Sponsored

Will my car start up fine?

Devil5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Whats the longest you guys have gone without starting your car up? Reason I am asking is because as most of you know most universities across the U.S. have moved all in person classes to online instruction for the remainder of the school year because of corona virus :beer:. I flew back home for spring break four days ago to get an email the next morning (literally) saying school was cancelled until August which is the start of next semester. Now my precious car is sitting in another state and I am not flying back to bring it home until April 1. Last time i drove it was 1 mile on Feb 27. You guys think im going to need to jump start it or it should start fine. I have 91 in the tank not e85 just for clarification. Longest ive gone without not starting the car is a week, but never a little over a month.

(P.S. Ill be sure to post the cold start video of that 1 month catless + supercharged + roush axle back and res delete cold start. It is going to wake the dead :cwl:)
Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
As long as the battery has sufficient cranking amps it should start no problem. Usually if you are going to leave it for long periods of time you should put a battery tender on it if possible. When you do go to get it and it doesn’t start a simple jump start with jumper cables should do the job.

I guess it depends on the life of your battery, how old it is. Is it the original battery. Is the car in a cold climate where cold starts uses more juice? Does the car usually start right up? Hopefully it will start ok when you finally get back to it. Good luck

Last edited:

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Battery may well be dead, these cars have pretty hefty parasitic loads. No big deal, a charge should bring it back to life in an hour or two, worse case scenario if the battery was really weak it might not come back so you go buy a new battery.

My car sits all winter and I found four weeks and the battery was totally dead. I just disconnect the ground now and it's fine all winter.

jgruben1134

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2 Velocity Blue "Moby"
That's just 2 weeks or so away. Should be fine.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My 2018 GT sat in the garage for 3 months. No battery tender. Started right up. Car was left unlocked and no other special considerations. I checked the battery before I put the car away and before I tried starting. 14.2v to 13.8v.

I was very curious what the parasitic loses would be from experiences with some other cars I have owned. If you leave a Porsche unlocked, the battery will go dead in a matter of days.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Just in case b
My 2018 GT sat in the garage for 3 months. No battery tender. Started right up. Car was left unlocked and no other special considerations. I checked the battery before I put the car away and before I tried starting. 14.2v to 13.8v.

I was very curious what the parasitic loses would be from experiences with some other cars I have owned. If you leave a Porsche unlocked, the battery will go dead in a matter of days.
Just in case I'd have a battery charger and cables just in case.eirher bring them with you or buy them.i have AAA AND they jump strart it for free.dont know if all gts have this,but when I don't start mine for a few weeks I get a notificationation on fordpasd that the car is in battery saving mode,and things like remote start etc won't work.finallt if it's manual you can jump start it in 1st gear if you can get a push from some folks. Good luck

OP
OP
Devil5oh

Devil5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
As long as the battery has sufficient cranking amps it should start no problem. Usually if you are going to leave it for long periods of time you should put a battery tender on it if possible. When you do go to get it and it doesn’t start a simple jump start with jumper cables should do the job.

I guess it depends on the life of your battery, how old it is. Is it the original battery. Is the car in a cold climate where cold starts uses more juice? Does the car usually start right up? Hopefully it will start ok when you finally get back to it. Good luck
The car is around 2 and half years old, always starts up very very quickly. Still on original battery and the temperature where it is is above 60 degrees everyday.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I had my original battery crap out after 1 month idle. 18 month old battery, stored outdors.
Dead as a doornail.

Swapped for an AGM, haven't had an issue since.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
I let my car sit for a month and a half and It started knocking then locked up after I started it due to all of the oil draining back down into the pan and not enough film on the parts whenever I restarted it

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
You'll be fine. A lot of these cars sit on the dealer lots for months on end without being run and people store them for 5-6 months out of the year (at least where I'm from). At worst, you'll need to boost the battery.

A good idea may be to crank the car over in clear/flood mode a couple of times to pump oil around the engine before actually firing it up. To do that, press the gas pedal down all the way then press the start button while keeping the gas pedal fully depressed while the engine cranks. The engine won't start, but will crank for a while and pump oil around.

Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
If you can get a trickle charger, do it. Car can sit for a year and start right up if you do. I leave the 66 Vette for 6 to 9 months at a time and the first restart is a breeze afterward. Left the Terminator repeatedly for 4 to 6 months on trickle and restart was a snap. Funny thing is batteries seem to be better than new after a few weeks on a trickle charger. No idea why. Others say the same.

OP
OP
Devil5oh

Devil5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
If you can get a trickle charger, do it. Car can sit for a year and start right up if you do. I leave the 66 Vette for 6 to 9 months at a time and the first restart is a breeze afterward. Left the Terminator repeatedly for 4 to 6 months on trickle and restart was a snap. Funny thing is batteries seem to be better than new after a few weeks on a trickle charger. No idea why. Others say the same.
Well unfortunately i cant keep the battery plugged in, as my car is in a covered parking structure at the university I go to.

OP
OP
Devil5oh

Devil5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I let my car sit for a month and a half and It started knocking then locked up after I started it due to all of the oil draining back down into the pan and not enough film on the parts whenever I restarted it
Wow, that definitely sounds like worst case scenario though

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
from Beginning of Dec to last week. So 4 months in a garage.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext