Sponsored

Why no Twin Turbo v6 mustang like the F150 engine?

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
True, but most owners don't. They just deal with whatever came in the car. That's why I bought a PP1 car with 3.73 gears factory and the big brakes.
Sponsored

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
I think a TT V6 would be awesome. I'd drive that.

Ford would never do it for a Mustang because 1. They are trying to get rid of the V6. 2. It would be too close in performance to the Coyote and would make the the Ecoboost obsolete essentially.

There's no reason for Ford to do this from a marketing & product segment standpoint.
Bingo.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
I own a eco boost f150, a 5.0 f150, and a gt350. The voodoo was killer, added a whipple and long tubes and now it is intoxicating. My ecoboost pulls fine but the sound is well, nonexistent. Never can get used to it. The turbos are tiny, the engine is designed to pull stumps. I’m sure a better breathing design could be engineered with a bit more cam / turbo to haul ass but as is that engine is done at 4K. In my opinion it fits in the realm of work truck. If you could ever economically get it enough fuel to run e85 it would probably be even better. That said I enjoy my 5.0 f150 way more. There is more to life than dyno graphs. Unless it was a purpose built TT that was optimized for the mustang I would pass all day long. As far as fuel consumption goes under any type of load or at highway speed both trucks average close enough MPG it’s in the noise.

With a e85 tune the 5.0 truck feels almost as good down low as the eco. But you can actually use the whole range. The eco even when tuned still feels pretty similar. To be fair the 5.0 is newer and lighter.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
SCUTTLEBUTT: I did hear on another forum from someone who heard someone else that knows someone who dated a guys Dad who's second cousin works as an engineer for Ford. Did you get that?

The rumor is.... Mustang will be getting a full ALUMINUM body very soon. 2020 S550 would be great, but probably not until the S650. Also, the V8 may go away, and become only a specialty order. The main Mustang performance engine will be the 3.5L. Here's the final kicker. It will have an optional rear biased All-Wheel-Drive system like Audi with full torque vectoring for stability. Such a system will be independently available on all models, including the high end track Performance Packs like PP2. Being the V6 engine is short enough, I guess it allows for making just enough room for a front diff.

Such an AWD system will also be available for the new 4-door Mustang performance family sedan/coupe. For sale in Europe it will be the affordable competition to the Audi A6, A7, BMW 5-7-series, and Mercedes.

Right now though, I'm not so sure there is enough sales to really warrant it. F-150's easily sell 6-10 times the number of Mustangs. Unless the global sales really takes off, it may never happen. I personally would have loved a V6. If they did offer it, I think the V8 would only then sell to guys who want to boost for drag racing, and that's about it.

Last edited:

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Kinda ironic Ford dropped what seemed to be the most reliable motor. In two years on this forum I don’t recall reading or seeing any post on a failed V6.

Sponsored

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I think a TT V6 would be awesome. I'd drive that.

Ford would never do it for a Mustang because 1. They are trying to get rid of the V6. 2. It would be too close in performance to the Coyote and would make the the Ecoboost obsolete essentially.

There's no reason for Ford to do this from a marketing & product segment standpoint.
The trend toward smaller, more efficient engines won't stop. The purpose of getting rid of the na V6 was to replace it with the Ecoboost as the base engine. Where a turbo V6 or I6 makes sense is for eventually replacing the V8. They could transition it as follows:

Base - Ecoboost I4
Mid - Coyote V8
Top - Turbo 6 (50-100 hp more than the V8 in stock form)

Ford could make the top suspension and interior upgrades only available on the turbo 6, similar to how they limited options on the Cyclone for 2015. It could be marketed as the more raw muscle car version. After a few years the V8 would go away.

Another idea for the transition period would be to offer a "Mustang classic" for a few years after the V8 is dropped from the regular Mustang. It would be on the same platform but have a more retro look to the body and be limited to base creature comfort options and mid tier performance options. Younger guys would be asking why the hell anyone would want that thing. :)

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
With everyone understanding where a lot of this is headed, I would love to look back one day at my 2018 stick shift GT, and be happy I own somewhat of a collectors item.

dausmus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost PP
Inline V6 twin turbo......Supraaaaa Mustang ...... I dig it

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I take it Maserati didn’t import the 2.5L biturbo with Weber carb to the USA then. Did you get any Busso engined Alfa Romeo’s? Or are you simply ignorant?

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
I take it Maserati didn’t import the 2.5L biturbo with Weber carb to the USA then. Did you get any Busso engined Alfa Romeo’s? Or are you simply ignorant?
I worked with a guy who had a biturbo 15-20 years ago, i dont know if it was carbed or FI, it might have been a '86 or '87. I didn't see it very often, it usually didn't run, but when it did it would run pretty even with my '86 944 (which was stock and my DD back then). For comparison, Porsche imported about 11,000 944s in '86. Biturbos were very uncommon back then and had a reputation for being "short lived." They were probably a major part of the reason that you couldn't sell an Italian car here during the 90s and 00s.

