cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
Definately sucks all the fun out of wrenching. Any idea why that’s happening?
Yep, sure does. Not my idea of a fun time working on the car. Although it did allow me to hang out with my dad in his shop. I never seem to have the time to do that. so that's a positive.

The million dollar question - Why is it doing that? I really have no idea. Maybe extreme heat cycles or something? But if so, why, and why just those nuts? :shrug:
Sponsored

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Yep, sure does. Not my idea of a fun time working on the car. Although it did allow me to hang out with my dad in his shop. I never seem to have the time to do that. so that's a positive.

The million dollar question - Why is it doing that? I really have no idea. Maybe extreme heat cycles or something? But if so, why, and why just those nuts? :shrug:
Yep that’s definately a bummer, but shows what can happen when you enter the “wrenching world”. I’ve used anti-seize on my other vehicles lug nuts when using wheel spacers. Never had on come loose or have one seize up like that either. Of course the thought of putting anti-seize on lug nuts just rubs some people wrong, so use your own judgment.

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Yep that’s definately a bummer, but shows what can happen when you enter the “wrenching world”. I’ve used anti-seize on my other vehicles lug nuts when using wheel spacers. Never had on come loose or have one seize up like that either. Of course the thought of putting anti-seize on lug nuts just rubs some people wrong, so use your own judgment.
Yea, I thought about anti-seize AFTER all of this, of course. Very strange deal. I'm really looking forward to drilling out the next one !

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
18 Audi A3, 21 F150
Always loved wrenching on my vehicle. We used to do group install days when i was in the scion scene 10 years ago. That was a blast. Still hang out with my life long friends from those days too. Just installed my Lowering springs yesterday. It wasn’t bad. Wish i didn’t forget the impact at work. But i managed. Got a nice workout though.

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
???

The bolts for the exhaust hangers are 13 mm.
13mm =.512" so it's close. Maybe the 1/2" wrench fits a little loose but works.

jhammy49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Going back to why this thread started a bit..... I love to wrench and I still do a number of my own projects. Saying that, I've gotten to the point in my life where I can afford to let someone else do the things I don't want to. I haven't changed my own oil in years. I found a guy I trust and he does it at his local shop.

Saying that.... I cant tune these new cars. I remember jetting carbs years ago but there is no way I could adjust any fuel mapping today and expect to have any improvement.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a car and it's a mustang
Parts for this car are expensive at the moment. A Rack and Peanuts costs $400-500 :|

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Going back to why this thread started a bit..... I love to wrench and I still do a number of my own projects. Saying that, I've gotten to the point in my life where I can afford to let someone else do the things I don't want to. I haven't changed my own oil in years. I found a guy I trust and he does it at his local shop.

Saying that.... I cant tune these new cars. I remember jetting carbs years ago but there is no way I could adjust any fuel mapping today and expect to have any improvement.
I used to think the same - about tuning. But I can tell if you can learn to jet carbs / read plugs / set points etc etc....you can tune newer cars with the right software, equipment and patience.

Sponsored

Madtel4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
21 MACH 1, HP 1064, 20 Ranger XLT & 20 Explorer ST
I have used anti-seize on lug nuts and the back of wheels for years. Use a torque wrench. Don't use to much anti-seize. Never had a problem in hundreds of thousands of miles, some drag racing and some autocross.
Lee

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
If I put anti-seize on wheel studs I then wipe it back off with a rag. The tiny remains between the threads, I feel, is enough to do the job.

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I have used anti-seize on lug nuts and the back of wheels for years. Use a torque wrench. Don't use to much anti-seize. Never had a problem in hundreds of thousands of miles, some drag racing and some autocross.
Lee
The strange thing is, I have NOT used anti-seize on lug nuts and the back of wheels for years. I use a quality torque wrench always. I've never had a problem in hundreds of thousands of miles, either - some drag racing and some road course racing.

The difference here, and I believe to have been the problem and ultimate failure, is the aftermarket wheel stud and lug nut used in the Eibach wheel spacer.

I am curious and wonder if anti-seize may have prevented the problem, but after not using for over 35 years of driving and wrenching, it's hard to say.

FranzVonHoffer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mustang Base GT TP
The strange thing is, I have NOT used anti-seize on lug nuts and the back of wheels for years. I use a quality torque wrench always. I've never had a problem in hundreds of thousands of miles, either - some drag racing and some road course racing.

The difference here, and I believe to have been the problem and ultimate failure, is the aftermarket wheel stud and lug nut used in the Eibach wheel spacer.

I am curious and wonder if anti-seize may have prevented the problem, but after not using for over 35 years of driving and wrenching, it's hard to say.
Sorry I missed this thread. I had to do the same thing about three weeks ago but I did find out what the problem was. When I had my rear wheel bearings replaced under warranty the Ford dealer reinstalled my spacers with Loctite.
Which was fine except I didn't know that until I put a 200 ft/lb impact wrench on it and round one of the bolts, then partially rounded another.

I ended up having to cut the spacer off and in the process replace two of the factory wheel studs.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2156873#post2156873
Sponsored