier that way
Tried that before I ever used the impact gun on it. And I did lift up. Got to the point the rotor wanted to turn with my bro pressing on the brake pedal trying to hold it! Crazy!

OP
OP

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
[MENTION=27640]bjstang[/MENTION] idea sounds good.

I know yours is on the front but on the rear brakes you can slide a tool of your choosing through the caliper and into the fins to keep it from rotating, not sure how that would work on the front since you would have to wedge it against the caliper but it may be worth a try.

Sponsored

65 stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt 6 speed p/p premium r/r 65 hardtop 289
I have one the same color out in my shop, only it has the vinyl roof. If I could con my wife into it I will post a photo. This in reply to the gunmetal grey 65 above.

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=27640]bjstang[/MENTION] idea sounds good.

I know yours is on the front but on the rear brakes you can slide a tool of your choosing through the caliper and into the fins to keep it from rotating, not sure how that would work on the front since you would have to wedge it against the caliper but it may be worth a try.
It only happened once. He was able to hold the brake on the rotor the other times. I think he was just getting weak. (Older brother) LOL. I'm going to see if I can find an even bigger breaker bar and also put the nuts on the studs that are next to this other one to maybe relieve some pressure as another member suggested. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll keep you posted.
Sponsored