Sponsored

Where do the S550 Shelby Super Snakes fit in amongst the GT350's?

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I appreciate your well thought out post as it is one of the best posts that I have come across in a very long time. :sunglasses:

With respect to your comparison of a 2001 Jaguar XJR being much faster than your 1969 Mach 1 CJ not sure what prompted those comments? :facepalm:

Obviously your 2001 Jaguar XJR was much faster and so it should be as that car had 32 years of newer technology built into it which included a SC 4.0L engine, 5 speed transmission, fuel injection and has a great deal more horsepower than your '69 Mach I.

You that you do realize that your Mach 1's horsepower rating in 1969 was based on the SAE gross horsepower standard up to and including 1971 and then beginning in 1972 and beyond the horsepower rating standard was based on SAE HP net numbers which resulted in a significant reduction of horsepower (~20%) therefore your Jaguar had a great deal more power and was much faster than your Mach 1.

Having owned a Mustang from all 6 generations along with being allocated the very first Acura Integra GSR in Canada back in 1992, owned a 2018 Honda Civic Type R as well as still owning numerous GT350/R cars I certainly know the virtues of how fast and outstanding the cars of today are versus those cars from the Muscle Car era.

It was never my intent to suggest that the Muscle Car era vehicles could compete with today's cars in terms of performance on any level therefore not sure how you came to that conclusion regarding my earlier post?

Suggest that maybe go clean your own glasses and reread my post and maybe it will make a little more sense to you the second time around.

:wink:

2017 GT350R and 2018 Civic Type R - 1.jpg
šŸ˜‚, you are the one that claimed that Ford under rated, at 335, the horsepower of the 428 CJ engine.
I say no way
Each horse carry 11lbs on the CJ and for the xjr, the exact same 11lbs
Obviously the American pony must be pretty small compared to their British brethren....
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
šŸ˜‚, you are the one that claimed that Ford under rated, at 335, the horsepower of the 428 CJ engine.
I say no way
Each horse carry 11lbs on the CJ and for the xjr, the exact same 11lbs
Obviously the American pony must be pretty small compared to their British brethren....
Luc, I am not claiming anything but just the messenger with respect to Ford's advertised horsepower for the 428 CJ engine.

If you have any further doubts or questions about the advertised 335 HP for the 428 Cobra Jet engine I suggest that you take it up with the NHRA and the IHRA as they are much more intelligent and informed than me.

In the mean time I would recommend that you move your trolling comments over to another forum.

:sunglasses:

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Luc, I am not claiming anything but just the messenger with respect to Ford's advertised horsepower for the 428 CJ engine.

If you have any further doubts or questions about the advertised 335 HP for the 428 Cobra Jet engine I suggest that you take it up with the NHRA and the IHRA as they are much more intelligent and informed than me.

In the mean time I would recommend that you move your trolling comments over to another forum.

:sunglasses:
I will grant you that the CJ numbers were less inflated than other cars/manufacturers
Good read:
https://www.hagerty.com/media/archived/horsepower/

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
To be entered into a Shelby Registry you need a CSM number....for a 350 or 500 to get a CSM number it has to go to Vegas for a package upgrade.

ParkCity06

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP LR032, 2020 Raptor
You know, I was a weeeeeeee idea in Godā€™s master plan when the 65/66 GT350ā€™s came out but the first Shelby I ever saw was a 68ā€™ GT500KR. A guy offered to sell that car (manual car) and a pristine ā€˜71 429CJ Mach 1 to my father in 1982 for $6k together. My dad said, ā€œI donā€™t want that crap (pointing to the KR), but Iā€™ll take the ā€˜71,ā€ which he bought for $1200 on the spot. In all due respect, my dad had a bad incident in a ā€˜67 2+2 GT so he didnā€™t care for the body style at the time, but for many years thereafter kicked himself for not getting the ā€˜68.

Fast forward to today... I like it when people can say something and mean it. I even like it more when someone says, ā€œYou canā€™t,ā€ but a ā€œHell yes I can!ā€, comes back and the product is absolutely a damn-right HELL YEAH! Thatā€™s what I see in the GT350.

People told Shelby he couldnā€™t do what he envisioned with the Cobra, the Mustang and then the GT40.... but, that man had spirit, a gift/talent and a team second-to-none, and together that made some of the most compelling cars in history!

Someone said that Ford couldnā€™t build a larger displacement FPC... thankfully, someone at Ford, along with the finance department, was a pioneering spirit that said, ā€œEff you!... Letā€™s do it,ā€ and man what a jewel we got in the GT350/R. Iā€™m glad to be a part of history... a Eff you (!) history that does carry the legacy of a man who stood against the world and won.

if you think that the DMVā€™s opinion of your Shelby-whatever matters... you donā€™t buy into this legacy. Iā€™ll gladly fly the Shelby/Ford flag for you.

