Sponsored

Why the White Gear Knob?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Me neither. Interesting. Thanks for the movie trivia report :).
Sponsored

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
And Leonardo D C,s character was loosely based on Burt Reynolds who was best friends with Hickman.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Interesting stuff!

So...what shift knob would Frank have had? Not sure he was a a car guy necessarily, so would he have changed it from stock? And if a previous owner had done so, what was the 'go to' knob of the time?

Last edited:

zack.whitford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Interesting stuff!

So...what shift knob would Frank have had? Not sure he was a a car guy necessarily, so would he have changed it from stock? And if a previous owner had done so, what was the 'go to' knob of the time?
Frank Bullitt? I think he was supposed to be a car guy. McQueen picked the Mustang because he wanted Frank to have a spirited machine that the audience would believe a detective could afford. I also think the Torq Thrusts were indicative that the character had done some light modifications to the car. The shift knob was probably stock but I think the steering wheel was actually a transplant from a GT500.

I think the 'go to' aftermarket shifter back then was probably the cue ball.

Usmc341

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullit
It actually looks cool (movie be damned. Ha ha), so that's fine with me :). By the way, I searched for that movie on Netflix here in the US, and no dice. Will search again, in case it was just put in here as well. By the way, is it even worth watching? Remember reading reviews that it was crap. Thx. Oh, and I did watch the chase scene on Youtube after buying the car :D.
Just YouTube the chase scene. It's the best part of the movie anyway

Sponsored

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
In 1968 my dad rode with other guys to work in a car pool. One sunny day I earned a few bucks to clean a '66 Mercury Comet Cyclone. Wearing factory dark green paint, that 390 CI car had a white interior and a factory 4 speed with a factory white cue ball shift knob.

An aftermarket addition of a cue ball shift knob to a floor shift car was very popular in the 60's. It was a cheap way to add a "cool" factor to your car.