Sponsored

Which car do I choose ? M1 vs 13’ GT500

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Out of those two cars, I would pick the GT500, because it doesn't have the newer spy on the driver features, cheap PWTA cylinder bores, direct injection, I don't like the newer Mustang manual transmission gearing.. the list goes on.

However, I prefer the ride and handling of the IRS post 2015 Mustangs by far over the S197s and the Mach 1 is a great handling vehicle. If the roads are smooth and nice in your area, you will be fine in the GT500 And especially you will be fine if you are mostly taking it easy with a few straight line full throttle blasts every once in a while.

I personally would buy a 2015-2017 Mustang GT and modify it to be what I want. And I would work on the mods with my kid so the kid ends up feeling nostalgic about the car and actually will want to own and drive it later in life.

More than 2 cents - I hope it's helpful. Most important is to do what YOU want and what will make you happy. Definitely test drive more than one of each car and take your time with the decision. Research, think on it. Either will be used at this point, so there's no rush.

Good luck!
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
cheap PWTA cylinder bores
Actually ford debuted the PWTA technology on the trinity engine, and in case you didn't know the trinity was the 5.8 used in the 13-14 GT500's

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302
I second this. The Boss 302 is still an incredible car and was the pinnacle of the S197 platform IMHO.

I still miss mine to this day & hope to add one back eventually.
I just went from a 2020 GT PP1 to the Boss, and I definitely prefer the Boss, the tighter gearing and the rawness of the car, make it way more enjoyable to drive

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Actually ford debuted the PWTA technology on the trinity engine, and in case you didn't know the trinity was the 5.8 used in the 13-14 GT500's
No, I didn't know that. I assumed that it was new with the GT350 and was the reason there were issues with rings in the early ones and problems with the Coyotes after Ford switched those. I don't remember hearing about a lot of issues with the GT500 engines. Possibly they were built better, or I just didn't pay enough attention at the time.

I would still lean towards a GT500 over a Mach 1. A blown 5.8 is pretty cool in my book. And the Mach 1s are going to depreciate for a few years now, whereas the S197 GT500s are probably near their bottom.

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Depreciation does not matter here. OP wants a car to keep.

Sponsored

Argpi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Argpi
Vehicle(s)
A couple GT350's, Terminator, 18 GT PP1
While in theory I like that idea, throwing down an extra 5k for a warranty does not appeal to me, nor does a car that I feel I need a warranty on, because eventually it runs out, and I plan on keeping the car longer than that and from what I’ve read and researched the motor shakes itself to death eventually even if nothing else goes wrong before then from the severe vibrations.
You owning 2 however id love to hear your thoughts on the matter. How many miles have you put on them? Because I plan on putting 8-12k miles on this thing a year until it’s paid off at least
So the first one I bought was a 17 in Black probably 5 years ago, I’ve driven it maybe 700 miles total, long story on why I have 2. The second is magnetic with stripes, this was my original choice as it had full PPF and the dealer did not know, car #69, bought this about 3 weeks after the 1st, it has 44k miles today and I drive it a couple times a week, the JLT Separator has about 2 teaspoons in it every 1k on the passenger side. I might add a quarter quart in 1k miles. Drives great, A/C is great but I don’t abuse the car, yes redline is 8250 I’m perfectly fine shifting at 4-5k, I get all the sounds I need, the looks I like, it’s a special car, I too have a 2 year old, I don’t need to die so I'm happy driving the speed limit. Don’t be scared but a GT350, you’ll be less likely to get yourself in trouble with less torque! And like me you need to live a long time still 😄

OP
OP

Shanksfornothin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Teejay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lexus IS200T
So the first one I bought was a 17 in Black probably 5 years ago, I’ve driven it maybe 700 miles total, long story on why I have 2. The second is magnetic with stripes, this was my original choice as it had full PPF and the dealer did not know, car #69, bought this about 3 weeks after the 1st, it has 44k miles today and I drive it a couple times a week, the JLT Separator has about 2 teaspoons in it every 1k on the passenger side. I might add a quarter quart in 1k miles. Drives great, A/C is great but I don’t abuse the car, yes redline is 8250 I’m perfectly fine shifting at 4-5k, I get all the sounds I need, the looks I like, it’s a special car, I too have a 2 year old, I don’t need to die so I'm happy driving the speed limit. Don’t be scared but a GT350, you’ll be less likely to get yourself in trouble with less torque! And like me you need to live a long time still 😄
That’s me all day. I’ve driven one once before and was blown away how much I loved it. I’d want to go to that 8k RPM like maybe once a week getting on the interstate just because I could when it’s early and nobody is on the road but yea most days I’ll be content between 4-6 and smile big because I drive a Shelby. I just see so many posts (and even I’ve posted questions about this) in reliability. I know the gen 2 ‘19 + is supposed to be better but so many people say the engine blew on them. Most instance I’ve heard involve the track, but some are just “yea I was driving around time going to the store and boom” and then others here have posted 150k+ on a gen 1 and say it runs great no problems… I wish I really knew how safe or unsafe that investment was, because as much as I love it, I can’t be screwing around with my daily needing a new 20k motor. Buying the car is a big investment for me as is. Something like that would be catastrophic for my family. And I won’t buy a car I “NEED” a warranty for.

