Sponsored

Would you buy a Mustang with a fully manual DCT?

Would you drive a DCT that has no automatic mode - paddles are the only way change gears?

• Total voters

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
There are a bunch of A10 drivers who have come from a manual who say they purchased the A10 because it is faster than the manual of that year.

I believe a DCT is even faster. I wonder if they simplified the computer so that there is no automatic mode, if it could be even more responsive. Currently, several complain that the computer in many automatic transmissions fight you for gear selection and use your input as merely a suggestion. What if there was no computer to fight with you and only you chose which gear to be in?

Let's say, for kicks and giggles, that Ford or some auto manufacturer comes up with a DCT that is only direct control - no automatic computer. You must use the paddles to shift gears. No clutch pedal. Also, there is not computer to fight with for gear selection. You and only you are in charge of selecting gears. The only computer is there for clutch and gear application that responds to your paddle input. There is no automatic mode to let it shift itself.

Would you buy it, yes or no and why?

Also, please indicate if you have ever driven a manual before and if this would be an appealing alternative to a stick?

If you had the choice of either a stick or a fully manual paddle actuated DCT, which would you want them to provide if you could only have one?
Sponsored

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I think it defeats the purpose of a street car if it were only paddle shift. Most people that drive auto's don't want to shift. I am sure a few would like it though. I can say that my 2008 Golf R32 shifts with no delay whether it is paddles or auto mode. When I looked at Cayman's I test drove both the PDK and manual. The PDK was lighting quick in both modes. I ended up getting the manual as i prefer to shift old school, but DCT's in general are going to be the fastest way to shift gears. Not sure if every manufactures DCT is as good as VW or Porsche's, but I suspect they all would be better than any auto of the same make.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I have a manual now and enjoy driving it, but as age creeps up on me and my knees get worse, the day will come that I can no drive a manual. A fully manual DCT would be a great replacement for those that prefer a manual trans but can no longer drive one. My DD has a traditional automatic with a convertor, but for my toys I want a manual.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....I believe a DCT is even faster.......Currently, several complain that the computer in many automatic transmissions fight you for gear selection and use your input as merely a suggestion. What if there was no computer to fight with you and only you chose which gear to be in?.....
You seem to be assuming DCTs don't give you complete control (other than stopping you from hurting the car), and act like automatic transmissions sometimes.

I have never heard such complaints from DCT drivers, only auto drivers.

5.0AVP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rapid Red 401A PP1 GT
Definitely not if it's just paddles. I had the DSG in my GTI and never used the paddles. It was basically an auto to me. If there were a stick maybe?? I feel like I would definitely kick the floor a few times looking for a clutch but if I can get used to auto rev-matching I can get used to not pressing the clutch eventually.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
You seem to be assuming DCTs don't give you complete control (other than stopping you from hurting the car), and act like automatic transmissions sometimes.

I have never heard such complaints from DCT drivers, only auto drivers.
I probably could have worded it better. In one breath I was pointing out that DCTs are faster than the current run of the mill automatics. In the next, I was really referring to the A10 and other automatics where there have been complaints that the computer takes your input almost as a suggestion at times. I'll put it to you this way. I forget which car was it that said they hard wired the paddles directly so as to avoid computer input. I take from that there can be some delay or issue with shifting. I forget which car did that.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
You left off "No, I had two cars with a paddle-only mode setting and used it perhaps 10 times in 9 years. The ECU is way more efficient than you at picking a gear and the paddles aren't much fun."

For that matter, you also left off "No, if you're going to pick your own gears, it's far more fun to use a car with 3 pedals."

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Wouldn't be prudent. I see no gain in dumbing down a process that will require a logic sequence, and PIDs controlled by a processor to perform manual shifting and disengagement of the clutch when coming to a stop as well as putting the car in reverse and park to begin with.
No cost savings and definitely no benefits to the customer over a DCT that can already provide the auto experience as well as manual shifting without a clutch pedal. Ford already tried to take a simplistic approach to DCT and failed miserably. It is called the FOCUS. That is why they had to go back to the drawing board and turn to other makers who have had success in the DCT world to get the trans for the 2020 GT500 correct...or at least it seems to be correct so far. Miles and wear will tell the whole story. After all Focus' were fine initially until they got some miles on them.

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I guess I am simply looking for a manual alternative. Of course, rowing an H pattern is best but I wonder if manual guys would be willing to accept something else when they are no longer available?

I can see there being a setting that could take a current DCT and force it to be direct control - manual only mode as a way to sympathize with the manual crowd. As long as it is not a worthless setting and gets you something, it might be worth it.

Manuals do have the benefit of reducing distracted driving. If there was a way to take the only available tech and make it more manual like, maybe they too will get that benefit too.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17085632/

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
If I were physically able I would have bought a Bullitt last year. Now, of course I have the A10 and rarely use the paddles. The whole "manual" thing is the connection between the driver, the stick shift and the clutch. Without the last two, you might as well just get an automatic or DCT.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
So does a sequential transmission have less connection?

Nothing says they have to be paddles. They could make it a stick that operates like a sequential that you just push it forward or pull it back with a really short throw.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I guess I am simply looking for a manual alternative. Of course, rowing an H pattern is best but I wonder if manual guys would be willing to accept something else when they are no longer available?

I can see there being a setting that could take a current DCT and force it to be direct control - manual only mode as a way to sympathize with the manual crowd. As long as it is not a worthless setting and gets you something, it might be worth it.

Manuals do have the benefit of reducing distracted driving. If there was a way to take the only available tech and make it more manual like, maybe they too will get that benefit too.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17085632/
Well you can get what you want.....

124045735-0058cb48-fda2-4a84-aa23-29277a29927b.jpg

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Why give up the advantage? The auto mode option is available in every DCT sold.

Would I buy a DCT over an Auto, yes.
Would I buy a DCT over a manual, maybe.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
So does a sequential transmission have less connection?

Nothing says they have to be paddles. They could make it a stick that operates like a sequential that you just push it forward or pull it back with a really short throw.
Less connection?
YES...!!!
There is no manual clutch and most DTC's have the ability to place it it in full automatic... so at times, you are letting the tranny do all of the work, and you become disconnected to the shifting completely.
My wife's 718 has a fantastic DTC, but it gets boring quite fast as it relates to man/machine interface.
Oh, and your question about just move the stick forward or backwards... hers does that and the throw is about 1/4". It also has paddle shifters. They can be used together...odd! Shift lever and paddles.
I have placed it into complete manual shifting and have ran it to redline several times waiting for it to shift... then realized I'm in full manual.
I have been driving sticks since 1980, so I'm not new to shifting, but I am new to the DTC's, and I am not a fan...!!!
Give me a clutch pedal.
If the car did not have the option to place it into automatic (i.e. F1 cars) then I would get used to having to shift without a clutch 100% of the time.

Last edited:

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
I'm using stick >30 years.
I would not buy a fully manual paddle actuated DCT.
Not possible to skip gears, which is no-go for me.
Sponsored