Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Traded mine in on a Porsche Turbo S.

Nothing was wrong with it. Absolutely nothing.

Where the GT350 comes alive is the track, and I don’t track my cars. On the street, besides being the best looking mustang ever, it’s just a quick mustang that can be beaten by many other cars. Including a base GT with the the 10 speed auto. That kinda did it for me.

The Porsche Turbo S is a high ten second car stock. Mid ten’s with just a tune and exhaust. At a stop light, I fear no car, including the new ZR1 and Demon. Granted, this level of performance is expensive, but I know of a few who own two GT350’s who could have bought this Porsche for the same money.

I’m not bashing the GT350, it’s just too specialized a weapon for what I want.
So owning two GT350's is like having a parts bin to steal from for the other one when it breaks.
Sponsored

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
My Raptor=great quality as well as both of the '13 Boss 302's I had (other than the MT82 and the stick axle design) I thought the GT350 would be of the level of the past cars, I was wrong.
I would partially agree with this, simply because things like sagging bumper/ panel alignment were not on the radar at all during my boss ownership..and some of the issues are dissapointing. I can’t recall any discussion on any forum about some of the things we see here. That said, I think the interior of 350 is an order of magnitude better than the boss, which was for all intents as stripped as it could get and that was the intent. In fairness to those at flat rock, the s197 cars were more or less the same and didn’t have the complexity of GT350. Not an excuse, but unique front panels (like raptor) are new for this car and assembly plant. My dealer’s 16 had awful hood and fender alignment, my 17 is 10x better, and the 18 was almost perfect. I do think there is something to be said for improvement as time goes on. My expectation level on 2019 would be much higher than an early 2016 model. The 350/R was THE car in 2016/17 and they couldn’t build them fast enough..perhaps there was an element of “get these shipped we can fix issues later”

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Up Front. I am a Ford guy through and through. Not that I dont like other cars, just dont buy them. My daughter has a BMW and I went with her for the ride and drive. The cars were nice but the performance was sub par in comparison to my 350. Im sure I was not comparing apples to apples but, It was such an under performer, I forgot to look at the interior. The second thing I noticed was the atmosphere. A little nose high for me. My 16 didn't have any rattles. The fitment was OK, certainly could have been better. Muscle car owners are used to compromise in some of these things. Yes, I would not consider the 350 a muscle car but, the majority of buyers are still muscle car guys. Those of you coming from European brands are used to a different type of car, I get that. Would I consider bimmer for a daily, yes, I would. As fast as they can be, would not consider one for my toy

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I think about selling my R from time and again... then I have a track therapy session at VIR and those thoughts disappear. Luckily, my track therapy sessions are on a regular schedule.

(I do wish it had another 100 hp for the long straights when I'm playing around with 600-700 hp sports cars).
I’m glad I don’t have it. Makes me feel even better when I catch them in the corners and they know I am 100+ hp down on them but still setting faster lap times in my R. More importantly, I’m literally the fastest or top 2-3 car out there in every single general open track day with 65 cars. It’s hard to pass a great driver in a gt3 or z06, but honestly that’s about it — the Supercar drivers are all the slowest less advanced drivers. It’s gotten to the point where I really don’t do events unless they are open passing anymore as general events with pass on the straight only is just me tailgating the guy in front until the straight again.

I started tracking 2 years ago in my 17 year old Ferrari 360 and tuned 996tt, but the GT350 is a track monster and seriously well balanced overall car that is better in every way. I can see the frustration on the street with lack of low end torque, but the sound, balance, incredible brakes, and affordability (parts (ie no $20k cc brake jobs) and labor) make it an extremely desirable package. With an extended 8 year warranty for $3k = no worries of something blowing up on track, it’s an ultimate bargain. I’ve tracked my 360 precisely zero times since delivery of my R last November.

rj45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic Metallic
I think the GT350's overall quality, fit and finish is pretty decent, though there's certainly some room for improvement. My car's magnetic metallic, so panel gap irregularities, which are there if you look for them, aren't very noticeable. However, certain quality issues have bothered me, such as the gloss black trim panel between the rear taillights. It makes cheap sounding creaks/noises if you use it to open or close the trunk, and its finish mars easily. Speaking of the trunk, there's no pull down handle, which is an annoying omission. There are also a few fairly common features that are missing, such as auto side mirror dip when reversing, hood struts and an auto locking glovebox. Inside, I find the interior's materials acceptable, nothing in there is seriously lacking.

