Sponsored

Why does my GT350 feel/sound as if the front Mag shocks are blown out? Anyone else?

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
just turned 1200 miles on the car and there is a bad clunk/thud sound when i get on bad roads around here, it sounds and feels horrible. no signs of the shocks leaking or anything broken to the naked eye. I noticed this noise after a few days of owning the car. the only mod i did was the Steeda 2 point K member brace underneath. the sound and feeling just feels as if the front end is weak or something broken. I have owned enough performance cars to know something is not right here.

this really pisses me off because my 2015 GT PP was taken apart over 18 times in 3 years and 26k miles of the harshest roads trying various suspension bits and it never once exhibited this noise.

it sounds like a weird thud, hard to explain but it reminds me of a car with blown out struts when they bottom out internally. I am not driving on roads that harsh anymore as i don't use the car daily for work.

local dealer said its normal but i am not accepting this as normal. Can this noise be from the lower profile Pilot Super Sport tires? New type of front suspension bushing or bearing or sway bar endlink failure?

Any comments or input from other Gt350 owners is welcome.
Sponsored

Nicky Pass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
My 2017 Acura RDX had a shock absorber go bad at 4,000 miles. A bad clunk going over bigger bumps! I guess it's possible....

OP
OP

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
from the engineering dvd the front strut piston looks like its 1 inch thick, super heavy duty. i did have Mag shocks fail twice on my Caddy CTSV because i lowered those cars but this car is bone stock and many years later of newer technology and manufacturing.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I read a few instances of front control arm bushings failing. Might want to take a look there - ask the dealer.

Sponsored

Deca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Same here - also comes with a high pitched sound, thought because of BS roads here. I'm from Europe and never experienced these 3rd world roads as in/around NYC.

Non-Rs dont come with spacers, right?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Non Rs have them in the front only. Rs have them in both the front and rear,

OP
OP

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
Il. Ck those further tomorrow for those spacers and the end links and any other visuals. What pisses me off is the Shelby is so. Beefed up compared to the normal GT that this should not even happen regardless, doesn't do this on the standard s550 versions. Wish there was a fix from Ford or an answer as to why.

OP
OP

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
Same here - also comes with a high pitched sound, thought because of BS roads here. I'm from Europe and never experienced these 3rd world roads as in/around NYC.

Living in southern NY is disgusting and if you enjoy cars it's the wrong place to live. We are in the process of moving from the area by fall. PM me if your close enough we should meet up to compare this issue.

Sponsored

Madigon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, although I think you should consider it bad luck more than systemic build quality.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Really, 3rd world not in Europe? So you never got off the autobahn and drove around tge cobblestones and bumpy roads all over Europe? You never went to eastern europe where some roads turn to dirt.

NY has a bad winter and that means bad roads bit they are not 3rd world.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

Deca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Really, 3rd world not in Europe? So you never got off the autobahn and drove around tge cobblestones and bumpy roads all over Europe? You never went to eastern europe where some roads turn to dirt.

NY has a bad winter and that means bad roads bit they are not 3rd world.

Sure do - but you know what to expect. Here they simply leave potholes as is or put a steel plate on top of it..looks like roads and trains/subways were build in the 60s and never got a serious overhaul- but thats a different discussion.

More interestingly Lemers - have you been able to test de speedometer on the Autobahn?

I'll send you a pm mustangcollector

Last edited: