OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Having washed these last weekend, it's only fitting to make this week's post on the 21-inch 5-Double Spoke Black Diamond wheels on my sisters Volvo XC60 B6.

I really love the machined face set against the painted inner spokes. Cleaning wise, these wheels have a weird ledge that runs behind the spokes, which necessitates the need for a small wash mitt to get them properly clean behind the spokes and that ledge. The brake pads are also the typical euro dusty. This is basically the only car that I clean regularly that needs an iron remover wheel cleaner, which I use as a pre-treatment before contact washing with either foamed Brake Buster or soap. These Pirelli tyres are also receptive of different dressings, anything I put on them seems to look great.

IMG-9377.jpg

IMG-0420.jpg

IMG-9376.jpg

IMG-9386.jpg

IMG-9388.jpg

IMG-0425.jpg

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Having washed these last weekend, it's only fitting to make this week's post on the 21-inch 5-Double Spoke Black Diamond wheels on my sisters Volvo XC60 B6.

I really love the machined face set against the painted inner spokes. Cleaning wise, these wheels have a weird ledge that runs behind the spokes, which necessitates the need for a small wash mitt to get them properly clean behind the spokes and that ledge. The brake pads are also the typical euro dusty. This is basically the only car that I clean regularly that needs an iron remover wheel cleaner, which I use as a pre-treatment before contact washing with either foamed Brake Buster or soap. These Pirelli tyres are also receptive of different dressings, anything I put on them seems to look great.

IMG-9377.jpg

IMG-0420.jpg

IMG-9376.jpg

IMG-9386.jpg

IMG-9388.jpg

IMG-0425.jpg
Looks amazing :) . I recently got the Adams Graphene to try myself and I have used it once. I like it pretty good, seems durable although a little shiny for my taste even when I knock it back. KCx PSS is still my go to at the moment, although I want to try their Tire Glaze at some point, although with that name I bet it has the glazed donut look LOL :/

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Not a fan of "shiny" tires either, Alex and if you haven't tried Obsessed Garage's Tire Dressing, it's worth a look as it is now my favorite.

sarah_tire-dressing-buffed_230924.jpg
Maybe. I just can't get behind that guy or his products. They may work great but I want to reach thru the computer screen and slap the taste out of his mouth every time I hear his voice. Something about him makes me cringe. I'm sure he's a good dude, just not my cup of tea... I have settled on Koch Chemie PSS for my favorite at the moment. It's a little shiny but more of a semi matte and not glazed donut... Perl diluted 1:1 works great too just not durable at all.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Maybe. I just can't get behind that guy or his products.
I hear you loud and clear, Alex and I had the same initial reaction. That was quite a few years back but when I needed a PW, I returned to OG, put up with more of the voice while watching vids, and ultimately bought a unit from them.

Then, I found M6G and from there it was a direct path to our resident expert's wealth of knowledge <smile> and he turned me on to some of OG's brushes, MTM and Kranzle parts/maintenance, and finally, their Tire Dressing.

But, I still can't warm up to "The Voice." <grin> MOF, that was the moniker they applied to the head bad guy in "Man on Fire" with Denzel. <bigger grin>

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I could some tire cleaning advice. I have a brand new set of Conti ECS 02's on the car. I cannot seem to get the tire lube off of the side walls and out of the bead area. The discoloration of white and brown comes right back after they are dry. I don't want to apply a tire dressing to tires that I cannot get clean. Even multiple scrubbings with PS Brake buster doesn't touch it. I am thinking to try something harsher like a paint prep degreaser. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I could some tire cleaning advice. I have a brand new set of Conti ECS 02's on the car. I cannot seem to get the tire lube off of the side walls and out of the bead area. The discoloration of white and brown comes right back after they are dry. I don't want to apply a tire dressing to tires that I cannot get clean. Even multiple scrubbings with PS Brake buster doesn't touch it. I am thinking to try something harsher like a paint prep degreaser. Any thoughts?
Brake Buster is great, but sometimes you need to break out the sledgehammer!

I have done this on a few sets of brand-new tires, as well as dealing with recalcitrant set of Michelin's that resist each and every normal tire cleaner on the market. The thing is, both of these products are off label.

Stoners Tarminator!
Now, this is a heavy-duty tar and sap remover, but for some strange reason, using this to strip tires is its hidden talent. The use of Tarminator is not something you will do often, but its extremely effective for the initial clean to remove all of the fitment soap and release agents. And as mentioned above, occasional periodic use can help get tire back to that bare state.

