Sponsored

Would you change you mind if you could reverse your Mustang Purchase?

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I had a loaded 14 GT/CS. No way I would go back to that with my base 18 GT a10 pp1. This 18 would run circles around that full bolt on 14. Seats sucked.

What is your reasoning? Curious.
For one, the 6R80 is a much simpler less complex setup in the 13/14 which makes it simpler and more practical to tune. My 14 drove so much better than the 17 as far as having crisp shifting. I did not have that stupid rev match either which I have no use for. The 3 or four modes of shifting on the 17 GT 6R80 are useless on a tuned FI setup car. The 13/14 imo looks better than ANY S550 in any year. The SRA imo is a better route for drag racing over the IRS. The S550 feels more like some kind of euro-trash touring sedan rather than an american muscle car as well. The 14 went 10.82@131mph on 545RWHP and the 17GT has only gone 11.01@129MPH best on 631 RWHP. Its weighs about 300 pounds more and cannot cut the 60ft the 14 could on the same MY R series setup. From inside the car I feel like I am looking out over the hood of a Ford Maverick with a Grabber hood on it (many in this forum will have to google grabber hood to know what they look like). The hood vents are not as appealing as those on the 13/14 imo. The design to incorporate the cat and the header into one part on the drivers side is BS and forces a person to invest in LT's if they simply wich to delete the cats for off road use...granted the MAC option is there, but requires welding and few are willing to tackle the job because of potential joint leaks if the flange is not welded squarely in place. Further those willing to try I do not trust to do it correctly. I just like the overall shape and look of the 13/14 and what it has to offer better. People expect an S550 to be faster. They are more taken aback when see a 13/14 pulling on them in a play situation.

So what do I like about the S550 after owning one now for two years and more specifically my17? The color for one. It was a one year run white platinum tricoat or whatever its called (color code UG). Forged internals on the Coyote. The auto shifter is nicer than the 13/14 as well. The standard brakes are touchy compared to the standard 13/14 brakes but nice at the end of the track. I do like the rear tail lights as much as the 13/14 but that is about it.

I've had 5 Mustangs now since 2004 though I have been a Mustang lover most of my life. 2004 was the first year I was finally able to purchase my first Mustang GT later in life. Each car - the 2002,2005,2013, and 2014 each felt like a Mustang. The 13/14 was almost too refined to represent what Mustang had meant through the years since it first arrived on the scene in 1964. But I grew to like it very quickly. Not the case even after two years of owning this car 17. Way to foo-foo for my liking. I feel like I should be wearing a polo shirt, jean shorts, and New Balance tennis shoes when I drive it rather than jeans and a hotrod t-shirt.

If I want a Porsche or BMW I can go buy one. I don't want one. And I don't want a Mustang that makes me feel like I am driving some cheap knock off attempted version of some euro-trash touring coupe. So my search continues. I desire a 14 GT500. However I am developing a loss of movement in my left leg for some reason (need to get to a doc on that) and that has me considering another auto though I would love to grab gears again.

Hope that answers your question. You asked, and I held no opinion back. To each his/her own. Not here to debate the issue and will leave this thread with that said.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dominic msu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dominic
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Magnetic Grey 6SP 401A PP1 MagneRide Active Exhaust
4500 miles in on my 19 and I would do it again. Would like it to be more dramatic on the low end but plan on moving to 4.09 gears and adding the power pack to help.
Still think it is the best all around package for the price especially since I need a back seat for my kids.

Dan243

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I am very satisfied with my mustang. I bought the car with an idea of everything I wanted to upgrade to my liking. Even the smallest mods such as the Ronin drain plug(which is outstanding). The performance is great and a very comfortable car. The only other car I would want that would make me happy would be a 1966-1967 Shelby GT350.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
100% yes. After I found these forums I found the prices people were getting base GTs for and I definitely would have gone that way instead had I known. Still love my car though, but would have been great to get into a GT for not much more than what I really ended up paying for mine (with extended warranty, would have skipped that on the GT so prices were closer).

Sponsored

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Mine is not perfect and I come from the Dodge family... had a couple 392s.
5.0 is sick looks good. They can adjust that front end some... I like Challenger and Charger and the 5.0 PP1. Not sure which 1 I like more but i think the Mustang just edges it out a little bit...

