Whats your thought on side scoops?

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Not sure if you caught the response, but they're for rear brake venting, so they're 100% functional. That's the only way I think they look good either - if you KNOW they actually serve not just any old purpose, but a PERFORMANCE purpose. That's what makes them worthwhile to change the lines of the car. Otherwise they're cosmetic, and by themselves push the car the wrong direction IMHO.
I don't claim to be a Shelby expert, but from what I recall, the early '67s had a functional side scoop, but by functional, all it did was blow some air on the tires (it is not clear if they provided any meaningful brake cooling). By mid '67 and for '68 they were cosmetic only.
Sponsored

OP
OP

speedknot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT 6spd, 2019 GT PP1 A10
I think they are a tribute to the "old days" of mustangs. I don't particularly like them on the new modern S550's. Some things are best left for certain eras. The fake plastic fox lamps on the front fascia of the new Mach I is another example. Either put in functional fog lamps or leave that out.
Those aren’t knockouts for fog lights? I figured Ford would’ve kept that as an option if you wanted to put them in at a later date.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Those aren’t knockouts for fog lights? I figured Ford would’ve kept that as an option if you wanted to put them in at a later date.
my understanding is no. I thought there might be some type of after market install for that area, but haven't seen any. Ever since the 2018 refresh of the S550 GT the designers have just gotten it wrong (in my opinion). The front fascia of the GT was a step backward and the design of the Mach I just did not capture enough of the original. Just don't understand what they were trying to accomplish with that hood vinyl design as well.
I think the Shelby American front fascia for the S550's is much better.

tjwreds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach1
I think they look cool, however I know that all they do functionally is add aerodynamic drag. Pass.

usdmnotjdm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, A10, 401A, Magneride, ActivEx
Opinions are like assholes. Asshole here, I think they look like what they are. Pieces of plastic slapped on with double sided tape.

I’m new to Mustangs and have had Japanese or European cars historically so maybe this is cool to people. I think they’re fantastic on the 60s Mustangs (and functional?)

Bonus: the new Supra has no less than 10 fake vents. But they’re all ready for people to cut out. The engineers expected people would.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
If Roush or other made a kit that had them connect to a rear brake cooling duct. then I could dig it.
We all like different things, If you like the look, go for it.
I've been try'n to find a 69 hood scoop to drop on the 2020 to see if it look good or stupid. For that little extra retro touch. Knowing it never be feeding the engine air.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Awesome if functional, silly if not...........

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Opinions are like assholes. Asshole here, I think they look like what they are. Pieces of plastic slapped on with double sided tape.

I’m new to Mustangs and have had Japanese or European cars historically so maybe this is cool to people. I think they’re fantastic on the 60s Mustangs (and functional?)

Bonus: the new Supra has no less than 10 fake vents. But they’re all ready for people to cut own. The engineers expected people would.
Yup...... Silly if not functional. My Bullitt has two, the lower outside in the front facia, would love to open these up on principle then

I was EXTREMELY disappointed with the faux vents all over the Supra, one of the reasons (to include terrible buffeting, poor gauge displays, lack of cargo space and...... rear seat.) I passed on it and went for a Mustang (still in shock) I looked into some of the 'real vent' options and didn't want to drill holes in sheet metal.

usdmnotjdm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
I think the Shelby American front fascia for the S550's is much better.
I haven’t heard of this. I tried to do a Google search. Can you provide some pictures or a link? Thanks!

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
No thanks but I don’t mind the covers on the quarter window since they are useless anyways.

07S281E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saleen S281E, 2020 Shelby GT 350
Some people buy Mustangs to collect and go to car shows. In that case a nonfunctional scoop or vent may give the owner the look they are going for. If you are buying a mustang for the performance, a nonfunctional add on, does not make sense.

usdmnotjdm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Here you go... if I had unlimited cash I would own one of these for sure.. Saw one the other day.. they are sharp..

https://www.shelby.com/Vehicles/Shelby-Super-Snake-2021
Ahh! I have seen those and I agree they are sick. I thought you were alluding to the existence of a Shelby America front bumper that would fit on a 2018 Mustang GT. Needless to say I peeked up. I immediately went to their website.

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
Hard pass.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Ahh! I have seen those and I agree they are sick. I thought you were alluding to the existence of a Shelby America front bumper that would fit on a 2018 Mustang GT. Needless to say I peeked up. I immediately went to their website.
It's a shame that they are not priced better. I think what they are offering is not worth the 100k. But you are paying for the shelby name per se...
Sponsored