Sponsored

Why is oil level such a PITA to determine?

glene

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang gt
after draining for 10 min, I put in a new dry filter, put in 10 quarts exactly, after running for a minute or two, then checking after 10 minutes, it was at the top hole full Mark.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
after draining for 10 min, I put in a new dry filter, put in 10 quarts exactly, after running for a minute or two, then checking after 10 minutes, it was at the top hole full Mark.
And when the engine cools, what does it read on the dipstick?

Yes, it's a loaded question

glene

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang gt
same….. turning the engine onto check for leaks a minute or two doesn’t really warm up the car. Checking a week later on a cold engine, It’s still at the top mark. I was always taught to check cold, manual says that too.
IMG_0344.jpeg

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid

Yorkshire_OH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Just had my oil change done Friday at my local Ford dealer, checked it the next morning and the oil level was slightly below the second hole on both sides of the dip stick.
Ford are notorious for making a mess of changing the oil. I let Ford do mine once, and the next day when I checked (it was dark and raining so I assumed they did it right especially after discussing this with them when i dropped the car off) it was below the minimum line. No leaks, fresh oil in there just not enough. I believe it's the change in 2018 to the larger sump capacity compared to the 2015-2017 version.

Sponsored

lunatect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Ford are notorious for making a mess of changing the oil. I let Ford do mine once, and the next day when I checked (it was dark and raining so I assumed they did it right especially after discussing this with them when i dropped the car off) it was below the minimum line. No leaks, fresh oil in there just not enough. I believe it's the change in 2018 to the larger sump capacity compared to the 2015-2017 version.
I wonder if the tech used the GT specs for oil capacity?

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Have to admit I have not heard of this. What is the capacity from 2018 onward? My 2017 engine takes 10 quarts.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Guess I was mistaken. I heard they changed at 2018 to 10. Nothing to see here. Move along people lol
I think the capacity changed (on the GT’s, I know we are in the 350 forum) with the change to the composite sump on the 2018 facelift ?

WD :like:

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
For the sake of consistency, I check mine cold and in the same spot every time (my garage).
Good tip. I suggest checking it regularly. I’ve owned my 16 GT350 since brand new. I’ve logged oil consumption over the past 8 years thru 32,000 miles. My so called gen 1 engine started from brand new using about 1 qt of oil (always Motorcraft) every 1,200 miles. This is about average or slightly better than average for this engine. I’ve read accounts of the voodoo gulping 1 qt. every 500 miles. After the valves seated and over time my engine is consuming considerably less oil. Right now I’d say it’s about 1 qt. per 2,500 miles. My practice is to check the oil level cold in my garage just about every other day or once a week before using the car. Btw I check it multiple times on both sides of the dipstick until I’m certain of the reading (if between the dots don’t add or overfill to avoid valve slap).

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Good tip. I suggest checking it regularly. I’ve owned my 16 GT350 since brand new. I’ve logged oil consumption over the past 8 years thru 32,000 miles. My so called gen 1 engine started from brand new using about 1 qt of oil (always Motorcraft) every 1,200 miles. This is about average or slightly better than average for this engine. I’ve read accounts of the voodoo gulping 1 qt. every 500 miles. After the valves seated and over time my engine is consuming considerably less oil. Right now I’d say it’s about 1 qt. per 2,500 miles. My practice is to check the oil level cold in my garage just about every other day or once a week before using the car. Btw I check it multiple times on both sides of the dipstick until I’m certain of the reading (if between the dots don’t add or overfill to avoid valve slap).
Your experience with your 2016 is very similar to mine. I have 31,000 miles with about 4,000 on track. Oil consumption has been around 1 quart every 1,200 to 1,500 miles, and, like yours, it's improving slowly and steadily. It'll probably be much less when the engine is fully broken in.

I check the oil in the morning (warm engine) at the race track before the first session, and if there's oil in the bottom hole, I go driving. If no oil in the bottom hole, I add half a quart and go driving. Same routine in the garage at home, regardless of hot or cold. Only adding half a quart carries no risk of over-filling, so a precision measurement is unnecessary. If it's low enough to matter, or just getting close, add a half-quart. Job done.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The bottom hole is more than a quart down on my car. If it’s at the bottom hole, you’re beyond safe by adding a full quart. Even then, the danger of “over filling” doesn’t happen until the crank is splashing in the oil, and you’re a long way from that.
Sponsored