Sponsored

Why are GTs so slow on Motorways?

Splash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2017, Ford Fiesta ST200.
In the last couple of months I've had to take couple long drives north, on both occasions I've passed GTs on the motorway that are being driven well under the limit. I don't see many about.

On Sunday I passed a red GT (with black stripes) it had just joined the M6 after a junction. It pulled into the middle lane and moved to lane 3. I was doing 70 (it was a 370 mile run so I wasn't going mental) I gave it a toot and a wave as I passed. I expected it to keep pace, it's always nice seeing another stang so you can admire it. But it got further and further behind. I could see it in my mirrors but at no point did it get anywhere near me again. I maintained 70 throughout.

I had a similar experience on the M1 a couple of months ago with a silver GT.

Is there a reason for that?
Sponsored

jonny10buds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt, 1972 Lincoln Continental MkIV, 2010 Honda Accord (daily driver)
In the last couple of months I've had to take couple long drives north, on both occasions I've passed GTs on the motorway that are being driven well under the limit. I don't see many about.

On Sunday I passed a red GT (with black stripes) it had just joined the M6 after a junction. It pulled into the middle lane and moved to lane 3. I was doing 70 (it was a 370 mile run so I wasn't going mental) I gave it a toot and a wave as I passed. I expected it to keep pace, it's always nice seeing another stang so you can admire it. But it got further and further behind. I could see it in my mirrors but at no point did it get anywhere near me again. I maintained 70 throughout.

I had a similar experience on the M1 a couple of months ago with a silver GT.

Is there a reason for that?
If it’s on Sundays these will be American car enthusiasts driving to a car show somewhere, different breed, most of them are terrified of what they drive and aren’t great with directions either. I’ve dipped my toe in and out of that scene for nearly 30 years and have observed this, sometimes I take my 1972 Lincoln Continental and often pass modern high powered American muscle being driven at 50-60 mph on the motorway, their drivers tightly gripping the wheel and staring straight ahead. Some of them will have saved up to buy the fuel to attend the said event and when they arrive 30 minutes after me will go on to tell me how they got over 30 mpg on their way to the show.

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
I do 60-65 on the motorway as I’m never in any great rush to get anywhere. Plus I usually have the window down and exhaust in track :)

Couldn’t give a crap about the mpg

Off the motorway is the place to have fun with one of these :)

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Motorways I’m on cruise at 70 all the time, gotta keep that mpg in the high teens :cwl:

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Half an mpg thing, half just because i feel more comfortable. I’ll generally cruise at 70mph, but depending on how busy the road is, sometimes it’ll be on at 65. When i see another mustang i’m usually being overtaken haha

Done a few motorway runs since i topped up the tank recently, looks to be about a 400 mile range which i’m well happy with

This is my daily so I can’t drive like a hooligan all the time!

Sponsored

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
You'll have trouble hitting 400.

I filled up abroad on a motorway once and got straight up to 70 and sat there.

Managed 389 before I had to chicken out and find a station.

I guess if you cruise at 65ish for the entire tank, +400 is possible.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
You'll have trouble hitting 400.

I filled up abroad on a motorway once and got straight up to 70 and sat there.

Managed 389 before I had to chicken out and find a station.

I guess if you cruise at 65ish for the entire tank, +400 is possible.
M4 roadworks help! Sat on that stretch at 50mph for probably more than half a tanks worth, but yea 400 is rare.

OP
OP
Splash

Splash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2017, Ford Fiesta ST200.
I knew my EBM was the right choice, giving me 38mpg on the motorway and at one point 500+ in range.

My reasons for going for the EBM was about power you can use, while I love hearing and seeing really powerful cars what I can use when I'm stuck behind a caravan is limited. Added to which I think a GT would kill me, I can think I'm a hero but the reality is probably much different. I came down an empty road in the Highlands on Saturday night with great visibility and touched a speed I'd rather not write down (I backed out as soon as I realised I'd left my foot in a little too long.)

I really do love my EBM as an all-rounder.

Pilgrim/uk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
GT Yellow
It depends what motorway and what's the traffic like the m1 is full of smart motorway speed cams so tend to sit at 70 but I mainly use the A1 not quite as boring to cruise up and down lol not that it matters much but I usually get over 30 mpg on long runs up and down the A1 best ever was 38 but I was playing see how much I could get that day lots of lift n coast lol and that was keeping to the limits too so was at 70 when I could
But I too have caught up some GT`s cruising along at 50 to 60 but got bored sat behind them lol

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Amazing that the only people that drive at 70 or less on motorways are lorries, caravans and Mustang drivers!

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
My range has never hit 300, in fact as I put in fuel ÂŁ50 at a time it rarely makes 220. Very steady on motorways, but like to take advantages of opportunities as they arise on the single-lane A roads of North East Scotland. Biggest issue is that almost all of my trips are 15-20 miles.

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
Personally - I didnt buy the Mustang for economy...

I really dont care how many MPG it does or doesnt do

I also wont be intimidated by (usually young) Audi / BMW drivers who want to race! (I still dont get it - WTF for?)

I will usually obey the speed limits but I wont be one of the Mustangs doing 50-60 on motorways! (apart from the Howden cruise each month - when 20+ Mustangs are very careful to not break any laws on the way to the Howden meeting!)

Maybe the guys you saw were in 6th gear and forgot to change down to catch up with you?:crackup: (6th gear is a waste of a gear IMHO)

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Come drive around the United States and you'll be wishing for just the opposite. EVERYONE will try and race you, from other Mustangs to teenagers in their riced out Honda, hell my 95 year old grandmother will rev at you and her Mercury Grand Marquis.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I also wont be intimidated by (usually young) Audi / BMW drivers who want to race! (I still dont get it - WTF for?)
Because they drive a clearly superior vehicle and the only way to prove it is to drive past anyone trying to disprove that point as fast as humanly possible :giggle:
Sponsored