MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I've got an OF GT vert, and I'd like to change the OEM vents to [gloss] black, especially now to compliment my new BMC GT350 wing (in gloss black).

I've been keeping an eye out for a set on Fleabay, mostly they're either: 1) not black or 2) beat to hell (I mean, if I have to paint them, might as well do my OEM parts).

I've seen the aftermarket options, some are a bit overpowering for my taste (like the Air Design), I see that MP Concepts has an option, $149 in gloss black, so not too expensive, and sized closer to the OEM design.

Then I started thinking, since it's such a small part, maybe I could wrap it. I've never done any wrapping (though I have done some rapping ...), but I'm usually pretty handy (I recovered our kitchen table benches :D).

Anyone done this?

Will gloss wrap have a really shiny, paint-like finish?

Is this a good choice for wrap product:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078X36BX2/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=A732MSRHC9CSJ&psc=1

(assumed 5ft x 1ft is plenty for the two vents, small roll)

Again, no experience doing this, but for under $20, I figured I might give it a shot. :)
Sponsored

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
There not to hard wrap ...you can also plasti dip them and then use a gloss intensifier.. if you look on eBay you can find some stock take off that gloss black that are pretty cheap.

OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
There not to hard wrap ...you can also plasti dip them and then use a gloss intensifier.. if you look on eBay you can find some stock take off that gloss black that are pretty cheap.

I might give it a shot for the hell of it, I mean, for the price of the wrap, it's not a bad experiment, looks like I'd have enough for a couple of re-dos too!

Is that decent wrap material? My quick research said 3M is the go to product.

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
I've got an OF GT vert, and I'd like to change the OEM vents to [gloss] black, especially now to compliment my new BMC GT350 wing (in gloss black).

I've been keeping an eye out for a set on Fleabay, mostly they're either: 1) not black or 2) beat to hell (I mean, if I have to paint them, might as well do my OEM parts).

I've seen the aftermarket options, some are a bit overpowering for my taste (like the Air Design), I see that MP Concepts has an option, $149 in gloss black, so not too expensive, and sized closer to the OEM design.

Then I started thinking, since it's such a small part, maybe I could wrap it. I've never done any wrapping (though I have done some rapping ...), but I'm usually pretty handy (I recovered our kitchen table benches :D).

Anyone done this?

Will gloss wrap have a really shiny, paint-like finish?

Is this a good choice for wrap product:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078X36BX2/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=A732MSRHC9CSJ&psc=1

(assumed 5ft x 1ft is plenty for the two vents, small roll)

Again, no experience doing this, but for under $20, I figured I might give it a shot. :)
I have the same wing, and I ended up buying the RTR hood vent set. They give a more aggressive look than OE, a little pricey but worth it, match my splitter and RTR upper well too. I had the Air Designs, sent them back to LMR, the quality of them sucked compared to the RTR set.

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
I might give it a shot for the hell of it, I mean, for the price of the wrap, it's not a bad experiment, looks like I'd have enough for a couple of re-dos too!

Is that decent wrap material? My quick research said 3M is the go to product.
Definitely 3M and Avery are the best that I used ..the Avery literally looks like gloss black paint really super shiny clarity in the finish.

Sponsored

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
I have the same wing, and I ended up buying the RTR hood vent set. They give a more aggressive look than OE, a little pricey but worth it, match my splitter and RTR upper well too. I had the Air Designs, sent them back to LMR, the quality of them sucked compared to the RTR set.
They air designed ones that I have gloss black and they look perfect..no issues

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
They air designed ones that I have gloss black and they look perfect..no issues
That's awesome, I liked the look but the one's I was sent had marks in em, and I didn't feel like having to sand them down and paint them for the price I paid for them. Now I'm glad I had that issue because I really do like the RTR one's better.

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
That's awesome, I liked the look but the one's I was sent had marks in em, and I didn't feel like having to sand them down and paint them for the price I paid for them. Now I'm glad I had that issue because I really do like the RTR one's better.
I dont blame you ...one day would love to get the Shelby super snake hood for the 18/19

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Do the grill inserts come out? If you can remove those, wrapping them will be easy, and then you can just shove those inserts back in. They're fairly flat without any sharp corners. You might get some crow feet underneath when you wrap under the bottom at the 4 corners but you won't see it. Use a heat gun as needed. Just clean them really well with soap and then a final alcohol wipe and dry with good microfiber cloths.

https://www.metrorestyling.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SW900-190-O

I get stuff from these folks, never a problem.
Sponsored