I'm on my multiple Mustang (around 10-11, started with an 1965)) and while not perfect it's the best bang for the buck I can find. I have tried other brands (last two were BMWs) and went back to a Mustang. Am I happy? You betcha. Is it perfect? No way. But I don't want another brand. And perfect I can't afford, even if I did find one!
No regrets here - got mine new for a great price in Nov. '18. It's an Ingot silver 2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, A10, MagneRide, and Safe and Smart. For the money only the Camaro SS compares performance wise (full disclosure: I was a Camaro guy before the '18 GTs), but the Camaro isn't nearly as good looking as mine, is much less user friendly, weird ergos/tiny backseat and trunk, and didn't have near as many safety tech. features as the Mustang. Plus, I like the DOHC Gen 3 Coyote engine a LOT. And did I mention the Mustang looks a LOT better, and is a more iconic nameplate by a long shot. And to get similar performance from a German brand hot coupe (i.e., M4, RS5, AMG C63 S Coupe) you have to pay 10s of thousands more.

That said - the panel gaps on my car are pretty decent and the Premium features are pretty darn great! I don't regret going with the traditional analog gauges - I think they are good looking gauges. Better looking than the digital round gauges of the digital cluster.

For the record, if I didn't have kids in the house, I would have bought a lightly used 2017-2018 Corvette Z06 (since it was late 2018 when I bought). I still want a C7 Z06 even though I love my Mustang. But alas, I have kids that I like to drive around so the Mustang definitely fits the bill more than nicely.

If I had to do it again now or in the near future, I'd definitely go with the Mustang again over the other competitors since my kids are still young. Although, if I was in the market now I might go with a Mach 1 with the handling pack in lieu of the PP1. That thing looks awesome.
i agree with these folks it not perfect, but to get something close to perfect it will cost almost 30k more brand new. Its a great bang for the buck and is fun to drive.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Would NEVER have listened to my wife and bought a manual; not only
a manual, but a GT350 in Grabber Blueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.......:handsinair:

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yes and no.

Yes - it would’ve been much easier to finish paying off my ST. I miss that car every day and despite it being FAR slower, the handling, recaro seats and creature features made it a sweet, sweet ride. It was almost paid off and getting into my GT restarted that cycle.

No because I truly have a passion for Mustangs and am super fortunate and appreciative to have my GT. I have a lot of stuff I would like to do long term both power and handling to have a bad ride that I wrenched on and made my own.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
It's unfortunate Ugstang17 has had a different experience, but I respectfully disagree. In all honestly this is by far the best car I've had and easily my favorite, zero regrets.
Why? In no particular order:
- Looks: Fantastic. Not trying to be overly retro but muscular and aggressive, and unlike the 60s mustangs and later generations that tried to look like them, sleek and beautiful. A piece of art, especially on the sides and back. Someone said a new S550 looks like a "zombie elvis"...in a good way.
-Interior: Again, not trying to be retro, just modern with a muscle car flavor. A much nicer place to be than all previous generations hands-down.
- Engine: What's not to love about a smooth, powerful 32-valve V8 with VVT? For the price, nothing comes close. Unless you like your power gushing forth right at tip-in, in which case the LT1 is better. But it doesnt rev out like a Coyote, esp. a Gen 3.
- Handling: I'm not a handling guy and have a base GT, so best for others to weigh in on that. But it's not a weakling in that area, even the base GTs handle well, including on bumpy roads (IRS, something else no non-Cobra GTs had before) and are easily upgradeable.
- Reliability: I don't put a ton of miles on, but I've had zero problems so far.

Speaking of upgrading...keep in mind that the Coyote has more easy potential than any engine in any sub-60K car (new). All Coyotes take well to boost...a Gen 2 Coyote can handle a ton of power on stock internals.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Would NEVER have listened to my wife and bought a manual; not only
a manual, but a GT350 in Grabber Blueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.......:handsinair:
You could have done what I did, don't ask. It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. If I asked for permission, I wouldn't have it at all.

Sponsored

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I probably would return mine and get a PP1 with magnaride instead. Or even better I would have saved up more money and got a GT350..

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I traded a 2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S cabriolet for a 2018 GT Premium convertible. I did it because of fear of very high maintenance and repair costs. I should have kept the Porsche.

IamCDNJosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 F150 3.5EB FX4
Nah, I likely could sell it for more than I originally paid for it....