In terms of driving experience, the lack of low end torque takes some getting used to, but it's only subpar when compared to cars that are torque monsters. The mid range and high end power (and sound) make up for it. The FPC engine does have more NVH than mainstream engines, but it's not a dealbreaker, even for daily use. The ride is a bit firm for a daily driver, and there is tramlining on rutted roads, but chassis response and grip is impressive. Lastly, the chassis structure feels very tight/solid and interior rattles are few, giving the car a feeling of quality.

Over a year and nearly 10K miles later, I'm still happy with the car and plan on keeping it a while.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
I’m glad I don’t have it. Makes me feel even better when I catch them in the corners and they know I am 100+ hp down on them but still setting faster lap times in my R. More importantly, I’m literally the fastest or top 2-3 car out there in every single general open track day with 65 cars. It’s hard to pass a great driver in a gt3 or z06, but honestly that’s about it — the Supercar drivers are all the slowest less advanced drivers. It’s gotten to the point where I really don’t do events unless they are open passing anymore as general events with pass on the straight only is just me tailgating the guy in front until the straight again.

I started tracking 2 years ago in my 17 year old Ferrari 360 and tuned 996tt, but the GT350 is a track monster and seriously well balanced overall car that is better in every way. I can see the frustration on the street with lack of low end torque, but the sound, balance, incredible brakes, and affordability (parts (ie no $20k cc brake jobs) and labor) make it an extremely desirable package. With an extended 8 year warranty for $3k = no worries of something blowing up on track, it’s an ultimate bargain. I’ve tracked my 360 precisely zero times since delivery of my R last November.
I run in the advanced group and I agree...very rewarding when you are passing Corvettes (C5,C6,C7 Z06s), Vipers, Porsches, etc. with less hp and more weight.

The only time I get passed is when a good driver has a more capable car. VIR is a fast track...so not having the 100-200 hp in the front/back straights, uphill esses, and snake...is hard to overcome.

Many of the groups I run with allow passing anywhere with a point by OR super advanced is anywhere on track (with/without) point by. It's such a blast...waiting for my next event is getting progressively harder.

Reactions: TDC

IMDNS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Bought mine for a wrong reason.
I have another car for weekend and track only. I bought my GT350 to be a daily and occasionally track car.
It turned out to be a brilliant car for open road and track, ONLY....
Daily the GT350 in traffic is painful:
- No torque under 3500 rpm, no space to rev it neither
- I have lots of time to look at the crappy interior
So the GT350 became a weekend only car. When i realize I don't have time to drive two weekend toys, the GT350's out.

Stepped down tor a BMW 440i Cab. Not a better car but a better daily.

Should I have time to drive it, I'd keep the GT350. Very different and unique experience comparing to European cars. I start to miss it as I'm typing....

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Traded mine in on a Porsche Turbo S.

Nothing was wrong with it. Absolutely nothing.

Where the GT350 comes alive is the track, and I don’t track my cars. On the street, besides being the best looking mustang ever, it’s just a quick mustang that can be beaten by many other cars. Including a base GT with the the 10 speed auto. That kinda did it for me.

The Porsche Turbo S is a high ten second car stock. Mid ten’s with just a tune and exhaust. At a stop light, I fear no car, including the new ZR1 and Demon. Granted, this level of performance is expensive, but I know of a few who own two GT350’s who could have bought this Porsche for the same money.

