Sponsored

Whipple car throttle issue

Redemption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
2017 6spd w/ stage 2 kit.
Having major drive-ability issues and my logs are showing no less than 9% throttle at idle & warmed up and no more than 87% at WOT. The car is impossible to take off smooth since I touch the gas and it shoots up to 24%. Im thinking this is making the bypass valve close too soon & making the problem worse. And at 87% its not hitting Power Enrichment.
I changed the TB motor to my original and no change. I was thinking about changing the TPS/pedal assembly but don’t want to just throw parts at it.
I have sent everything to Whipple and they have responded that they are reviewing everything but this is making me nuts waiting as the car is almost undriveable.
Anyone think its mechanical and not tune related? I have load & knock limiting toggled off but maybe Im missing something else here.
Sponsored

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
You may have done this:

No cel?
Recheck all vacuum lines or check for leaks.
Disconnect battery for +10 minutes.
Put stock tune back on and reload Whipple tune.

Definitely easier to diagnose in person and Whipple is the best source.

Might get more input if you post this in the Forced Induction section.

OP
OP
Redemption

Redemption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
You may have done this:

No cel?
Recheck all vacuum lines or check for leaks.
Disconnect battery for +10 minutes.
Put stock tune back on and reload Whipple tune.

Definitely easier to diagnose in person and Whipple is the best source.
No MIL and my nGauge shows zero codes.
I wish it would throw one, it would make this much easier to figure out. Checked for leaks & nothing acts like that’s it. Fuel trims aren’t out of whack, idles at 800, etc.

OP
OP
Redemption

Redemption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
No MIL and my nGauge shows zero codes.
I wish it would throw one, it would make this much easier to figure out. Checked for leaks & nothing acts like that’s it. Fuel trims aren’t out of whack, idles at 800, etc.
The car acted the same since day one. It sat with the battery disconnected for a month and its back where it was. I can try loading & reloading tonight but hopefully Whipple gets this figured out & tells me what to look at soon.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Yeah that has got to be frustrating. I’ve installed 5 Whipple units all initially on their tune and nothing like any of your issues have occurred. Whipple is very good with their support and being patient is never an easy thing. Let them get you sorted out.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Have you tested the TB voltages as per Whipple’s hidden instructions?
It seems that plenty of people miss this step given that it isn’t part of the install instructions.
I had a similar situation with mine and you’re correct, if the blade is popping open too quickly, you’ll close the bypass valve - hello boost.

OP
OP
Redemption

Redemption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
You are absolutely correct. I just found a sheet from Whipple online about this and went outside & mine is reading 4.08 with the throttle forced closed and it looks like the throttle stop screws need to be adjusted along with the magnet. I have up to 4.5v to play with & I bet that will cure this. I will be reporting back in a bit.

vegasgt50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
Fuck it. Send that shit,
YOLO
P
U
S
S
Y

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
You are absolutely correct. I just found a sheet from Whipple online about this and went outside & mine is reading 4.08 with the throttle forced closed and it looks like the throttle stop screws need to be adjusted along with the magnet. I have up to 4.5v to play with & I bet that will cure this. I will be reporting back in a bit.
If for some reason yours is like mine and can’t be made to fall within both specs, just aim for the 0.45v (I don’t recall if that’s TP1 or TP2 sorry, been a while since I did it).
Whipple insist that this is the only spec that matters.
Best of luck.
Also, just keep in mind that the movement range is MINISCULE. You may only have to move the magnet 0.001 degrees. It’s a prick to get right.
This vid I made might help a little.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Redemption

Redemption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
That video was very helpful with the magnet, thank you Burkey
Unfortunately after getting TP2 in the fully closed position & .445v and all other specs perfect, relaxed, TP1etc it made no difference. Still won’t see under 9% at idle and 87% WOT. I sent Whipple my logs last Wednesday, they emailed me Monday that they are reviewing them, called Wednesday said they are still reviewing them, emailed them yesterday for an update on anything and still nothing. Very frustrating.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Redemption

Redemption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
On a side note, it is actually easy to take off smooth from a stop until the car is completely warmed up. Feels completely normal, actually. Once its warm it starts bucking and a nightmare to drive. Don’t know if that gives anyone any ideas for me.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Can you post the logs? I’m not good at reading them but have a friend that can break them down.

OP
OP
Redemption

Redemption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
They are on my work email but I only have my iPhone until Monday. I see them and can view them & saved them to my files but it won’t let me put them on here.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Here is a really way to view logs and share them. Just register here very simple and you and view and share your logs in graphic format.

https://datazap.me/
Sponsored