Sponsored

Why no Twin Turbo v6 mustang like the F150 engine?

hcappie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I for one am a V8 guy. Wouldn’t have a Mustang any other way. I don’t mind multiple engine offerings though. Consider this: base Mustang Ecoboost 2.3. Intermediate (to include the GT & Shelbys) V8. Ultra premium Corvette/Nissan GTR fighter, twin turbo V6 Mustang with Ford GT levels of power & performance. Let’s not forget that from a performance standpoint, the Buick GNX and 89 Trans Am had turbo sixes much faster than the V8s.

On a sidenote, with the demise of the Focus RS (and all Ford cars), why not transplant some of the RS goodies over to the Ecoboost Mustang??
Sponsored

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
Dropped the ball not bringing the Barra engine...

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
All I'll say is this:

People would like the V6 more if they drove it with 3.73s. Ford put 3.15s on it and neutered it. Hard to have a fighting chance when your shoelaces are tied, so to speak.

A TTV6 would be a tuning monster. Stock is irrelevant, because we know it would still be fast. Like Coyote fast. But the TTV6 in the after market. A Stage 1 tune on 93 would probably boost you to the moon.
You know what the TTV6 couldn't do and the Coyote V8 can do? Make good power on regular gas. Believe it or not that's a selling point for some.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Good luck with that. Before placing the order for my GT, I called my SA at my BMW dealer from whom I've bought my last two cars (both BMWs). He couldn't find one for me to sit in, let alone test drive, between September and November. Might happen once a few more get onshore, but certainly not at the moment.
Yeah, I haven't been able to sit in an M2 either. But after driving an M4 I knew I didn't want a car with that engine sound. If the Mustang no longer has a V8 available and I absolutely have to buy a newer car I would consider a BMW though. Their manual transmissions are terrific and I like the size better than a Mustang. Especially the M2 is a nice size IMO.

Like I said - I briefly thought about it and then I remembered what the BMWs sound like. No need for another test drive as long as they are using I6 engines.

Cavpilot2k

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW 135i (modded)
Yeah, I haven't been able to sit in an M2 either. But after driving an M4 I knew I didn't want a car with that engine sound. If the Mustang no longer has a V8 available and I absolutely have to buy a newer car I would consider a BMW though. Their manual transmissions are terrific and I like the size better than a Mustang. Especially the M2 is a nice size IMO.

Like I said - I briefly thought about it and then I remembered what the BMWs sound like. No need for another test drive as long as they are using I6 engines.
Depends on the engine. The N55 and B58 sound fine. Actually the N55 sounds great with a decent exhaust setup.
It's the S55 that sounds like crap, because it maintains two separate exhaust paths all the way to the end, in effect giving it the sound of two 3-cylinder engines competing. But that can be fixed by aftermarket exhaust that uses a single or crossover midpipe. NOw granted, you shouldn't HAVE to buy an aftermarket exhaust for a $60k+ car, but it is what it is.

Of course none of them sound as good as the Coyote V8, but they do deliver power a little better if you like torque.

The M2 Competition and M3/M4 use the S55.
The original M2 has the N55, and most of the other similar models in the segment (M240, M340, M440) use the B58.

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Their manual transmissions are terrific and I like the size better than a Mustang. Especially the M2 is a nice size IMO.
Very true. The M2C is exactly the same size inside / outside as my M235. My first thought on getting into a GT was "Damn, this thing is big!". My wife saw that as a selling point. The M4 is just too big.

The original M2 has the N55, and most of the other similar models in the segment (M240, M340, M440) use the B58.
I've had both an N54 in my E92 and an N55 in my F22. Very nice engines, and I especially liked driving the N54.

Cavpilot2k

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW 135i (modded)
Very true. The M2C is exactly the same size inside / outside as my M235. My first thought on getting into a GT was "Damn, this thing is big!". My wife saw that as a selling point. The M4 is just too big.

I've had both an N54 in my E92 and an N55 in my F22. Very nice engines, and I especially liked driving the N54.
Yeah, I did an autocross in an M4 and I thought it felt huge, but it is similar in dimensions to a mustang I think.
The M2 and the 2 series are perfect size. Then again, I've been daily driving an N55 135i for almost 7 years, so your perspective on what is or is not a big car definitely gets skewed when you get used to small and nimble.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I would disagree and say there are some V6’s that sound ridiculously good. The EB lineup isn’t one of them IMO, but they aren’t terrible by any means. The Nisan VQ engines, Ford 3.7, Hyundai 3.8 (Genesis), newer GM V6’s, etc. The old wheezy vacuum cleaner 6’s are largely a thing of the past.
+1. I've driven so many rental cars with dog 4 cylinder engines. No way I could bear having an I4 in a Mustang. :)

ShelbyGT350

Shelby GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 351C Shaker
Stick around long enough and you’ll likely see one in showrooms.

For now, there’s nowhere to slot such an engine in the current lineup.

2.3L Turbocharged 320hp
5.0L N/A 460hp
5.2L N/A 526hp
5.2L Supercharged 720hp
Sure there is - 3.0L Twin Turbo V6 400HP - From the Licoln Aviator and new Ford Explorer

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Yep, the F-150 Ecoboost is 450HP, 510 ft/lb.
That is the raptor only version, the standard 3.5 EB is 375 hp/450 tq. for the second generation, the first gen was 365/420.

Regardless, ford will not put a 3.5 EB in a mustang, the V8 is a halo engine for the mustang and a V6 that makes the same or better tq would cannibalize the V8 sales. If you want the 3.5 TT V6 then buy an ecoboost mustang and do an engine swap.

The first gen 3.5 EB's maxed out around 600 crank hp, the direct injection pump was the limitation, whereas you can put TT's on a coyote and make 1000 hp to the wheels.

Sponsored

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
That is the raptor only version, the standard 3.5 EB is 375 hp/450 tq. for the second generation, the first gen was 365/420.

Regardless, ford will not put a 3.5 EB in a mustang, the V8 is a halo engine for the mustang and a V6 that makes the same or better tq would cannibalize the V8 sales. If you want the 3.5 TT V6 then buy an ecoboost mustang and do an engine swap.

The first gen 3.5 EB's maxed out around 600 crank hp, the direct injection pump was the limitation, whereas you can put TT's on a coyote and make 1000 hp to the wheels.
You must have not been at the dealer reveal recently... Don't hold out on thinking they wont put in a twin turbo v6 in a mustang

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I didn't say they won't put a TT V6 in a mustang, they won't use the truck version of the 3.5 ecoboost. It's tq output is higher than what the current V8 has and may hurt sales of the V8. I have no doubt we will eventually see a TT 6 Cylinder in a mustang, probably the 3.0 TT out of the MKZ and continental which at the top rating is 400/400

Kirgiz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrzej
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I didn't say they won't put a TT V6 in a mustang, they won't use the truck version of the 3.5 ecoboost. It's tq output is higher than what the current V8 has and may hurt sales of the V8. I have no doubt we will eventually see a TT 6 Cylinder in a mustang, probably the 3.0 TT out of the MKZ and continental which at the top rating is 400/400
Torque means nothing. You can change it by different gearing.

Kirgiz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrzej
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I wound't say it means nothing...
In the same engine you can have huge torque but low rpms or low torque but spin engine fast.
In this sense it means nothing when comparing engines.
Sponsored