Hmmmmm . That’s my plan when I give up drag racing . I have four mustangs now , two of them 15’s making north of 1000 rwhp for the drag strip, an 18 which was to be another summer daily driver to cut down the miles of my S4(5 year old and and still best interior of all my cars and best daily ) needed for winter and my GT 350 which was to be the weekend /nice weather strip car . 18 now has a whipple and will be an a “ occasional” 9 sec strip car . GT 350 also now has a whippe as she was feeling left out with all the other cars making power . Lol

I plan to down size in a year or two to one car when I turn the big “five oh “ and will likely drag race only occasionally.
I was considering the GT 500 which will hopefully be a few years old and have no ADM . I am starting to really think 911 turbo as I could get rid of the Audi(to get through winter) as well then and still have a 10 second capable car for the occasional strip car . If I can get decent money for all five I may not have to come up with that much for the Porsche and save a ton on insurance as well

No power below 3500. And where I lived means never enjoying the car. Didn't have time to track it. Did the track attack and no doubt its a great track car. Just not for the street. Great handling and awesome looks. Exhaust best ever. Hoping the GT500 makes up for the weak bottom end.[/QUOTE
The whipple fixed that for me. I am sure it made it less capable a handler but honestly I don’t notice since I am really into the straight line kind of “track “.
I don’t think it changes the character of the car - simply now has the missing low end torque and mid and top end is now on steroids

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Bought mine for a wrong reason.
I have another car for weekend and track only. I bought my GT350 to be a daily and occasionally track car.
It turned out to be a brilliant car for open road and track, ONLY....
Daily the GT350 in traffic is painful:
- No torque under 3500 rpm, no space to rev it neither
- I have lots of time to look at the crappy interior
So the GT350 became a weekend only car. When i realize I don't have time to drive two weekend toys, the GT350's out.

Stepped down tor a BMW 440i Cab. Not a better car but a better daily.

Should I have time to drive it, I'd keep the GT350. Very different and unique experience comparing to European cars. I start to miss it as I'm typing....
The Bimmer has more torque?

Sponsored

Digitalwiz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Stage 2 / 2012 Audi R8
[QUOTE="Around these parts, we call Porsches "me too" cars... As in, Hey, I have a Porsche! The response to that more than not is, "Me Too"!! :)[/QUOTE]

I sold my 911 for an R8. Not alot of Me Too going on anymore.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Not being a troll; serious question.

I understand that some GT350 owners bought when they just came out, and even paid the mark-ups, and eventually sold or traded for another vehicle.

In my city there were a few that I would see often, letting everyone hear how good the exhaust sounds. All of them ended up on the used lot of a local dealer. I even saw one at a Toyota dealership.

Even a few local clubs had some GT350R owners that paid the full mark-up. They got rid of them as well.

I have a 2017 GT350 with the convenience package in Grabber Blue, and I have thoughts about letting it go as well. Everytime I drive the car it is an exciting experience, but its just feels like its missing something. It gets the adrenaline going, but its not enjoyable. I plan to do a few track days with the car, which is what I planned from the beginning, but I have to keep reminding myself why I bought the car instead of the car convincing me it was worth the $60,000 it cost.

I just dont want to get in my feelings, and sell/trade the car and regret it later, because I wasnt using the car right.

So my question to yall that bought a 350 and parted ways with it... Why did you sell it?
So every time that you drive your GT350 it is an exciting experience and it gets your adrenaline going but the driving experience is not enjoyable? Based on those words I am having a difficult time understanding your mindset.

As well it sounds as though you bought this car in order to track it but never have and then you have to remind yourself why you bought the car?

From the outside looking in it looks like this car intimidates you to a certain degree especially when it comes to tracking a $60,000 car therefore you have not taken the leap to take your car to the track which would certainly give you a totally different respect and appreciation for your outstanding car.

Either you have to come terms with respect to tracking your car and enjoying the experience or I would move on to another vehicle that you are more comfortable with.

I found it interesting reading many of the comparisons posted whereby the GT350/R is compared to VW's, Porsches and others when in fact the only other Pony Cars out there in addition to the GT350/R are the Camaro and Challenger and would suggest that if we want to stay on a level playing field we compare all three high performance Pony Car models with each other and not vehicles coming from totally different categories.

