Sponsored

Where the heck did this come from??

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
I noticed something sticking out from under the door on my Mustang. Turns out it was the lip on this large castle nut poking through. This appears to be the same nut as the one used on the hinges, but both hinges on that side have the nut still on them so where did this come from? Is there a 3rd location on the door that uses the same nut and I just don't see it? I've looked at some parts fiche and I only see 2 locations for it on each door but maybe I am missing something?

Hadn't had a passenger in it in the last couple of weeks so I'm not sure how long it's been sitting there but it most definitely was not there when I last washed the car a few weeks ago. Weird!

Extra nut.jpg
Sponsored

mech94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
door hinge

OP
OP

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
The 2 passenger side door hinges have the same nut correctly in place as I mentioned earlier so I am confused as to where this one came from. Driver's side ones are also in place.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
1662247948825.jpeg

Boy-O-Boy, am I glad you posted this…. I have been trying to diagnose what that damn noise was every time the wife closed the passenger door. I saw your photo and I immediately checked mine…….. eureka!
It appears that I have a more escalated problem then you do!
The good news is that we have a good starting point in order to get this mad capped carnival of mayhem behind us!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Haha man oh man I wish it was a joke! It's definitely the same style of nut used to fasten the hinges to the door (here is the top one and the bottom one is in place, too). The idea that is was lodged where it was it so weird.

Nut top.jpg

Replicator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT (RS3 Clone)
Haha man oh man I wish it was a joke! It's definitely the same style of nut used to fasten the hinges to the door (here is the top one and the bottom one is in place, too). The idea that is was lodged where it was it so weird.

Nut top.jpg
From being on my fair share of Ford assembly plants, my bet is the assembler dropped a nut during assembly, didn't find it anywhere, assumed it fell on the floor, grabbed a new nut and moved on. It just happen to lodge somewhere until now where it fell down the door jamb.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
From being on my fair share of Ford assembly plants, my bet is the assembler dropped a nut during assembly, didn't find it anywhere, assumed it fell on the floor, grabbed a new nut and moved on. It just happen to lodge somewhere until now where it fell down the door jamb.
100% this.

OP
OP

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
My long time Mustang mechanic told me the exact same thing! Too funny. And my car was built the week the factory reopened after the COVID lockdown and there have been some weird issues with it from day 1.

I guess to put this to rest, can anyone confirm that there are only 2 of those nuts on each side of the car? If there is not a 3rd one somewhere, then this nut was definitely just an oversight.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Yes, I can confirm based on your research and advise from others in this thread.
Carry on!

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
20-2? will be known as pandemic specials. It's not just the Mustang.

A return to the 70s. Auto union strikes, Coke bottles in the doors. Lots of cracked engine castings etc...

In the end, the cars are less than they could be.
Sponsored