Sponsored

Why several coats of paint/primer used?

AnimalMother7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
We put a deposit on this car (out of state) so I had a local mechanic look at it for us. He took these pictures of the rear quarter wheel well. It looks like there are at least 3 coats of paint. Th dealership said they weren't aware of it and have offered to take it to the body shop for a proper repair and offered to unwind the deal if it turns into a "tip of the iceberg" situation. But why would you need to layer paint and primer like this?

image0 (12).jpeg

image002.jpg
Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
We put a deposit on this car (out of state) so I had a local mechanic look at it for us. He took these pictures of the rear quarter wheel well. It looks like there are at least 3 coats of paint. Th dealership said they weren't aware of it and have offered to take it to the body shop for a proper repair and offered to unwind the deal if it turns into a "tip of the iceberg" situation. But why would you need to layer paint and primer like this?

image0 (12).jpeg

image002.jpg
Multiple accidents.did you get a car fax.itll show up there

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
Clean car fax. Car fax only knows what car fax is told.
Iā€™ve posted this in the pastā€¦.FWIW I donā€™t trust Carfaxā€¦Back in 2014 my wifeā€™s new Scion Tc was involved in two minor accidents requiring insurance claims & body work both times. After the second accident I decided to trade it in for a 2015 Ecoboost for her.The dealer put the Tc on the lot with a clean Carfax noting only a recent oil change.

Sponsored

OP
OP

AnimalMother7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Sounds about right. That seems to be their "go to" when things go wrong too. "We just rely on the carfax" or "Well the carfax was clean".

JB60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT
Looks like Bondo to me , had dent repaired on right side fender lip cost $1700 because it is double walled

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™ve posted this in the pastā€¦.FWIW I donā€™t trust Carfaxā€¦Back in 2014 my wifeā€™s new Scion Tc was involved in two minor accidents requiring insurance claims & body work both times. After the second accident I decided to trade it in for a 2015 Ecoboost for her.The dealer put the Tc on the lot with a clean Carfax noting only a recent oil change.
Had an existence with a damaged door.it took him 3 timed to match the paint color.the door just
. stood out as almost a different color

OP
OP

AnimalMother7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Had an existence with a damaged door.it took him 3 timed to match the paint color.the door just
I hadn't considered that possibility. Maybe they resprayed it for color match purposes? I can't even imagine how difficult it is to match that color.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What is seen in that image is a sign to kill the deal. There shouldnā€™t be multiple layers like that. It would be metal, primer, and Ruby Red is a metallic with a color matched clear. You wonā€™t see ā€˜tree ringsā€ like that from a factory applied paint job.

Also note how the depth is in that image - thatā€™s clearly either bondo or some other type of filler layered on there for who knows why.

And yes, the ā€œVINā€ reports will only have what was reported. If you smash your car or someone else smashes it and donā€™t file a police report OR do an insurance claim, the VIN reports wonā€™t know jackā€¦. Donā€™t ever just rely on those reports.

Also donā€™t let emotion get involved with a car purchase - thereā€™s plenty more out there like it - and if the price is too good to be true compared to other similar models/options, itā€™s because it is ā€¦

Sponsored

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
Walk away, not today, Disco Lay-day.
Also almost 19k for a car with 120k miles on it fuck outta here. I know used car prices are still too high but come on now. These cars must be a dime a dozen

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Well, I disagree that what you see is cause for immediate dismissal. Minor body work won't affect the car's performance. If it wasn't chipped, would you be able to tell anything happened? There's really no way to tell when any repaint occurred. For all anyone knows it could have happened 8 years ago when the dealer took delivery. They are not required to report anything like that.
I think the more important question is, what else, if anything, did the mechanic report?
It sounds like the dealer is willing to work with you on the paint and even release you if it turns into a shit show.

OP
OP

AnimalMother7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Walk away, not today, Disco Lay-day.
Also almost 19k for a car with 120k miles on it fuck outta here. I know used car prices are still too high but come on now. These cars must be a dime a dozen
Look at any of the online sites, an S550 GT convertible can't be found for under $25k, at least in that color. "Ruby Red" is tough to find versus "Race Red", search Red and you get 20 Race Red cars and 2 Ruby Red. Not saying it justifies making a bad purchase of course.

Probably a $60k car in a 2024.

Last edited:
OP
OP

AnimalMother7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Just for fun I offered a local dealer $25k OTD for a similar car a little bit ago. 2016, non 401A and 96k miles. Best they would do is $26,500 OTD. Crazy times.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Had an experience with a damaged door.it took him 3 times to match the paint color.the door just
Sponsored