As far as a 2012/2013 Boss 302 being superior with respect to exterior/interior fit, finish and overall handling, braking and steering compared to a GT350/R that is a hard one for me to comprehend.

I certainly still love my Boss 302 just as much as my GT350/R's but they are totally different animals with the GT350/R taking the Mustang to another level compared to the 2012/2013 Boss 302 cars especially from an overall performance standpoint.

:sunglasses:

Last edited:

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I think the beauty of the GT350 is that it begs for comparisons to cars that Mustangs past had no right to be compared against at all. I love that half the buyers seem to be people who came from Porsches, BMWs, etc. Says a lot about the balance Ford got right - still appeals to a lot of Mustang die-hards (but not all, mostly because of the powerband shape), and appeals to everyone who loves to drive a balanced and engaging car.

As for the on-street performance, my old 135i with some mods made 375 WHP peak, and 400+ lb-ft below 2500 RPM. Coupled with its small footprint and outstanding visibility, I could comfortably drive that point-to-point over most country roads faster than I could cover the same ground in the GT350. Lower capability, but more accessible in street driving. That's not a complaint, it's just an observation and I think it's why some people just prefer torquey, point-and-squirt turbo cars on the street.

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
I'm in the opposite camp compared to most posting here.

I own a 911 Carrera S and my GT350. Of the two, the Porsche is the one I keep thinking of selling.

I simply love my GT350. The interior is spartan, but so are race cars. The fit and finish of my car is more than acceptable for me and I come from cars like Porsche, Audi, Merc AMG, BMW M, and various Japanese makes. When I bought my car, I was actually impressed with how good the paint job was. It has the rear bumper panel gap and drinks some oil (not excessive), but other than that, it's near perfect.

Maybe I'm lucky. If so, even more reason to not sell my GT350! :like:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
My post in regard to the '12-'13 B302 had mentioned the superior fit/finish of the chassis of the car. GT350 has higher performance levels for certain, but imo the B302 engine is one of the most robust Ford has made. The FPC 5.2 will be known as a bit exotic, albeit fragile imo.

I might add I also had a '12 Challenger SRT8. Fit/finish may not have been as good as the B302's I had but it was certainly better than both of the GT350's I had.
I have to agree that the Coyote engine in the Boss 302 was just a terrific engine with outstanding low end torque and to be quite honest the Laguna Seca cars that I had were just as fast as any of my GT350/R's in a straight line partly due to the very sticky P Zero Corsa tires along with the low end torque as mentioned. That tire to me is certainly superior to the Cup 2 tires on my R model.

Back in 2015 when the 50th Anniversary Mustang GT first came out I had both a 6 speed and automatic and enjoyed these cars immensely with the advertised horsepower of 435 HP being probably somewhat accurate but after driving my Boss cars right after the 2015 Mustang GT cars no one can tell me that there was only a 9 HP difference between the two vehicles. At 444 HP the Boss 302 engine was definitely underrated and probably closer to ~480 HP at the crank.

I recall having a couple of car buddies dyno test their Coyote engines and they came in at 416 HP to 420 HP at the rear wheels which certainly confirms much more than the 444 HP as advertised by Ford with stock quarter mile times of 12.3 and zero to 60 of 4.1 seconds and confirmed how much faster it was than the 2015 Mustang GT cars at 435 HP.

When it comes to the Voodoo I also agree that it is a very high strung exotic engine and that Ford certainly went out on a limb in order to develop this 315 CI FPC engine. Unfortunately some individuals such as yourself and others have found out that some of these exotic engines had a few internal issues. Myself and all of the many car buddies of mine that own these cars fortunately have not had any issues to date and certainly feel for the small percentage that had some engine failures.

My personal experience with respect to paint, body fit and finish between the 2 cars (Boss vs GT350) is very similar with a slight edge to the GT350 on paint and exterior/fit/ finish/panel gap and found that the fit and finish of the GT350's interior somewhat better than my Boss cars.

:)
Sponsored