Sponsored

Will the S550 SVT be Sold Overseas

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
It's been made very clear that the new S550 Mustangs will be sold outside the good ol' USofA. There's been a lot of press about the 4 cylinder engine being developed for Europe but I've been wondering if all versions will be sold elsewhere; especially the SVT variants.

I've been looking around and haven't found an answer on this yet. Does anybody have any info on this?
Sponsored

NRMStand

If they truly want to be a world player I sure hope they do. Going global with nothing but the most basic versions is a half hearted attempt IMO. Competing against some major performers abroad and they will have a lot of minds to change. I would love to see Ford bring their very best performing Mustangs over there and also have the SVT brand start to take hold outside of the U.S. now that the Shelby name will be (if rumors are true) even less attached to Ford's hi-po variant.

Callie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 GT Convertible
I would be surprised if it did. Not only will it be extremely low volume (and make a low margin car even less profitable) but all the regulatinos we keep hearing will affect hood clearance, engine size, etc..... which the SVT will have the most difficulty with.

I just don't see the sales volume justifying all the engineering gymnastics they have to do trying to get it in compliance overseas.

91z28350

Obsessed with Horse Power
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JAMES
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT500 - 837 RWHP AND COUNTING
Remember cars in many (most?) European countries are taxed on their engine displacement. So if they sell them, it will be in low quantities.

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
Remember cars in many (most?) European countries are taxed on their engine displacement. So if they sell them, it will be in low quantities.
Has not stopped amg, BMW m series, Lamborghini, etc from selling cars in Europe
Also Germany would be popular as well as Eastern Europe and Middle East

Sponsored

91z28350

Obsessed with Horse Power
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JAMES
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT500 - 837 RWHP AND COUNTING
Stopped, no, but the price difference between those cars and a 5.0+ mustang as well as the target markets are generally quite different.

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
Agreed low quantities, but not all countries are as bad as Scandinavia or Netherlands. Middle East has zero tax in general. I lived in the Netherlands and you would be amazed at how many m3's, 911's, ferrarri's, rolls, etc that are on the streets even though the price is three time the usa price.

sgt d

Threads
Reaction score
I have seen several current gt500's since I have been in Kuwait on the streets and at car lots so I would not see why they would stop now.

let me ride

Threads
Reaction score
I have seen several current gt500's since I have been in Kuwait on the streets and at car lots so I would not see why they would stop now.
Officially sold there or imported? I think that was the point of the original post. The stock S550 should already be Europe-ready for most places for things like the rear fog lights but they would have to adapt it for RHD use to officially sell it in Australia and UK.

Sponsored
OP
OP
UOP Shadow

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
That's another thing I was wondering: would SVT offer different models in the USA & overseas?

Would it be possible to have a twin turbo 4 or 6 for Europe & the FI V8 for the USA?

motoroid65

That's another thing I was wondering: would SVT offer different models in the USA & overseas?

Would it be possible to have a twin turbo 4 or 6 for Europe & the FI V8 for the USA?
Let me just say if they come out with a TT 4 or 6 and it's not available in the US, I would be really pissed off. I don't see it happening since the volume doesn't seem to justify a Europe specific SVT version but you just never know given Ford's history with this stuff.

Is it even a lock that the US and Europe get the same lineup of V6, I4, and GT?

mykrrrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FoST
Officially sold there or imported? I think that was the point of the original post. The stock S550 should already be Europe-ready for most places for things like the rear fog lights but they would have to adapt it for RHD use to officially sell it in Australia and UK.
Those are official GCC (Gulf Coast Country) cars sold there now. Same goes for the ones we build for the Philippines and the LHD cars we did for Japan.

As for the S550, we all know there will be a RHD car coming. I'd think they'll do a RHD version of the SVT but that's not confirmed yet. I'd be worried about the development costs of very low volume parts like headers to work with RHD.

stangray11

There's really only 2 markets they need to worry about RHD, Oz and UK. Wouldn't it be easier to just officially sell the LHD version of the SVT in any number of the Euro zone countries that are LHD and leave it to buyers who must have RHD to buy it there, have it converted and shipped from there? It's still a lot cheaper than coming from the states and I would think a lot cheaper than Ford developing a factory RHD SVT, albeit without warranty etc. I just can't see there being enough demand for Ford to do it themselves.

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
They are doing it themselves. That's already been announced.
When third parties have done it in the past, such as the 2000 Cobras in Australia, the price has practically doubled and the quality failed. The only right way to do this is to engineer it that way from the first, and to engineer all the pieces side-by-side. As a recent example, look at how well the Chevy SS is doing in press reviews (now imagine a properly done Falcon-type vehicle).
And don't say "SVT" - that's just a marketing label anyway. The primary engine for overseas s the EcoBoost 4.
Sponsored