Sponsored

Where do the S550 Shelby Super Snakes fit in amongst the GT350's?

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I'm far from a "purist." In fact, in many ways, I'm the opposite. I could give a shit if you call it a Taliban 350, as long as it performs well.

I don't really care for posers or upbadging, not because it hurts my nuts, but because it's just tacky and douchey, if you wanna wear a fake rolex that's your choice, but I think you're a douchebag if you do.

Having said all that, it begs a philsophical question (or two).

1) If I take a mustang GT and replace EVERY part or piece on it (down to things like the tune) and make it absolutely IDENTICAL to a tuner car (which is what Roush and RTR and Shelby American and Saleen and Hennessy are....they're not manufacturers, they're aftermarket tuners). If I were to recreate any of these specialty vehicles with the EXACT same components, does that make it equivalent? I'm sure you'll get some say yes, some say no.

That question, leads into the next and more cogent point.....

I've owned 3 mustangs now. I took a long break after 2009 and bought my GT350 in 2017. When deciding between a Roush Stage 3, a GT350 or a GT and build it up, here's where my extensive research landed.

You can replicate an RS3. You can build up a GT. You can take a GT and actually replicate the Shelby American offerings (all but the widebody, they won't sell you the widebody panels anymore, you HAVE to have them installed in vegas). But you really can't replicate a GT350. You just can't. And here's why.

The 350 ends up being the best "value" in terms of, what would it cost me to replicate this product?

If you bought a mustang GT and tried to simply swap out parts until you created a GT350, you'd end up spending more, perhaps WAY more than if you just bought the 350.

That gap is narrowing (with all the shared elements of the 350 hitting GT's and Mach-1s now) but in 2017, you just physically could NOT do all the swaps necessary and come out ahead. The same is true (although a little less so) for the GT500 (only because of the absurd dealer rapist pricing and Ford being assholes keeping production choked).

You can replicate a Roush, and save a little money. You can replicate a Shelby Super snake and save a lot of money. You can replicate a GT350, but in the end it'll cost you more to recreate one than to just buy the real McCoy.

THAT is value.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I'm far from a "purist." In fact, in many ways, I'm the opposite. I could give a shit if you call it a Taliban 350, as long as it performs well.

I don't really care for posers or upbadging, not because it hurts my nuts, but because it's just tacky and douchey, if you wanna wear a fake rolex that's your choice, but I think you're a douchebag if you do.

Having said all that, it begs a philsophical question (or two).

1) If I take a mustang GT and replace EVERY part or piece on it (down to things like the tune) and make it absolutely IDENTICAL to a tuner car (which is what Roush and RTR and Shelby American and Saleen and Hennessy are....they're not manufacturers, they're aftermarket tuners). If I were to recreate any of these specialty vehicles with the EXACT same components, does that make it equivalent? I'm sure you'll get some say yes, some say no.

That question, leads into the next and more cogent point.....

I've owned 3 mustangs now. I took a long break after 2009 and bought my GT350 in 2017. When deciding between a Roush Stage 3, a GT350 or a GT and build it up, here's where my extensive research landed.

You can replicate an RS3. You can build up a GT. You can take a GT and actually replicate the Shelby American offerings (all but the widebody, they won't sell you the widebody panels anymore, you HAVE to have them installed in vegas). But you really can't replicate a GT350. You just can't. And here's why.

The 350 ends up being the best "value" in terms of, what would it cost me to replicate this product?

If you bought a mustang GT and tried to simply swap out parts until you created a GT350, you'd end up spending more, perhaps WAY more than if you just bought the 350.

That gap is narrowing (with all the shared elements of the 350 hitting GT's and Mach-1s now) but in 2017, you just physically could NOT do all the swaps necessary and come out ahead. The same is true (although a little less so) for the GT500 (only because of the absurd dealer rapist pricing and Ford being assholes keeping production choked).

