Wheel & Tire Suggestions

Mjv231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Milton
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
You shouldn't be 3.3 mph over if you had the 19" with the 40 series tires you should only be 1 to 1.5 mph off no more than that. What website did you use?
I used tiresize.com, but I just learned something new, so this vehicle I bought used obviously and realized my stock wheels are suppose to be 20 and they came on 19... so I was basing my calculations from the tires rather than what my car was made for...

OP
OP
capt_sneaky

capt_sneaky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Hey brother, I’m patiently waiting for my Velgen wheels which shipped today... I’m having trouble deciding on the right tire setup... I have also ordered coilovers, now the set up that was recommended to me was 275/35/20 Front 305/35/20 rear. Here is where I ran into some issues, a tire rep advices me that I should verify the rpm on the tire setup I’m thinking about doing won’t drastically change the speedometer.

now before I get crucified, this is my first S550 n is my dream car and I’m learning all these things as I go. Here is my question does it really matter? I found a website where I entered the specs and it told me with the 305/35/20 set up the speedometer will read 65 but I’ll really be going 68.3.

let me add that I’m driving a 2017. In case it matters.

Thank you guys for your input

I was wondering if the car would learn it and readjust accordingly. I'm in the same boat as your brutha I am learning all these things at once and its alot to digest

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I was wondering if the car would learn it and readjust accordingly. I'm in the same boat as your brutha I am learning all these things at once and its alot to digest
No the car wont relearn and adjust by itself. You will need to get your speedometer recalibrated. Do you know anyone that has the fordscan tool?

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I have a feeling you are going to learn to care about brand and performance of tires real soon.

I picked those wheels because they are the Performance Replicas. i don't really care what brand tires i buy i just want to make sure that the size wheels and tires work.

Sponsored

sd45t2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost; GT Hood w/ Turn Signals
I checked tire diameters and regardless of rim diameter, all Mustang models have tire diameters of 26 to 27.3 inches. Thus the speedometer should not be off very much. 1.5 tp 3 mph error should be about right.

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
i don't really care what brand tires i buy i just want to make sure that the size wheels and tires work.
Don't take tires lightly. I will cut corners with the cost of things here and there, but never on tires.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Hello guys/gals,

I am looking for some suggestions on wheel & tire sizes for a daily driver that wants a little extra performance out of their wheel & tire setup. Note** i am not tracking the car** I currently have eibach pro -kit lowering springs and wheel spaces both back and front (20mm)
I'd like to stay with a 20" wheel because the way they fill, but defiantly wiling to setup down to a 19" for bigger tires.
I picked those wheels because they are the Performance Replicas. i don't really care what brand tires i buy i just want to make sure that the size wheels and tires work.
First, make up your mind, do you want "a little extra performance"or not? If you do, the first place to spend your money is on tires. Nothing makes a bigger difference than better tires. A change in size won't make as big a difference as going with better tires. The second place to spend money is on wheels. Lighter is better, period. Knock a couple pounds off of each corner and you WILL feel it, even with the same tires. Add a couple pounds and you'll have a hard time getting that performance back, you'll need a much better tire just to break even.
Next, realize that going to a larger diameter wheel moves a large portion of the wheel's weight further from the center so that a wheel that weighs the same will have greater inertia. That inertia will be detrimental to acceleration, braking and handling. Think of the weight of your wheel and tire as a flywheel at each corner of the car but still directly connected to the drivetrain. In order to offset this you'll need to loose a few pounds per corner. I learned a long time ago that the best wheel diameter for performance is the smallest diameter that will clear the brakes.

OP
OP
capt_sneaky

capt_sneaky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
First, make up your mind, do you want "a little extra performance"or not? If you do, the first place to spend your money is on tires. Nothing makes a bigger difference than better tires. A change in size won't make as big a difference as going with better tires. The second place to spend money is on wheels. Lighter is better, period. Knock a couple pounds off of each corner and you WILL feel it, even with the same tires. Add a couple pounds and you'll have a hard time getting that performance back, you'll need a much better tire just to break even.
Next, realize that going to a larger diameter wheel moves a large portion of the wheel's weight further from the center so that a wheel that weighs the same will have greater inertia. That inertia will be detrimental to acceleration, braking and handling. Think of the weight of your wheel and tire as a flywheel at each corner of the car but still directly connected to the drivetrain. In order to offset this you'll need to loose a few pounds per corner. I learned a long time ago that the best wheel diameter for performance is the smallest diameter that will clear the brakes.
I apologize for the confusion. When i said " i don't really care about the tires" i meant that i don't care how much i spend. I am willing to spend money on tires my concern wasn't the tires at the moment it was the wheel but i did figure out what i would like to do

Velgen Vmb7 - Black
Front and Back : 20x9
Offset: 32
Backspacing: 6.3

with Michelin pilot sports.. i just have to figure out sizing on the tires.

Sponsored

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Glad to hear you've chosen a decent tire. Any idea what those wheels weigh? A quick search didn't turn up any vendors that list the weight. A couple did mention "low pressure cast" which usually isn't a good sign. Cast wheels generally offer the least strength and the most weight. If you're interested in performance, you may want to consider other options. I'm sure there's a similar wheel available that is flow formed at least.

Flimflamman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10 & 301A
Vehicle Showcase
I apologize for the confusion. When i said " i don't really care about the tires" i meant that i don't care how much i spend.
Ha ha... well we let you have it didn't we? :crackup: :beer:

OP
OP
capt_sneaky

capt_sneaky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
Ha ha... well we let you have it didn't we? :crackup: :beer:
I am glad you guys let me have it lol, now i know you guys will always have the best intentions. Cheers Bois :beer:

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
I apologize for the confusion. When i said " i don't really care about the tires" i meant that i don't care how much i spend. I am willing to spend money on tires my concern wasn't the tires at the moment it was the wheel but i did figure out what i would like to do

Velgen Vmb7 - Black
Front and Back : 20x9
Offset: 32
Backspacing: 6.3

with Michelin pilot sports.. i just have to figure out sizing on the tires.
I think that 20x9 are going to be very narrow. I recommend 20x10 or 10.5 all around if you want a square set up. The max tire you ca put on a 9 is 255 wider than that will look weird

OP
OP
capt_sneaky

capt_sneaky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
I think that 20x9 are going to be very narrow. I recommend 20x10 or 10.5 all around if you want a square set up. The max tire you ca put on a 9 is 255 wider than that will look weird
If i go with a 10.5 what size tire do you recommend that i put on them?
Sponsored