OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
This Wednesday, the "Drug Dealer" spec 22-inch wheels on this Range Rover...............

I'm almost certain these 130,000 km (81,000 mile) old giants had never been deep cleaned, I struggled to get the barrels clean even after repeated hits with a sledgehammer wheel cleaner.

IMG_9089.jpg

IMG_9102.jpg

IMG_9105.jpg

Once "clean", I applied Carpro Hydr02, followed by a quick wipe down with Bead Maker and the tires dressed with Carpro Darkside. Most certainly the biggest wheels I had detailed to date.

IMG_9148.jpg

IMG_9133.jpg

IMG_9140.jpg

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
D: That is the nicest AND cleanest RR I have ever seen but I don't envy you the time spent on those wheels which was no doubt twice the amount of time spent on the rest of the vehicle.

Funny what OCD can do to ya, right? <grin> I'm thinking you even considered pulling those wheels for a better shot at the barrels. ;-)

Well done!

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
LOVE the truck, D, and you go way beyond my wheel detailing. I MIGHT pull the wheels once a year to clean them thoroughly but I've found that they are just as easy (for me) to clean without a coating.

I MAY have been hitting them too frequently with Brake Buster though. However, while I tried Dlux on them once, I didn't see or feel any real difference in slickness than from uncoated so I haven't used on them since.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
LOVE the truck, D, and you go way beyond my wheel detailing. I MIGHT pull the wheels once a year to clean them thoroughly but I've found that they are just as easy (for me) to clean without a coating.

I MAY have been hitting them too frequently with Brake Buster though. However, while I tried Dlux on them once, I didn't see or feel any real difference in slickness than from uncoated so I haven't used on them since.
If you want to give wheel coatings another shot, try Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour. I used it on my summer set and it held up pretty well. They need to be redone before I put them back on in a couple months but I got from April thru October with that coating. Heard good things about Gyeon Q2 Rim also.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue

I have found a good clean w/ iron removing wheel cleaner (KCx Magic Wheel Cleaner, NV Purge, Gyeon wheel cleaner) then a spray w/ spray sealant (Gyeon Wetcoat/ Carpro Hydro) works fantastic. I do this every wash and the spray sealant holds up well and helps repel brake dust pretty well. Luckily mine are really easy to clean with nice wide spokes :)

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

My first wheel coating was NV Wheel on my new FP wheels. My first observation was the grabby feel after coating and the so-so hydrophobic behavior. However, a lot of wheel-specific coatings are similar in having a tacky feel, this is the byproduct of being able to withstand the heat generated by brakes and road underneath. When Matt from OG was using DLUX, he was topping it with Gliss to bring some slickness and hydrophobics to the table.

Having applied Armour Detail Supply Wheel coating twice now, I couldn't be happier with the slickness and water behavior. While I can do without ceramic on paint, I think wheels are a must for me.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
If you want to give wheel coatings another shot, try Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armour.
I MAY, Mark, and if I do, I will look into Wheel Armour, thanks.

I have found a good clean w/ iron removing wheel cleaner
April to October is a long time, Alex, how often were you washing her during that period?

Luckily mine are really easy to clean with nice wide spokes :)
Fortunately, mine are thin and not too many spokes as well, Alex.

Having applied Armour Detail Supply Wheel coating twice now, I couldn't be happier with the slickness and water behavior. While I can do without ceramic on paint, I think wheels are a must for me.
That is interesting to me, amigo, but I believe you have a more severe case of OCD than I old buddy <chuckling> Allow me to explain.

As much as I enjoy cleaning wheels, one thing I don't enjoy is polishing or coating them. First, it is much more difficult to do either of those tasks with the wheel on the vehicle and, removing four wheels is not something I'm inclined to do on a regular basis.

With PowerStop pads, I get at least fifty percent less dust than with OEM pads and, with just an occasional wipe down with BM, the pressure washer easily removes the rest. Spending more time on them than that is too much work for this old bastid. <laughing>

As my friends Jaime (@Jmeo) and Terrance (@50 Deep) have said,

"The juice isn't worth the squeeze." <grin>

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
I MAY,

April to October is a long time, Alex, how often were you washing her during that period?
Weather permitting, she goes out every weekend. If it's nice weather. Almost always go out on a Saturday, and get the bath every Sunday. So pretty much every week lol.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
..and get the bath every Sunday.
Sounds like you have a similar climate as here, Alex, our good months are only a month or so on either side of yours. But, you probably don't get the HEAT we have down this way in the Summer. :=)

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you have a similar climate as here, Alex, our good months are only a month or so on either side of yours. But, you probably don't get the HEAT we have down this way in the Summer. :=)
It's pretty temperate here compared to Texas but there a few weeks that are hotter than Satan's butthole here in the valley. Go up in the mountains and it's typically cooler.. We had several triple digit days last summer. I am originally from western NC and it is a little cooler there, similar here but a few degrees hotter on average. Now I've got cousins that live in DFW and my aunt and uncle lived in the west Texas dessert for many years (Terlingua), it was definitely hot down there.