Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Has to be supported by the car though, Ford's don't support it AFAIK yet and that would be a hardware compatibility issue.

Maybe @HextallS550 can chime in on the possibility though, I know I'd love to be able to keep my phone in my pocket the whole time!

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I'm pretty sure I saw a toggle on the sync3 screen for wireless Android Auto (but don't quote me). It will use the car's built in wifi to create the data link. Audio will likely still stream through bluetooth though. Something like this with Apple Car Play:
screenshot_95.png

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Has to be supported by the car though, Ford's don't support it AFAIK yet and that would be a hardware compatibility issue.
Yep, as far as you or I know. So, let's find out.

As said, the key seems to be the version of Car Play. If Sync uses 4.7 or above the article says it will work. And if it does work, it requires steps that apparently work with other cars where owners just dind't know what those steps were.

If you have Android Auto, please post the version and what version of Sync you have. If Sync doesn't have Android Auto 4.7, case closed. If it does have 4.7, try the procedure with one of the phones listed. If it still won't work, we know the article is wrong.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Google Pixel which it "should" be working on already (since early last year), but actual wireless support comes down to two things: the phone (including the Android Auto version) and the headunit hardware/software. In our case (and basically everyone's case unless they installed one of the few specific aftermarket headunits that support it), the headunit hardware does not support it.

Car Play version is irrelevant to Android Auto and AA wireless compatibility, but there are at least more cars that support wireless Car Play (namely Audi, BMW/Mini iirc, maybe spreading to more of the VAG cars now though).

Sponsored

Multitask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2020 MKZ Hybrid
For me, AA Wireless would be cool... BUT... it would have to co-exist with Sync, not take over as it does now.

AA for maps is better, but I don't always need to use it, so I use the built in, but phone calls and texting via AA is way better...

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT

Maybe @HextallS550 can chime in on the possibility though, I know I'd love to be able to keep my phone in my pocket the whole time!
Unfortunately, I left Honda and I'm with Roush @ Ford now so I can't comment on some of this stuff anymore.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Wireless projection is a new feature that has to be supported by the radio itself; it would require both a software and hardware upgrade (probably requires additional internal wifi chip). I'm not sure when Ford is planning to integrate this feature but many of the OEMs like GM are now integrating this feature and plan to offer it starting MY20 or 21. BMW and few Audis have had wireless projection since MY18.

I'm pretty sure the current Sync 3 would never get to support this feature, but i'd he happy if Ford does prove me wrong !

Sponsored

Multitask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2020 MKZ Hybrid
Yup, not supported on current Fords... as was said, maybe down the road. BT is not fast or robust enough for it, so it would work best with WiFi....

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Going to come with Sync 4, just curious on how they'll layout the screen in the Mustang if they bring it over with the next interior update or not. Seems a little too big (12" and 15" screens, but it does say "available" so hopefully they move to make the 8" standard finally) to fit in with how things are currently arranged.

https://www.at.ford.com/en/homepage/news-and-clipsheet/news/2019/10/sync.html

Wireless Phone Connection for Your Favorite Apps
With more customers pairing smartphones and mobile devices to their vehicles, SYNC 4 offers even more convenience by letting customers cut the cord. For the first time, Ford is implementing wireless implementation of both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as SYNC AppLink apps such as Waze or Ford+Alexa.

Customers will continue to be able to use both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi to enable simultaneous operation of in-vehicle entertainment and mobile device navigation while providing calls, music, and other features to be controlled through the vehicle's display. Available wireless charging capability also means you can juice up your compatible smartphone even while leaving the cords at home.

In addition to these features, Convenience Controls enabled by AppLink allow for the control of various vehicle features when equipped, right from your smartphone, such as lighting, climate or the radio.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
I don't mind plugging my phone in, it's nice to charge at the same time

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
My Samsung Galaxy starts up AA when I get in the car. Both cars actually, Mustang and Kia Sportage. Its in AA mode on the phone, but nothing shows up on dash boards. Kind of annoying because I need to jump thru the "exit AA shuffle" to get to my regular phone screen. That is if I don't connect my USB cable.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
My Samsung Galaxy starts up AA when I get in the car. Both cars actually, Mustang and Kia Sportage. Its in AA mode on the phone, but nothing shows up on dash boards. Kind of annoying because I need to jump thru the "exit AA shuffle" to get to my regular phone screen. That is if I don't connect my USB cable.
What do you want to happen when you get in the car with your phone?

There's a setting that will auto-launch AA when your car detects your bluetooth connection. You probably want to disable that.
AA App: Settings > Autolaunch > Set the slider to off.
You should still be able to open Android Auto from the head unit but that will only happen after you connect the USB.
Sponsored