Stoner Tarminator - 10oz (Aerosol) | Car Supplies Warehouse – Car Supplies Warehouse
Stoner Tarminator Tar & Sap Remover 295ml (autobuff.com.au)

IMG-2849.jpg

Start by cleaning the tires as normal, Brake Buster in your case. Ideally, blow dry the wheel and tire before using Tarminator. The important thing to highlight is to avoid spraying this directly onto the sidewall, especially if the wheels are matte black as it can stain them, it is a solvent after all. I spray Tarminator into a B-grade towel (you will destroy this towel, so don't pick something nice), then rub the sidewall or troublesome areas, be aggressive. Reapply Tarminator as often as needed. What you will notice is the product will go on wet and quickly absorb and evaporate to reveal bare, clean rubber.

IMG-9617.jpg

IMG_9618.jpg

IMG_9814.jpg

IMG_9817.jpg

These were brand new Michelin's, right after fitment.

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

Mineral Spirits or Mineral Turpentine -
You would use this is the exact same manner as Tarminator. The magical thing about Tarminator over Mineral Spirits is that it doesn't dry the rubber out so much, the citrus oils within it seem to condition the rubber afterwards and prepare the surface for dressing. Considering how cheap Tarminator is for you guys in the USA, its a no-brainer in my opinion.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Considering how cheap Tarminator is for you guys in the USA, its a no-brainer in my opinion.
Another good tip, thanks, D. Preparing for the BIG clean and polishing this Spring, I'll be grabbing some to compare with Mineral Spirits.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Brake Buster is great, but sometimes you need to break out the sledgehammer!

I have done this on a few sets of brand-new tires, as well as dealing with recalcitrant set of Michelin's that resist each and every normal tire cleaner on the market. The thing is, both of these products are off label.

Stoners Tarminator!
Now, this is a heavy-duty tar and sap remover, but for some strange reason, using this to strip tires is its hidden talent. The use of Tarminator is not something you will do often, but its extremely effective for the initial clean to remove all of the fitment soap and release agents. And as mentioned above, occasional periodic use can help get tire back to that bare state.

Stoner Tarminator - 10oz (Aerosol) | Car Supplies Warehouse – Car Supplies Warehouse
Stoner Tarminator Tar & Sap Remover 295ml (autobuff.com.au)

IMG-2849.jpg

Start by cleaning the tires as normal, Brake Buster in your case. Ideally, blow dry the wheel and tire before using Tarminator. The important thing to highlight is to avoid spraying this directly onto the sidewall, especially if the wheels are matte black as it can stain them, it is a solvent after all. I spray Tarminator into a B-grade towel (you will destroy this towel, so don't pick something nice), then rub the sidewall or troublesome areas, be aggressive. Reapply Tarminator as often as needed. What you will notice is the product will go on wet and quickly absorb and evaporate to reveal bare, clean rubber.

IMG-9617.jpg

IMG_9618.jpg

IMG_9814.jpg

IMG_9817.jpg

These were brand new Michelin's, right after fitment.

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

Mineral Spirits or Mineral Turpentine -
You would use this is the exact same manner as Tarminator. The magical thing about Tarminator over Mineral Spirits is that it doesn't dry the rubber out so much, the citrus oils within it seem to condition the rubber afterwards and prepare the surface for dressing. Considering how cheap Tarminator is for you guys in the USA, its a no-brainer in my opinion.
This is great! I can actually buy this Tarminator stuff at my local Walmart. I had no idea it was so good at cleaning tires. Can always count on superb advice from you @DFB5.0

Sponsored
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
This is great! I can actually buy this Tarminator stuff at my local Walmart. I had no idea it was so good at cleaning tires. Can always count on superb advice from you @DFB5.0
My pleasure.

As I said, its an off lable use of the product, but for some reason, it works so well.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
My pleasure.

As I said, its an off lable use of the product, but for some reason, it works so well.
Well you got me, I went on Amazon and ordered a 2 pack LOL :)

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
I was preparing for a local Mustang show near to me today (Ponies in the Smokies) which officially kicks off Monday. Anyway, I paid some extra love to my wheels today. Removed, cleaned thoroughly inside and out with CarPro TRIX to do the 1-2 punch on the iron and tar deposits. Used some KCx Active Foam in the bucket for soap. Found after cleaning they were still beading reasonably well after almost a year since coating. Rather than do a full re-coat I just sprayed thoroughly with CarPro Hydro and rinsed, blew dry then put back on the car. Did as deep a clean of my front calipers and fender wells as I could while it was apart. Much better :)

IMG_0427.jpeg

IMG_0426.jpeg

IMG_0424.jpeg

IMG_0420.jpeg

IMG_0418.jpeg

Last edited:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
I paid some extra love to my wheels today.
That's a huge job and, not one of my favorites, but the results are always worth the effort.

LOVE those wheels, Alex!

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
That's a huge job and, not one of my favorites, but the results are always worth the effort.

LOVE those wheels, Alex!
Thank you, I l LOVE them. They are much easier to clean than my PP wheels were even on the car LOL. I am glad I went with Gunmetal instead of black like I originally planned on.
Sponsored