Sponsored

wheel sizes?

odspice14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 GrabberOrange
Any idea what size wheels will be used for the 2015 GT? Will the backspacing and bolt pattern be known ahead of time? Im hoping to be able to pick up mine with some Billet Specialties wheels already on it if possible
Sponsored

Vickstang

Any idea what size wheels will be used for the 2015 GT? Will the backspacing and bolt pattern be known ahead of time? Im hoping to be able to pick up mine with some Billet Specialties wheels already on it if possible
Judging by the wheels on the spied GT prototype, they will be staggered 19" wheels.

I doubt we'll know backspacing, offset, bolt pattern type of detailed info until the car is released... unless some supplier leaks the info.

Lavien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
I dont think those wheels are staggered. It only looks that way in a few of the photos but the straight on side view looks like same size wheels.

Looks kinda staggered here...

9008570625_003d6fa4db_o.jpg

But Looks same here to me.....

9008570885_af05c72dd9_o.jpg

:shrug:

If it is... could just be testing that configuration for some reason :confused:

crazyfastfreddy

If those are 19's I hope they come with 20's because those wheel wells look huge to me. You can tell in the rear the camo is even making it look smaller. I dont wanna know how big that gap is when they lift it up.

MustangDizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Lol @ people concerned about wheel sizes already.

Jumping the gun just a bit here maybe?

Sponsored

Mriley

What are we all doing here, if not jumping the gun? :confused:

For me, gimme the same wheels as current with a smaller body and I'll be happy. Those p-zeros on the prototype would be great.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
From the looks of it these are
255/40R-19 Pirelli PZero max performance, 19 x 9-in.

Hoping they have staggered option.
(need to fill a wee bit more)
(Boss 302: 285/35R-19 Pirelli PZero max, 19 x 9.5-in.)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Leave the tire sizes "square", and tune the suspension around that. Better to retain a tiny bit of understeer by reducing rear slip angles than by throwing away front grip.

Stagger the wheel widths a little if necessary for understeer budget reasons, but keep them out toward the "max recommended" widths for whatever tire size is chosen.

At the very least, make that the basis for a handling/track package.

FWIW, there isn't any technical reason to have wheels more than 4" bigger than the brake rotor diameter. Might only need 3.5" bigger if you're using rotors in half inch sizes. Otherwise, 20" and up is strictly appearance, which is fine as an option. But don't make the base wheel size that big.

Norm

MustangMarine

Leave the tire sizes "square", and tune the suspension around that. Better to retain a tiny bit of understeer by reducing rear slip angles than by throwing away front grip.

Norm
I agree that would be best approach. And would also save some owners a few bucks by being able to rotate to even out wear.

Whatever you do Ford, please don't give us this kind of square setup. Just a little bit of humor to offset the Mondays Blues... :D

Somms

Stagger the wheel widths a little if necessary for understeer budget reasons, but keep them out toward the "max recommended" widths for whatever tire size is chosen.

FWIW, there isn't any technical reason to have wheels more than 4" bigger than the brake rotor diameter. Might only need 3.5" bigger if you're using rotors in half inch sizes. Otherwise, 20" and up is strictly appearance, which is fine as an option. But don't make the base wheel size that big.

Norm
Yea agreed I think all base parts should be totally functional and let people decide what to change for appearance in the aftermarket. I don't really think we will need all that tire for this redesign too.

I think I remember someone else on here who also pointed out that the front rotors look to be the same 14" diameter while the rear ones look to be bigger than the current ones. Not sure but I wonder if that is any indication if they will be staggered.
2015mustangcolorscollage.jpg

Sponsored

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Norm
All of this, please. Especially that last part. Wheels keep getting bigger and bigger and all that rotational mass slows down the cars. Keep the stock size for a GT at 18" and let packages or options up them to 19-20". I also like the idea of same size tires for a stock car.

I went with different sized wheels/tires on my 95 and honestly I regret it. To add to it they're directional, so if I lose a tire I have to replace THAT tire. It's expensive and a pain.

Lavien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Yea staggered setups are a PITA.

I'm not holding my breath on bigger or wider tires. Not only does it slow down the cars like you said, but the rolling resistance will lead to lower MPG. If anything I can see the 4 banger coming with some kind of Eco-focused tires

OP
OP

odspice14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 GrabberOrange
Lol @ people concerned about wheel sizes already.

Jumping the gun just a bit here maybe?
Well since im going to getbthe exact same size wheel and put the stock rubber on it it makes sense to have the wheel ready to go instead of having to wait for the wheels to be made and shipped and have a few hundred miles on the tires already.

Personally I hope they go with an 18 and have a decent sidewall to fill the wheelwell instead of bigger wheel with less sidewall. To me it looks better plus keeps costs down on wheels and replacement tires.

I guess if im jumping the gun I might as well also say I have an appointment already for window tint the day I pick the car up

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
The GT will have 19x8 and 19x9 sizes as the bulk of the options. The track package should go up to 20" wheels. Now before you all jump me about this, hear me out. 20" tires vs. 19" in terms of price are cheaper. Even though we see them more now, the 19" sizes are a bit more rare, and tire replacments cost more.

I don't want to see 19"F/20"R on the car. I'd much rather have a 19x9F/19x9.5R setup instead.

Vickstang

The GT will have 19x8 and 19x9 sizes as the bulk of the options. The track package should go up to 20" wheels. Now before you all jump me about this, hear me out. 20" tires vs. 19" in terms of price are cheaper. Even though we see them more now, the 19" sizes are a bit more rare, and tire replacments cost more.

I don't want to see 19"F/20"R on the car. I'd much rather have a 19x9F/19x9.5R setup instead.
20's ugh. Just too big for a true performance car. And with the s550 rumored to be smaller and lighter than the current model, 20's are going to be even more overkill IMO.

I miss the days when cars were just smaller and 18" was the biggest factory size offered.
Sponsored