Wonky glovebox

missb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kylie
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Mustang EcoBoost
My Ecoboost has a wonky glovebox, that is, when closed there is a noticeably larger gap at the top on one side than there is on the other. Dealer said they will fix it & ordered a whole new glovebox. Rang today to book it in & they tell me they have to pull the whole dash apart to replace it...which scares me as this usually causes other problems...and in this case my car will be a guinea pig as they have not done it before on any Mustangs... Ford won't tell me if it is necessary to remove the whole dash & this doesn't seem to be a common problem, does anyone know if it is really necessary? Salesman implied it should just click out... :(
Sponsored

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Pic?

It would have to be pretty bad to risk having the dash dismantled IMO - especially if they don't know what they're doing. Could end up with all manner of scratching/gouging/rattles.

The complexity might have something to do with the built in airbag - every other car I've owned the glove box door has just popped out.

OP
OP

missb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kylie
Vehicle(s)
Will take pic tonight. Have requested more information from the dealer, they are supposed to ring me tomorrow. But also wonder if it would cause issues with the airbag deploying properly as it is...

IngoStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Fastback Velocity Blue
Also be careful the warped door isn't preventing the Glove Box light to switch off. Don't want to add a flat battery to the list

VNE000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Comp. Orange (Delivered Aug 2016)
Have a look at this video showing a radio removal - looks Ok and should give access to the glove box.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]csKNgrQNHUg[/MEDIA]"]

Sponsored

OP
OP

missb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kylie
Vehicle(s)
IMG_3081.jpg

IMG_3078.jpg

Best photos I could get the phone to take in the dark!

OP
OP

missb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kylie
Vehicle(s)
Also be careful the warped door isn't preventing the Glove Box light to switch off. Don't want to add a flat battery to the list
It closes ok, haven't had a flat battery in 3 months so hopefully that's not an issue. Thanks!

MC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red GT Fastback, due sometime in October
It closes ok, haven't had a flat battery in 3 months so hopefully that's not an issue. Thanks!
Oh dear Kylie. That's not good. Was it like that at delivery and it slipped your attention, or did it happen later? Looks like another thing to add to the list to watch out for ...

I hope it works out for you!

OP
OP

missb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kylie
Vehicle(s)
HOLY MOLY!!!!! That is terrible. I would not accept that..
To be fair, they're not trying to make me accept it, they're quite happy to replace it, they've already got the part in for me but I have just found out that they have to remove the entire dash to fit it & that is what scares the crap out of me - fix one problem, create who knows how many more! It actually doesn't look as bad from other angles...but it is definitely wonky.

Sponsored

Frostee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT
It looks terrible. Let them fix it, and make sure there's a written record of what they've done. Then you'll have some comeback if there's collateral issues.

Last edited:

Unkle Ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Weird how the whole dash has to come out to change the glove box, normally it's one of the first parts to come out before the dash.

Speaking from experience I wouldn't be too worried. Just because they haven't done a Mustang Dash before doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing. They have all the info to do the job the correctly and they will be more than experienced with Dash removal in other models, they're not all that different in how they go to together, just different shapes etc. Any work they perform will still be fully warranted including any damage they may unlikely do.

G RUSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT
[MENTION=23263]missb[/MENTION] you have a simple choice, live with it, or get them to fix it.

If they fix it and it causes lots of new noises, they will have to fix that too.

The mustang doesn't rattle during a normal daily commute but at 110+ km/h on country roads it does, and so does just about every other car this side of $100K.

All the best!

Stubai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (on its way)
It will be right just let them do it and if it gets lose then take it back. they will have three years of warranty to get it right.
Sponsored