Sponsored

Why is the ride choppy?

Boggus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP
2016 PP GT. Driving on the freeway, beltway or some other way - car is bouncy, choppy, etc. Is there a fix, what's the cause, etc?
Sponsored

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, '21 330i (Wifemobile)
what's the cause?
Stock suspension would be my guess. I've done no other suspension work to my car besides lowering springs and it grabs the freeway MUCH better than before. Just changing the springs eliminates a LOT of pitch and roll in the body.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
Steeda differential bushings and the CB005 helped to get rid of the bobble-head feeling my base car had on freeways. I've read shocks really help too so I'm looking forward to my Konis for an even better ride.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
One of my mods to do also...I think they are called "warrior" shocks for rear

Sponsored

fstang24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
2016 PP GT. Driving on the freeway, beltway or some other way - car is bouncy, choppy, etc. Is there a fix, what's the cause, etc?
I see you from the Houston area, I am in spring, I have notice the same thing your experience, I was on the beltway the other day and noticed as well how the rear end is so bouncy on the highway, a little annoying.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I get it on pne particular road so to me it's not the car per se it's certain road conditions the car doesn't like. Steeda DiffBushings/IRS Support, and Braces helped alot but on that one road I still get a reduced but still there annoying bounciness from the rear.

GreenGuardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I used to have the same issues all the time driving down 290, beltway, 59, 45........anywhere! I had the BMR SP080's installed, installed the BMR differential bushings myself along with the Steeda subframe braces and alignment kit, still waiting on my BMR front subframe brace to come in the mail. All of these changes have made such a huge improvement over stock.

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
When you went to the dealer.. are you sure you didnt accidentally buy a mustang vs a Fusion? ;)

Zerobar78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT, PP
The car is underdamped from the factory, some decent shocks should help with the "PP Bounce" as they call it. Other suggestions as mentioned should help as well.

Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
also check your tire pressure. I felt it was choppy after i bought it. I checked the tire pressure and it was 40 psi, suppose to be 32. I still want to get upgraded shocks/springs though.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
To be honest, it's the entire system working together that creates this feel that most mention. The Bounce, The Chop, The Dart, etc.

One of the very first parts I suggest to people, simply because it works SO well, and THEN some...is the CB005 Cradle Bushing Lockout Kit.

This kit will remove most of the deflection in the cradle, and remove a substantial amount of the oscillation that is introduced into the suspension and knuckles due to the cradle flopping around when driving down the road.

Stiffer linear springs and good dampers help tremendously too!

Good luck!

Brewddha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium w/PP
Know just what you mean. I did the BMR CB005 cradle lockout kit first, and that helped some but in my experience it was still very much there. Just did the Steeda diff bushing inserts, hoping that would help provide more stability, and I have to say it made a much bigger difference than I expected. Definitely a combination of products that are well worth the money.

Having spent some time under the car with the subframe, I'd say you probably need both types of upgrades to really take the slop out, but the difference in how it behaves over poor highway now is night and day with them both. Credit to Kelly from BMR for the recommendation of the combo in another thread, even if the original recommendation was for axle hop. I was hoping that also translated to less flex overall for more rear suspension stability, better handling, and less bobblehead behavior on the highway, and it has.

I'm sure shocks help also, but that always sounded like probably a bandaid. It feels like the stock shocks had a lot of bonus oscillation to deal with while the soft rubber bushings allowed subframe wallowing, and after removing that I think the dampers can work more effectively. Better shocks probably clamp down faster on those extra oscillations, but the imprecise behavior of the suspension is still there - the extra motions are blunted, but the problem is still that the subframe can move quite a bit. Fix that and you get more confident handling without shocks, and I'm sure once you add shocks the results will be better still as the suspension's foundation is more stable. If that makes sense...

Looking forward now to some more bushing upgrades, the car seems to be responding well to reducing deflection. Then I'll add shocks once I'm done removing the slop.
Sponsored