Kabayo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT
Would really love some outside perspectives and owners thoughts.
just clarify who I am, and where I’m coming from.
I want to buy a daily driver that I keep forever. Like I want to pass this thing down to my son who’s only 2. We have a family car that gets most of the miles so this car really just takes me to work (mostly highway)with some bumper to bumper traffic at times, and the gym/small errands.

It’s always been a dream to own a GT500 and I owned a ‘12 and 13’ mustang convertibles so that style is something I love. So naturally the GT500 is a perfect match in theory. I also used to be big into convertibles. Buts it’s been 6 years and a whole family built since then. I also know there’s a lot of tech missing there when it comes to a DD vs today, let’s be honest it was pretty dated tech even in 13’

Originally I wanted the 19’ GT350, I thought the car was special, but after a deep rabbit hole I’ve decided it’s a bad daily and unbelievable, maybe it isn’t but it’ll keep me up at night sweating a engine rebuild eventually.

which lead me to a mach 1, it’s classic badging, the front grill some-what reminds me of a 13’ I love the body, the track pack wing ect. The jet fighter grey is gorgeous and of course and maybe most importantly the brilliant tremec. I know the 5.0 is bullet proof and will last forever, it has all the new comforts and tech. It is a brilliant car top to bottom.

would love some owners thoughts on these cars maybe someone has owned both and can give me new things to consider on my buying process. I actively have both cars close by, I’ve driven both and love both for different reason they are very different cars
it sounds like you have answered your own question. go with the M1

Snellemin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt, '14 Expedition, Merc C300, Scion xb,
That’s me all day. I’ve driven one once before and was blown away how much I loved it. I’d want to go to that 8k RPM like maybe once a week getting on the interstate just because I could when it’s early and nobody is on the road but yea most days I’ll be content between 4-6 and smile big because I drive a Shelby. I just see so many posts (and even I’ve posted questions about this) in reliability. I know the gen 2 ‘19 + is supposed to be better but so many people say the engine blew on them. Most instance I’ve heard involve the track, but some are just “yea I was driving around time going to the store and boom” and then others here have posted 150k+ on a gen 1 and say it runs great no problems… I wish I really knew how safe or unsafe that investment was, because as much as I love it, I can’t be screwing around with my daily needing a new 20k motor. Buying the car is a big investment for me as is. Something like that would be catastrophic for my family. And I won’t buy a car I “NEED” a warranty for.
So I set my rev limiter at 8K rpm on my Bullitt and do rev it up that high once in a while. You could do the same with the Mach 1. And while you are at it, run a E85 Tune for even more fun. And if you do the E85 thing, a Soler throttle-body will make it more fun.

Blue 350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350, 2019 Subaru Forester, 1971 Chevelle
For a daily I'd get the Mach. More under the radar and more usable power as any S197 GT 500 has a difficult time putting power down withought tires and suspension work. Just one of the reasons I traded my 12 GT 500 for a 19 GT 350.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Shanksfornothin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Teejay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lexus IS200T
For a daily I'd get the Mach. More under the radar and more usable power as any S197 GT 500 has a difficult time putting power down withought tires and suspension work. Just one of the reasons I traded my 12 GT 500 for a 19 GT 350.
But you also went for the 350 instead of the M1….why ? And how has it treated you ?

Argpi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Argpi
Vehicle(s)
A couple GT350's, Terminator, 18 GT PP1
Don’t be scared Shanks, I don’t have a warranty on the 16 and although I have a warranty on the 17, I wish I hadn’t bought it as I don’t drive it. Find a one owner car with PPF, an MGW and rails already installed. Thank me later.

OP
OP

Shanksfornothin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Teejay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lexus IS200T
Don’t be scared Shanks, I don’t have a warranty on the 16 and although I have a warranty on the 17, I wish I hadn’t bought it as I don’t drive it. Find a one owner car with PPF, an MGW and rails already installed. Thank me later.
WGW? 44k is great, it’s the 80-100k mark I worry about. I’ve ran multiple coyotes and know so many people that are 100k even 200k into life and doing great with proper maintenance. I fear the voodoo won’t hold with me that long without a major incident. I get these aren’t Camrys we are talking about and any motor can have a major malfunction, but I hear an awfully lot of them from the voodoo and I hear of few to nobody that DD a 350 and has a 100k miles

Blue 350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350, 2019 Subaru Forester, 1971 Chevelle
But you also went for the 350 instead of the M1….why ? And how has it treated you ?
I purchased my GT 350 Dec 2019, the Mach was not available yet, but it wouldn't have mattered as I was only interested in the 350. No issues at all sitting at 12 k .

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I'd still get a mach 1 and throw on some long tubes and tune it for E85 and enjoy the car then.
This all day. I have a PP, not a Mach but a set of long tubes, a JLT intake, and a Wengerd Tune (10R80 car) and it is a completely different car now. So much better, power delivery is insane...
Sponsored