Which short throw shifter is best?

Lakejunky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I've got a 2016 GT PP and I'm thinking about buying a short throw shifter. Looking for some feedback from anyone that has made this upgrade. Which one is best? This is a daily driver, not looking for track performance. Thanks
Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
mgw.

Clark Griswold

Food Additive Designer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Mustang
Barton Hybrid III with Flat Stick. DD my car and love the feel/precision of this thing.

Clark Griswold

Food Additive Designer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Mustang
You just push it down. Barton makes a version with the reverse pull up collar if you prefer the stock look. I chose the flat stick version because of the vintage look and I personally prefer the push-down reverse style. Went with the body mount instead of the trans mount since I DD my car more than track it.

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Boomba Racing.
Easy in cabin installation, yeah the tool rental is a hassle but their shop is only a few miles away from me.
Quality.... On Point !
Perfect height.
As far as "The Best" ? That's a loaded question.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Can't say enough great things about my MGW. It transforms the driving experience. I'm sure the hybrid 3 transmission mounted is quite similar. Either way, go trans mounted shifter. The NVH is so, so minimal and the benefits far exceed it. I've driven a full shifter replacement that's still body mounted and it's not the same.

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Another vote for MGW! Add to that the service I received from George and his group and they can't be beat...

OP
OP
Lakejunky

Lakejunky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Thanks for all of the input guys. Honestly, I came into this thinking Steeda would be the one. So you've all given me some great feedback that I wasn't expecting. I've got a Gibson exhaust that is loud AF, but I'm still not looking for any added NVH. I'm probably going to have it installed, how do they stack up on install cost?

Sponsored

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
I can't speak to the install cost as I did the install myself. I will say that I do have some minimal vibration above 4k RPM but I believe that should be expected from a trans mounted shifter. I'll gladly take that over the body mounted shifter getting torqued out of position and causing missed shifts...

OP
OP
Lakejunky

Lakejunky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I can't speak to the install cost as I did the install myself. I will say that I do have some minimal vibration above 4k RPM but I believe that should be expected from a trans mounted shifter. I'll gladly take that over the body mounted shifter getting torqued out of position and causing missed shifts...
How difficult was the install? Roughly how long did it take?

Clark Griswold

Food Additive Designer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Mustang
FWIW, I've never missed a shift on my body mounted shifter, but hey to each his own. Had mine installed with some other things at the same time. Think it came out to around $150 for the shifter portion.

OP
OP
Lakejunky

Lakejunky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
FWIW, I've never missed a shift on my body mounted shifter, but hey to each his own. Had mine installed with some other things at the same time. Think it came out to around $150 for the shifter portion.
Cool, I like the look of the Barton, appreciate your help.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
My take is: if you really want to keep the pull up reverse, go Barton. If you want push down or don't care (I got used to it pretty quickly), MGW. The one nice feature of the Barton the MGW doesn't have is the adjustable spring tension, but it is pretty much perfect with the MGW.
Sponsored