Sponsored

Will the GT500 have DSSV Dampers?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Actually they are close enough in performance on the track that amateur drivers will have more variation in ability than the cars do in performance. And it will depend on the track. I'm sure the ZL1 1LE shines best on a big track like RA.
I'd be very inclined to believe the GT350 is more forgiving too. Put a Group 1 driver behind the wheel though (wait wait, a REAL Group 1 driver, not some bonehead who things his wallet is proportional to his driving skill) and I'm going to guess it's not going to be a good day for the 350.
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have to concur with Nastang on this one. Saying the ZL1 1LE isn't any faster than a GT350R is, frankly, a load of crap. The standard ZL1 has already proven faster than the GT350R, and the 1LE is quite a bit faster than that.

Chevy doesn't intend to sell a lot of 1LEs. It's not a mass market car. It's a car made to keep in your garage, and take out for cars and coffee or a weekend track day. It's not meant to be daily driven, its supposed to be a streetable track monster. And frankly, if the GT500 *R* wants to get anywhere near the same level of notoriety, it needs to be on that level.

If you don't want a track car, don't get the track intended package. It's that simple. That being said, I hope that Ford does include DSSV on their track oriented package, but I'm guessing they won't

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Packaging a DSSV in a GT4 car is a little on the tight side on a GT4 Mustang (and that's with narrow diameter springs that typically aren't used on a factory Mustang coilover).
I'd like to mention in regards to this, if they did add DSSV to the GT500, they likely would use a narrow coilover-style spring, as that's how how the 1LE's suspension is set up (as shown in the images below)
1le 1.PNG
1le 2.PNG

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
For certain. I wouldn't expect them to use a conventional, large spring with a DSSV damper. But they still may have to find room for a remote reservoir. With more coolers (one would hope), bigger wheels/tires, blower and ancillaries, space is at a premium.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
For certain. I wouldn't expect them to use a conventional, large spring with a DSSV damper. But they still may have to find room for a remote reservoir. With more coolers (one would hope), bigger wheels/tires, blower and ancillaries, space is at a premium.
Ultimately, I don't think it would be too big of an issue to mount the reservoirs low and rearward of the strut assembly. It won't have any issues with wheel clearance as it will be within the barrel at that point, and all the coolers will likely be forward to get air from the intakes in the bumper. Not to mention, there's word of the GT500 having wider front fenders to accommodate the wider tires, which could mean more backspacing to be able to mount an external reservoir

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unlikely that the fenders will offer any more clearance than a GT350 fender. The liner on the OEM cars slims things up a bit as do the lines running to the various coolers.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I have to concur with Nastang on this one. Saying the ZL1 1LE isn't any faster than a GT350R is, frankly, a load of crap. The standard ZL1 has already proven faster than the GT350R, and the 1LE is quite a bit faster than that.
I don't think anyone said that. Maybe try re-reading.

I disagree that the 1LE version is quite a bit faster than the regular ZL1. Yes it is faster, but they are close.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Except the standard ZL1 isn't faster than a GT350R on a track.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Except the standard ZL1 isn't faster than a GT350R on a track.
Depends on the track and drivers. IIRC, the Motor Trend test at Big Willow the ZL1 just barely edged out the GT350R.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Depends on the track and drivers. IIRC, the Motor Trend test at Big Willow the ZL1 just barely edged out the GT350R.
When the lighter car with wider, stickier tires, and more downforce looses all of its time to the ZL1in the sweeping corners, you know the test is flawwed.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
MT at Big Willow was almost half a second faster with the ZL1. And, as Nastang pointed out, the 1LE car is 2-3 seconds faster on a bigger track like Big Willow (or a full 13 seconds faster than the automatic ZL1 at Nurburgring). Comparing anything but same driver same day is absurd. It's less indicative of the car itself. If you need to rely on the opposing driver to be an amateur to have a marginally faster lap time, then you're simply the slower car with the better driver

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Does someone here think that with DSSV dampers the GT500 could both handle better and stay comfortable? Or are people rooting for the GT500 to be a car that has the magazine numbers but no one will want to drive?

I liked the spy photos that showed the GT500 being compared to luxury cars like the Merc. I think that's a good sign that Ford won't sacrifice street comfort for slightly faster lap times.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Of course there will be the standard, parade version for all the old farts that can't wait to wear their Shelby jackets and hats. We're talking about the highest (track) performing version available. I hope to God Ford doesn't sacrifice in order to satisfy the Cars and Coffee crowd.
Sponsored