Carry on!
Would love to see a pic of your 71 Mach 1.

Sponsored

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
All 2015-2022 Ford Mustangs are the real deal (the engine).

All others are pretenders..

ParkCity06

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP LR032, 2020 Raptor

Unclenard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I remember your '71 Boss 351 just like it was yesterday and when you originally told me the story many years about the switched out block I was sick to my stomach about how someone could do something like that.

On a more positive note the '71 Boss 351 is just another great example of why The Ford Motor Company is my favorite automotive manufacturer based on it's forward thinking and outstanding leading technology.

The Boss 351 engine is without a doubt one of the most impressive power plants that Ford has ever released in a regular production vehicle with 1806 examples being built back in the day.

In 1970/1971 when General Motors and Chrysler (especially GM) were dramatically reducing the compression ratios for their high performance line up of cars, what does Ford do but build a very impressive solid lifter small block engine and increased the compression ratio to 11.7 : 1 which was very much out of the norm during the time. :like: :like:

With a rating of just 330 HP there is no question that Ford intentionally underrated the true horsepower of this engine just as they did when rating the output starting with the '68 1/2 428 CJ cars.

Back in the day both Car and Driver and also Motortrend regularly were posting 13.7 and 13.8 quarter mile times for the Boss 351 which was very impressive for a ~3,600# car and can tell you first hand that it was a terror when it came to stop light racing that we did at the time.

I distinctly remember reading various publications back in the early 2000's one of which was Muscle Car Review Magazine at which time the put together a list for the " 50 Fastest Muscle Cars" of all time and took into consideration publications such as Car Craft, Car and Driver, Motortrend, Hot Rod Magazine and Super Stock Magazine amongst a couple others.

Of the Top 50 Fastest Musclecars listed there were only 2 small block vehicles that made the Top 50 list with the rest of the list made up of 400, 426, 427, 428, 440, 454 and 455 cubic inch engine vehicles.

Those two small block engine vehicles were the 1971 Boss 351 coming in at position #35 and the other vehicle was a 1962 Corvette with a FI 327 and it came in at position #43.

Just another terrific example of The Ford Motor Company leading the way with the outstanding Boss 351 car and just as they have with the 2nd generation GT350/R's with the FPC engine and CF wheel initiative.

Thanks again Ford!! :clap::clap:
6A23B70A-95F2-485D-AE61-93A5A4AF0048.jpeg

I loved The B351. It was a bitter-hate kinda love after finding out the bad stuff but, the resto was done right otherwise.

I was able to find a B351 ā€œXā€ block soon after I sold it... just happened by chance. Wouldā€™ve been a neat block to put back in the car but it wouldā€™ve been a pricey adventure that I wouldnā€™t have gotten the rewards of.

Driving that car, and then driving the R was like riding in the BTtF Delorean with Marti. I had a sincere appreciation for how car guys made the older iron move. And to see the linkage on that top loader compared to the Tremec was like digging up fossils.

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
To be entered into a Shelby Registry you need a CSM number....for a 350 or 500 to get a CSM number it has to go to Vegas for a package upgrade.
That is not correct. I ordered the certificate and my GT350 is now registered.

https://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/s2ms-cert.htm
What you have done is registered your car in the Shelby registry. You do not have a CSM number.

Example: I also purchased a certificate for my 2020 GT500 when I got it, and it was entered into the Shelby Registry.

I then sent my car to Shelby American for the GT500 Signature Edition package (and wide body). When they are done with my car it will be an actual Shelby American car, with a Shelby American CSM #

Unclenard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
What you have done is registered your car in the Shelby registry. You do not have a CSM number.

Example: I also purchased a certificate for my 2020 GT500 when I got it, and it was entered into the Shelby Registry.

I then sent my car to Shelby American for the GT500 Signature Edition package (and wide body). When they are done with my car it will be an actual Shelby American car, with a Shelby American CSM #
I didn't say I received a CSM number. I was replying to the fact that noac stated that a CSM number was required to register a GT350 or GT500 in the Shelby Registry which isn't true. Which is what you just said as well. Any GT350 or GT500 can be registered without a CSM number.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't say I received a CSM number. I was replying to the fact that noac stated that a CSM number was required to register a GT350 or GT500 in the Shelby Registry which isn't true. Which is what you just said as well. Any GT350 or GT500 can be registered without a CSM number.
Right, sorry for my misinterpretation of your message.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I stand corrected about the registry/CSM in my above post..

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Is there a source (other than having to pay to joining a Shelby Registry) that has just the total S550 Super Snake production figures?

I've tried searching but can't hit on any specifics.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored