Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver Cyclone 051a 3.55
@Nitrousfedlx
Just wondering if u have aftermarket wheels?
OEM, those are the Gorillas on my wheels . If you have aftermarket, they will help you find the right fitment. Not sure if the ones I linked to are the right ones, and they have black as well.

20210611_165824.jpg
Sponsored

Nitrousfedlx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt pp/ 2015 Ford Escape
@Nitrousfedlx
OEM, those are the Gorillas on my wheels . If you have aftermarket, they will help you find the right fitment. Not sure if the ones I linked to are the right ones, and they have black as well.

20210611_165824.jpg
The ones u linked specifically say not for oem. That's what I was talking about in post 13. Someone had a thread similar to this a while back and it was a topic of discussion because people were putting those gorilla lug nuts on oem wheels.

TeamGomez

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.centripetalsolutions.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'18 350, 996 GT-3, 330 ZHP, E46 M3, SQ5, Tundra
Manual says you must retorque after driving. Orig nuts are 2 piece and get ruined by gorillas with a gorilla gun. Youā€™ll know it when the socket gets stuck on the nuts (or nuts stuck in the socket but that just doesnā€™t sound right).

I swapped out for Gorilla Nutz and no problemos.

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
The ones u linked specifically say not for oem. That's what I was talking about in post 13. Someone had a thread similar to this a while back and it was a topic of discussion because people were putting those gorilla lug nuts on oem wheels.
My bad! I just glanced at the link, should've made sure it was the right one. The Gorillas on mine are definitely for OEM, and as far as I know, they still do make them. There sure is a market. Not that it means much, but the Ford Techs who service my car liked em enough to recommend them to others.
These are the direct replacement (if I read it right.) Gorilla 90048 Mustang Acorn Lug Nuts Bulged Set 2015-2024 (cjponyparts.com)

Last edited:

Kabayo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT
Iā€™m lucky. I have OEM stupid lug nuts on my 23 GT; apparently they donā€™t know because theyā€™re on a GT, theyā€™re supposed to fall off. šŸ˜
I donā€™t think thereā€™s any truth to it. The lug nuts on the GT are probably the same ones used on the V6 or the 4 cyl given the same size wheels. 2c

Sponsored

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m lucky. I have OEM stupid lug nuts on my 23 GT; apparently they donā€™t know because theyā€™re on a GT, theyā€™re supposed to fall off. šŸ˜
:wink:If they are the same OEM 2 pc ones that were put on earlier S550s, give 'em time, lol. If they don't fall off, they'll need to be cut off. Mine were fine with monthly car washes and twice-yearly tire rotation for the first 3 years, then the inner nut swelled, and outer casing separated. That can also prevent them from being tightened properly. Hopefully you're in good shape- maybe Ford has put different ones on late models. Have fun and google 'Ford lug nut issues'. It's not just Mustangs.

TonyT930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible in Ruby Red
No way the lugs came loose if properly torqued to the correct 150 ft/lbs. This is so sad that people try to argue otherwise based on their "experience." Ensure all lugs are torqued to 150 and if they still come loose you've got another problem :like:
Do you torque the lug nuts that high with aluminum wheels?

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
I have not heard of this issue at all. Torque spec is 150lbs. I would think it would be hard to over tighten, but I guess it is possible.
I would imagine one could over-torque the nuts but I don't see how over-tightening them would cause them to get loose. If the stud broke and the nut fell off yes, but not just unscrewing itself if it's over-torqued.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
:wink:If they are the same OEM 2 pc ones that were put on earlier S550s, give 'em time, lol. If they don't fall off, they'll need to be cut off. Mine were fine with monthly car washes and twice-yearly tire rotation for the first 3 years, then the inner nut swelled, and outer casing separated. That can also prevent them from being tightened properly. Hopefully you're in good shape- maybe Ford has put different ones on late models. Have fun and google 'Ford lug nut issues'. It's not just Mustangs.
That's the first thing I did when I bought mine. When I realized those nuts were the 2 piece kind with the thin metal cap over them to form the "acorn", I ordered a set of one-piece solid acorn nuts. I had enough stress before I retired trying to remove those thin caps that would just spin over the nut when they got worn. Had to resort to cutting them off and then using a smaller socket to fit the actual steel nut underneath. I saw them first on Chrysler products, then all the other domestics followed suit.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Do you torque the lug nuts that high with aluminum wheels?
If you get wheels that specifically say to torque to a different spec or studs that say otherwise always torque to 150 ft/lbs :like: Generally most manufacturers design their wheels to use the same specs as the factory parts!

Sponsored

TonyT930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible in Ruby Red
If you get wheels that specifically say to torque to a different spec or studs that say otherwise always torque to 150 ft/lbs :like: Generally most manufacturers design their wheels to use the same specs as the factory parts!
Ok, I didn't know that. I've always torqued aluminum wheels to 105 ft lbs and I've never had a problem. And after I drive with them for the first time, I go back and retorque them.

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Ok, I didn't know that. I've always torqued aluminum wheels to 105 ft lbs and I've never had a problem. And after I drive with them for the first time, I go back and retorque them.
Just because you've never had a problem doesn't mean something isn't happening. I'd suggest contacting your wheel manufacturer to see what torque spec they require! Unless you changed the studs I would be its the stock 150 ft/lbs :)
Sponsored