Sponsored

Would you say the mt-82 clutch feel is "numb" compared to other cars?

boos550t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GT PP Old : 2017 Base GT PP 2015 EB Premium PP @ismgt
I recently had some time to drive a 2019 civic si, and the clutch feel in that car is just totally different (as expected) than the mustangs.

I drove that car for about a week. Clutch is light as a feather and you can easily feel the engagement point as the car will start vibrating begging you to give it gas lol. It's very easy to know where the bite point is in that car.

Then I got back in my mustang and immediately noticed how the clutch felt heavy and the bite point is very vague. I almost stalled my own car...lol. I of course knew where it was because of muscle memory, but the feeling of knowing where the clutch is just isn't there. Almost as if there is no feedback at all. I do have the steeda spring, btw.

Funny enough I found the mustang's gearbox to be easier to drive because this car doesn't need much at all to move in 1st gear compared to that little 1.5t civic.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
not to me, Steeda clutch spring, barton hybrid 3 shifter, and bg syncrhoshift ii fluid did my magic

clutch spring 10 bucks
fluid 70 bucks
mgw/barton 300-400 bucks.

try the spring first, then fluid and then go to SS

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
With the stock spring, yes.

The Steeda Spring was plenty of an upgrade for me. Huge improvement.

Edit: Just saw you have the Steeda Spring - not sure what to tell you. It could still be better overall, but I'm not sure you'll ever get the feel of a Civic Si clutch.

77Highboy77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
My personal feeling is that Mustang clutch is very numb feeling as well, even with the Steeda spring. I've chalked it up to being a hydraulic clutch since this is my first car that wasn't a cable clutch. Even after driving the Mustang for 3 years I still have issues with the first couple takeoffs when I switch between it and my Rabbit.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
No mods needed, clutch seems fine to me in my GT. It definitely is heavier than my FIesta ST and heavier plus doesn't have as good a feel as the dual disc clutch that was in my GT350, though. It's lighter and has better feel than the clutch that was in my Z06.

Sponsored

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
No, I think the clutch is fine. Mines totally stock, but changing fluid and spring is something I may do. You can't slam the shifter 2-3 like an old Toploader, the MT6 requires more finesse. Will see down the road if a shifter is in the cards, but right now, no.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Compared to the clutch in the 2013 Mustang GT that I test drove, the clutch in my 2019 is way better. The 19 is lighter, and I can feel when the clutch starts to engage. Maybe not as good a feel as the mechanically connected clutches that I've had, but better then that 2013 GT.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I think the 18 and up twin disc clutches are much better, but I still needed the steeda spring to be satisfied. Mostly because the pedal wants to kick your foot off right when you get to the bite point. But overall the takeup is smooth and the engagement, while not incredibly obvious, is good enough to where I can drive very smoothly.

But yes, a lot of modern clutches are pretty numb. Honda is one of the few that still cares to make an effort with shifter and clutch feel.

Kleiss1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6- speed
What is involved in the fluid change? Which fluid? Jack stands work or lift? Thanks

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Manual fluid

2.75 quarts or liters or whatever

some use an amsoil covktail
Some use oem
Some use bg

Sponsored

gismo4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
The s550 has a clutch feel similar to my Honda.

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Funny you mention this. My Steeda spring arrives tomorrow. After 15K miles, I figured it couldn't hurt giving it a shot as so many people say it's a significant improvement.

If there's anything I would say feels vague and detached, it's the accelerator pedal which is nothing but an electric controller. Now THAT is a far cry from the old days where you had a cable right to the throttle body. I got a Pedal Commander to fix that on days where I feel like driving frisky...

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
What is involved in the fluid change? Which fluid? Jack stands work or lift? Thanks
Not much, drain and fill, but it can be a real mess. I'm sure you can do it with jack stands.

I swapped my stock fluid with BG Synchoshift. I think it helped a little, for me it certainly wasn't "night and day". I took mine to a local shop and just paid to have it done.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

Are you thinking the brake fluid/clutch is going to change the feel ?

It will not, the numb feeling complaint. Is a result of the hydraulic assist .

BG good stuff for the gear box....

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Not much, drain and fill, but it can be a real mess. I'm sure you can do it with jack stands.

I swapped my stock fluid with BG Synchoshift. I think it helped a little, for me it certainly wasn't "night and day". I took mine to a local shop and just paid to have it done.
the difference was notch, oem was notchy cold, butter smooth warm. Took forever to warmup

bg was like 50% les notchy cold, and almost instantly warmed up to same smooth warm
I paid 100 installed, fluid cost 70 by itself roughly
Sponsored