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The biturbo was probably available in the states, but Maserati was and still is a very niche exotic car. I see far more Porches in the same price bracket on the road. The brand as a whole only recently jumped into the 10k sales bracket per year.

Alfa is in the same boat. They had a good run from the 60s to the mid 90s, but peaked at 8k vehicles stateside in 1986. To put that figure in perspective, the 86 mustang sold 224,000 units across all configurations.

Bottom line is that awareness of, let alone extensive knowledge of Alfas and Maseratis is limited in the US. I personally only knew the Maserati name from the Joe Walsh song, and didn't even see one on the road until around 2014ish. Alfa I only know from Top Gear (Clarkson or bust). We only recently got the brand back after the almost 20 year long hiatus.

There are plenty of US only cars that we could get condescending about. Instead of attacking someone for not knowing about a thing, why not educate? For example, did you know Maserati made a 6-valve engine?
Ap
I worked with a guy who had a biturbo 15-20 years ago, i dont know if it was carbed or FI, it might have been a '86 or '87. I didn't see it very often, it usually didn't run, but when it did it would run pretty even with my '86 944 (which was stock and my DD back then). For comparison, Porsche imported about 11,000 944s in '86. Biturbos were very uncommon back then and had a reputation for being "short lived." They were probably a major part of the reason that you couldn't sell an Italian car here during the 90s and 00s.
if it was unreliable it was most likely FI. If memory serves the US cars were all FI. In Europe they switched over in 88/89 to FI. The ones on Weber’s always sounded better as they were usually running rich until the boost built, by which time they went lean. Getting the mixture right was a nightmare. The early fi cars would tend to simply fail to run at random. Mechanicaly they were sound. The turbos had a lifespan of 80k miles or so. Rust was no worse than a German car of the same period. By the time they got to the 222E, racing and Karif they are very fast cars. My later Ghibli Cup was devastatingly fast for the time, although my 87 biturbo sounded better.

Like any engine configuration, some V6’s can sound boring, or nowadays they tend to have fake pops and bangs. The best ones however sound amazing.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Ap

if it was unreliable it was most likely FI. If memory serves the US cars were all FI. In Europe they switched over in 88/89 to FI. The ones on Weber’s always sounded better as they were usually running rich until the boost built, by which time they went lean. Getting the mixture right was a nightmare. The early fi cars would tend to simply fail to run at random. Mechanicaly they were sound. The turbos had a lifespan of 80k miles or so. Rust was no worse than a German car of the same period. By the time they got to the 222E, racing and Karif they are very fast cars. My later Ghibli Cup was devastatingly fast for the time, although my 87 biturbo sounded better.

Like any engine configuration, some V6’s can sound boring, or nowadays they tend to have fake pops and bangs. The best ones however sound amazing.
I have no idea how those cars were with rust, I haven't seen one since then. German cars from the mid 80s, OTOH, seem to do pretty well. I still have that 944 and it still doesn't have a speck of rust anywhere. It hasn't seen the inside of a garage in the 20 years I've owned it and they go pretty heavy on the road salt around here. IIRC, it was the first car to have a fully galvanized body.
I can't say that the sound of the Biturbo stood out as anything special. I'm sure it sounded better than my ecoboost, but then, what doesn't? As far as 4 bangers go, I wish my Mustang sounded more like my Porsche, but when it comes to 6 cylinders, I'll take a Porsche flat 6 over any v6.

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I have no idea how those cars were with rust, I haven't seen one since then. German cars from the mid 80s, OTOH, seem to do pretty well. I still have that 944 and it still doesn't have a speck of rust anywhere. It hasn't seen the inside of a garage in the 20 years I've owned it and they go pretty heavy on the road salt around here. IIRC, it was the first car to have a fully galvanized body.
I can't say that the sound of the Biturbo stood out as anything special. I'm sure it sounded better than my ecoboost, but then, what doesn't? As far as 4 bangers go, I wish my Mustang sounded more like my Porsche, but when it comes to 6 cylinders, I'll take a Porsche flat 6 over any v6.
In my book, a Porsche flat 6 is one of the best sounding engines ever... especially just sitting there idling or pulling away from a light with a bit of a load. Extraordinary mechanical goodness. The 944's were good sounding 4-cylinders for sure, and give me hope for my EBPP...

Back to the V6 question, something like a narrow-angle or VR-type engine would be interesting, but I don't see either of those happening any time soon.
Sponsored