You can replicate a Roush, and save a little money. You can replicate a Shelby Super snake and save a lot of money. You can replicate a GT350, but in the end it'll cost you more to recreate one than to just buy the real McCoy.

THAT is value.
Yeah early on your post you hit on it already. It will never be a real GT350 but if it was a bargain to YOU and you enjoyed it, that would be worthwhile no matter what others said. But it cant be reasonably done at this time and there are plenty available, so unless you're buying a totalled car at a bargain and swap it to a good shell, it's a no go...and even then, depending on what you value your time at, it could be a losing proposition.

All of this is also why these will continue to be very desirable cars.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Yeah early on your post you hit on it already. It will never be a real GT350 but if it was a bargain to YOU and you enjoyed it, that would be worthwhile no matter what others said. But it cant be reasonably done at this time and there are plenty available, so unless you're buying a totalled car at a bargain and swap it to a good shell, it's a no go...and even then, depending on what you value your time at, it could be a losing proposition.

All of this is also why these will continue to be very desirable cars.
I think you misunderstand. I have a "real" GT350. Because trying to replicate one costs way more than just buying one.

That's not true for the "Shelby American" cars, or the Roush variants or virtually anything outside the recent Ford licensed products.

If you tried to start with a GT (or any other mustang model really) and replicate a GT500, you'd again, end up spending WAY more than just buying a GT500. These concepts are especially true if you're talking OEM parts for the R or the track pack (CF wing, wheels, etc).

If you wanted, you could buy a GT and do everything Shelby or Roush does and come out ahead. But the 350 and the new 500 start off not as GT's with some upgraded parts, they start off as very different cars/platforms. Even the GT350 hood is different than the GT.

And that was BEFORE my recent build where I discovered all sorts of minor parts and assemblies that were unique and upgraded to the 350 (things like chain tensioners, radiator)

The value is that I purchased something that couldn't be remade more easily (even with my own time and sweat). The list of parts different between the GT350 and the GT are WAY WAY more extensive and sizeable than the list of parts between a Shelby Super Snake and a GT.

Motor (meaning, most of the motor, the block, rotating components, heads and all the valve train), exhaust, transmission, axles, suspension components, radiator, body components, seats, steering wheel, wheels, brakes, oil pan, heads up display, I'm not even sure if the ECU would have to be swapped.

Both the Shelby American products and the Ford Licensed products have commonality of parts, but the 350/500 share way less.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I am very happy with my 2019 Mustang Shelby GT350. I doubt this great engine will be produced again.

2019GT350a.jpg

I have an order for a new GT500, and I may get one or not.

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I think you misunderstand. I have a "real" GT350. Because trying to replicate one costs way more than just buying one.

That's not true for the "Shelby American" cars, or the Roush variants or virtually anything outside the recent Ford licensed products.

If you tried to start with a GT (or any other mustang model really) and replicate a GT500, you'd again, end up spending WAY more than just buying a GT500. These concepts are especially true if you're talking OEM parts for the R or the track pack (CF wing, wheels, etc).

If you wanted, you could buy a GT and do everything Shelby or Roush does and come out ahead. But the 350 and the new 500 start off not as GT's with some upgraded parts, they start off as very different cars/platforms. Even the GT350 hood is different than the GT.

And that was BEFORE my recent build where I discovered all sorts of minor parts and assemblies that were unique and upgraded to the 350 (things like chain tensioners, radiator)

The value is that I purchased something that couldn't be remade more easily (even with my own time and sweat). The list of parts different between the GT350 and the GT are WAY WAY more extensive and sizeable than the list of parts between a Shelby Super Snake and a GT.

Motor (meaning, most of the motor, the block, rotating components, heads and all the valve train), exhaust, transmission, axles, suspension components, radiator, body components, seats, steering wheel, wheels, brakes, oil pan, heads up display, I'm not even sure if the ECU would have to be swapped.

Both the Shelby American products and the Ford Licensed products have commonality of parts, but the 350/500 share way less.
Head up display??????