Sponsored

Will Gas Prices Affect Mustang Value?

Iwouldlikeamustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Hi everybody. I really want to buy a Mustang GT, Shelby GT350, or Mach 1. I am looking at new or used.

Does anyone think high gas prices will affect the value of new or used Mustangs by lowering the price of them at all? Should I wait to buy or buy now?

Wish I paid attention in Economics class. :crackup:

Thank you for reading.
Sponsored

rwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2018 Jeep Wrangler
short answer: no, prices will go up if anything

The gas price really has minimal effect on the cars value, what really matters is the car market. And if you’ve been paying any attention to that, it doesn’t seem to be going down in price anytime soon. Definitely a sellers market right now. If you have the money to buy the perfect car, do it now, especially with everything going on, you will regret waiting.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
short answer: no, prices will go up if anything

The gas price really has minimal effect on the cars value, what really matters is the car market. And if you’ve been paying any attention to that, it doesn’t seem to be going down in price anytime soon. Definitely a sellers market right now. If you have the money to buy the perfect car, do it now, especially with everything going on, you will regret waiting.

Do you think this goes for cars trucks motorcycles too? I expect material labor and shipping to increase
So these prices should continue to rise from that aspect too

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
It seems like the current economy is abundant, and people keep spending money like crazy so I doubt it. Prices will probably continue to climb, because of low inventory and high demand.

OP
OP

Iwouldlikeamustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Do you think this goes for cars trucks motorcycles too? I expect material labor and shipping to increase
So these prices should continue to rise from that aspect too
I’ve been trying to look this up online but haven’t found a lot. Some people said they bought SUVs and trucks at a lower price when the gas prices were high in the past, I think it was in 2008. I’m not sure about motorcycles but for cars, I could see hybrids, fuel efficient and electric cars will go up because people want to save on gas.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been trying to look this up online but haven’t found a lot. Some people said they bought SUVs and trucks at a lower price when the gas prices were high in the past, I think it was in 2008. I’m not sure about motorcycles but for cars, I could see hybrids, fuel efficient and electric cars will go up because people want to save on gas.
It’s funny, my area has tons of giant lifted trucks. Like 1/3 of the vehicles in my neighborhoods are newly gotten SUV’s and trucks since the free COVID money people got.

Fast forward, those don’t even move anymore

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Vehicles bought as daily drivers like larger SUV's and pickups could be effected by rising gas prices. People will move to smaller vehicles like the Maverick or Escape instead of a F150 or Explorer (just examples). This is not the case for the Mustang or other performance vehicles. Yes, it might actually increase Ecoboost sales because of its better mileage. But for those who want the power and sound of a Coyote the price of gas is not going to be a major issue.

OP
OP

Iwouldlikeamustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
It’s funny, my area has tons of giant lifted trucks. Like 1/3 of the vehicles in my neighborhoods are newly gotten SUV’s and trucks since the free COVID money people got.

I remember when COVID first started. I couldn’t find a new vehicle because as soon as it would arrive on the dealer lot, it would sell within an hour or less. And people were staying home because of the mandatory quarantine. I didn’t understand why they had to buy if they didn’t even drive their brand new vehicles.

OP
OP

Iwouldlikeamustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Vehicles bought as daily drivers like larger SUV's and pickups could be effected by rising gas prices. People will move to smaller vehicles like the Maverick or Escape instead of a F150 or Explorer (just examples). This is not the case for the Mustang or other performance vehicles. Yes, it might actually increase Ecoboost sales because of its better mileage. But for those who want the power and sound of a Coyote the price of gas is not going to be a major issue.
I considered an Ecoboost because they seem a little easier to find brand new and they’re cheaper then a GT. But I would like that v8 sound. I think I would be happy with the power of an Ecoboost though.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I remember when COVID first started. I couldn’t find a new vehicle because as soon as it would arrive on the dealer lot, it would sell within an hour or less. And people were staying home because of the mandatory quarantine. I didn’t understand why they had to buy if they didn’t even drive their brand new vehicles.
Your making a number of presumptions that may or may not be true. People buy cars for a number of different reasons and not everyone, everywhere was quarantined. Dealers had good inventories through most of 2020. That's why the deals were so good. Pricing dictated buying even if the buyers were home. Then the chip shortages started showing up and production dropped. Inventories went down and prices have risen since.

As far as the Ecoboost, most find the power, especially down low, to be more than adequate. My 15' EB was a beast. The top of the power band came way too quickly but off the line it was very impressive. But I wanted that sound and traded my EB for MY GT/CS. I loved my EB but do not regret it for a second.

Old & new back in March 2019.

Cali 3-23-19 17.jpg

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

Where is this stupendous glut of free Covid money so many speak of?

Because what I got wasn't enough to buy a new vehicle, or anything close.... :wink:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Where is this stupendous glut of free Covid money so many speak of?

Because what I got wasn't enough to buy a new vehicle, or anything close.... :wink:
I’m in Dayton/trotwood Ohio. Not a single damn person here was working. Literally all the cars here were held on by duck tape and trash bags over windows.

COVID hit, the effect was interesting. Plethora of new (used) mainly and a lot of new cars flooded the streets. All temp tags, 6 months later. All the cars now was dubbed out. Giant rims, blacked out tint, neon lights under glow etc. 15 inch woofers I swear.

Also a ton of motorcycles and dirt. Bikes and 4 wheelers, people was flying up and down roads on these bikes and dirt Bikes etc no plates doing wheelies.

Yeah, I mean it when I say free money. My area is welfare central and it was sadly abused.

I t boned a chic a while back who was one of these new cars, same day she got it. She took left out of right turn to skip 4 cars waiting.

Told me she didn’t have insurance, etc I called cops, then she lied on all paperwork, she had insurance and has false witnesses,

Her story got busted, then of course. She told my lawyer that I didn’t stop due to her skin color.

Kidding me? /entrant. I’m suing her

Just Google trotwood Ohio news… we have gunshots.. car robberies, car jacking.. murders.. everyday here. We literally have zero business because all the stores was looted and robbed so they packed up and left.

We had a guy go into a barber shop and mow people down. None of this makes national news because it’s normal here. I hear gunshots every 2 days pop pop, popopppopop. Then cops

Last edited:

ZeroTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ZERO
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I disagree w/ some of the posts here. Substantially higher fuel prices (e.g. $4.00+ a gallon averages) will indeed lower the value of fuel inefficient vehicles and increase the value of fuel-efficient vehicles. Our Toyota Prius is currently worth almost as much as we paid for it 6 YEARS ago. 6 YEARS ago. Read that again. I think the reason is obvious. Lots of Prius envy about to ensue, haha.

Anyway, as a factual statement, the last time gas prices got super high (2008), full-size pickup truck prices plummeted.... you could buy new trucks 15k off MSRP without even negotiating.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
the recent rises in fuel prices here certainly hit my wallet. It's gone from ÂŁ80 to ÂŁ110 to fill the tank from totally empty with Shell v-Power since January.

FYI that's now approx $145 from empty. At these prices I wouldn't buy a Mustang if I was looking for a replacement car. They are reporting that we will soon be paying ÂŁ2 / litre for regular fuel so approx ÂŁ2.20/litre for v-power (or $10.9/US gallon), which means that we have the ÂŁ134 per tank to look forward too. Joy :(
Sponsored