Sponsored

wheel sizes?

Vickstang

Well since im going to getbthe exact same size wheel and put the stock rubber on it it makes sense to have the wheel ready to go instead of having to wait for the wheels to be made and shipped and have a few hundred miles on the tires already.

Personally I hope they go with an 18 and have a decent sidewall to fill the wheelwell instead of bigger wheel with less sidewall. To me it looks better plus keeps costs down on wheels and replacement tires.

I guess if im jumping the gun I might as well also say I have an appointment already for window tint the day I pick the car up
Nothing wrong shopping for mods before getting a car. I been guilty of collecting mods while waiting for my ordered car to arrive :D
Sponsored

tuning101

20's ugh. Just too big for a true performance car. And with the s550 rumored to be smaller and lighter than the current model, 20's are going to be even more overkill IMO.

I miss the days when cars were just smaller and 18" was the biggest factory size offered.
If you are talking performance, you are talking about racing. It's simple - the lightest weight and smallest frontal area. Personally I think anything over 18's are a waste for racing. Purely aesthetic. The widest and lightest wheels are the best way to go. If 17's worked, I wouldn't go any bigger. Far as I'm concerned there really isn't any reason to go with wheels bigger than what will clear your brakes if we're talking pure performance. That, and rims and tires are more expensive the larger you go.

OKCfan

If you are talking performance, you are talking about racing. It's simple - the lightest weight and smallest frontal area. Personally I think anything over 18's are a waste for racing. Purely aesthetic. The widest and lightest wheels are the best way to go. If 17's worked, I wouldn't go any bigger. Far as I'm concerned there really isn't any reason to go with wheels bigger than what will clear your brakes if we're talking pure performance. That, and rims and tires are more expensive the larger you go.
Glad to see so many performance oriented guys here. Hate when I see a 'performance' car get big heavy blinged out wheels from the factory or when owners slap them on in the aftermarket. Camaros seem to have this issue. 21" wheels offered from factory :thumbdown: And the things done to it in the aftermarket is just ridiculous.

J.Darcy

Ever since the new Camaro came out it always gave me the impression that its more style than substance. So many celebrities and pro athletes picked one up to slam on huge wheels, wrap in matte color vinyl and bling it out.

I like that the Mustang never had that image but is the everyman's pony/muscle car and is more about substance than style.

Sponsored

OP
OP

odspice14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 GrabberOrange
Nothing wrong shopping for mods before getting a car. I beene/guilty of collecting mods while waiting for my ordered car to arrive :D
Yeah plus the sooner I know the size the sooner I can get a price from where I am purchasing them.

Here are the wheels I am thinking of. Just need to decide between polished or gray http://www.billetspecialties.com/wheels/vintage-series/vintageseries/bonneville/

I like the classic hot rod style of them and think they will fit in well with the Mustang. Holefully the 19inch wheel is an easily changeable option and I can order a gt with 18s or 20s

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ever since the new Camaro came out it always gave me the impression that its more style than substance.
My impression as well, at least up to the ZL1 and 1LE where there was more substance. Maybe more so in the 1LE, where the rear tires are stretched out to the max recommended wheel width for performance/handling behavior reasons - and at some aesthetic cost if you're tied to a more "conventional" wheel-tire appearance. Pretty bold if you ask me.

I never noticed the celebrity/athlete factor surrounding the Camaro, but probably wouldn't have even if I'd been actively looking for a Camaro either. Transformer movie . . . meh, never seen it. Never even paid much attention to who was buying Mustangs back in 2007 either, other than to notice that Sam Strano had switched to the Mustang from the Camaros he'd previously run and was cleaning up at autocross in it.

Norm

MustangMarine

My impression as well, at least up to the ZL1 and 1LE where there was more substance. Maybe more so in the 1LE, where the rear tires are stretched out to the max recommended wheel width for performance/handling behavior reasons - and at some aesthetic cost if you're tied to a more "conventional" wheel-tire appearance. Pretty bold if you ask me.

I never noticed the celebrity/athlete factor surrounding the Camaro, but probably wouldn't have even if I'd been actively looking for a Camaro either. Transformer movie . . . meh, never seen it. Never even paid much attention to who was buying Mustangs back in 2007 either, other than to notice that Sam Strano had switched to the Mustang from the Camaros he'd previously run and was cleaning up at autocross in it.

Norm
Yea I give respect to the ZL1 and 1LE, but not so much to the regular models before them.

And about the Camaro being a overhyped marketing car that's no surprise since it's been featured in all those Transformers movies. No wonder the celebrities and athletes flocked to it. Gives the Camaro a bad image and reputation IMO. Here's some of them.

Lebron James' camaro

David Beckham camaro

Anderson Silva's

Ric Flair

attachment.jpg

Brad Pitt

Brad-Pitt-Pilotting-the-New-Camaro-SS.jpg

And most of those are blinged out to all hell with crazy big wheels. Not exactly enthusiast looking cars. :thumbdown:

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
My guess:
17"-20" sizes
8"-10.5" widths

Staggered setups on the more performance oriented versions or packages.

Sponsored

OKCfan

Yeah plus the sooner I know the size the sooner I can get a price from where I am purchasing them.

Here are the wheels I am thinking of. Just need to decide between polished or gray http://www.billetspecialties.com/wheels/vintage-series/vintageseries/bonneville/

I like the classic hot rod style of them and think they will fit in well with the Mustang. Holefully the 19inch wheel is an easily changeable option and I can order a gt with 18s or 20s
Those are nice. :thumbsup: But what if the car turns out ultra modern and progressive design? May not match well with that style?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
My guess:
17"-20" sizes
8"-10.5" widths

Not to be argumentative, but staggering tire sizes is for drag racers and appearance-oriented folks (I have no problem with that, provided that a non-staggered arrangement is also offered).

No intelligent autocrosser or track day enthusiast is ever going to want less front tire grip on the heavy end of a front engine car. An exception is probably justified specifically for forced induction cars (that by their very nature are less balanced between power and handling than normally aspirated engine cars).

Norm

OP
OP

odspice14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 GrabberOrange
Those are nice. :thumbsup: But what if the car turns out ultra modern and progressive design? May not match well with that style?

That is a concern. However with the artwork on here that I have seen I havent seen too many versions that I think those would look out of place on. So unless Ford has something even more radical under those covers I think ill be safe. Luckily I think I will see what the car looks like before I see what sizes the wheels will be so then if they wont look good I can just find another style that will. Hopefully I can get a mix of Mustang and traditional Hot Rod flavor for my Mustang. I have been toying with making the car a tribute of sorts to my favorite Hot Rods which are the Eliminator Coupe from Billy Gibbons. Thinking about doing stripes down the hood and roof that match the graphics desgin on the side of that car only probably doing it in monotone colors. Or the California Kid and having the flames on the car. More than likely it will just end up being a stock factory color and left alone

GTsquid

Not a fan of the flames unless it's an old school hot rod. It looks super tacky on more modern looking cars IMO.

:thumbdown::thumbdown:

The Eliminator Coupe graphics would be cool tho.

GTsquid

My guess:
17"-20" sizes
8"-10.5" widths

That's a pretty wide spread. If that's the spread then it would be 17" stock for the 4-cyl, 18" V6, 19" for the V8's with 20's upgrade? Those would be some pretty big stock wheels on what may be a lower, sleeker stang.
Sponsored