What's Up With This?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Topics (non 6th Gen Mustang)' started by Anthony 05 GT, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Anthony 05 GT

Anthony 05 GT Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
    Mechanic
    0   0   0
    Someone told me he heard it's probable that Ford will be merging with GM. I got home yesterday and did a bing search, apparently Ford is in big trouble, GM is flat and it looks like it is probable from the articles

https://247wallst.com/autos/2019/05/28/gm-merger-with-ford-looks-more-likely/

http://fordauthority.com/2019/05/a-ford-and-gm-merger-is-a-possibility/

https://www.fenderbender.com/articles/12833-gm-merger-with-ford-looks-likely

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-n...t-gm-announces-merger-with-ford-ar185086.html

2. DANA44

DANA44 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 v6 convertible
    0   0   0
    Possible not probable, the idea has been popping up for decades.
    When Chrysler is part of the discussion as a working example think who will own Jeep and Ram next,

jacknifetoaswan likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Anthony 05 GT

Vehicle(s):
    Mechanic
    0   0   0
    The word ''likely'' was used repeatedly. In my opinion that leans more to probable than possible. The one article states the annoncement has been put off for several months.

4. Interceptor

Interceptor Daily Driver

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Eco boost manual 202A
    0   0   0
    Biggest thing I got out of it, GM using Ford engine in new Corvette?
    Me not biting right now

5. Ecoboosted

Ecoboosted Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide, 06' F-150, 18' G4
    0   0   0
    Sad if true

6. Ghost50

Ghost50 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
    0   0   0
    I sure hope not.

7. Stangfan6818

Stangfan6818 Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    1968 GT/CS and 2018 GT Premium Fastback
    0   0   0
    It's an "opinion" article. Just someone dreaming up stuff. Don't worry about it!

jacknifetoaswan and Smokey613 like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Anthony 05 GT

Vehicle(s):
    Mechanic
    0   0   0
    It's not ''an article'', there's some serious meat in all of the articles. I guess we will see, I personally don't think it would be a terrible thing for them both to survive globally as one to compete against VW and Toyota. Ford has proven to the world they make some of the best engines in existence in mass production. GM has their huge performers and to team up could result in a great auto company. I just would have a hard time seeing no more Ford/GM competition.

9. UserName

UserName Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT
    0   0   0
    And maybe this is why Ford cancelled so many cars.

10. Elvis66

Elvis66 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    They are both already sharing the new A10 transmission.

11. svt93style

svt93style Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle(s):
    Slow
    0   0   0
    Strange.
    I am an active trader and hadn't heard a peep about this.
    In fact the opposite. I heard with Ford doing extensive international
    restructuring has put them in a good position, as has cutting back on
    the product line. 3-6 month chart looks good.

12. Mikthehun1

Mikthehun1 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mik
    Vehicle(s):
    19 GT a10
    Photography
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    Don't be bringing reason and intelligence into this thread. We want wild speculation and doomsday predictions! The end is nigh! No more V8s by 2021! Fun to be outlawed by most global governments!

Twizzty, svt93style, RugbyRef and 9 others like this.
  13. w3rkn

w3rkn Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    bmw 135is(sold)
    0   0   0
    Please don't post fake news here. Some hedge fund manager's speculation and how to make CEO's more money, is just him wishing to control it all.... nothing more. Ford is doing better on the world stage much better than 90% of the other manufacturers.

Again, don't post crap like that here. Try the rumor section.

jacknifetoaswan and Mikthehun1 like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Anthony 05 GT

Vehicle(s):
    Mechanic
    0   0   0
    My OP question was What's up with this? I don't post fake news and for you to question my motives is ridiculous. I saw these articles and simply shared it with you guys. If it is true I suppose you will eat crow? I don't want to see this happen, but if that's what it takes to strengthen the American auto industry so be it.

A couple of the articles state the opposite saying that Ford is in bad shape currently.

15. Tseg

Tseg Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
    0   0   0
    Our opinion is the article that was the impetus of the other articles is flawed. F-150 only Ford bright spot? Last I checked the Mustang was also the #1 selling vehicle in its class globally and the #1 selling convertible globally. It’s easy to cherry pick facts to craft one”s own narrative.

In summary, interesting opinion, but most of us are not buying it. What if the author wrote, “The fact that Renault and Fiat could not make their merger work does not bode well for other rumored mergers...”. Next thing you know it becomes “likely” a merger won’t happen.

raasnio likes this.
  16. Ebm

Ebm Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Guy
    Vehicle(s):
    '14 GT
    0   0   0
    You have a better chance of Fiat making a dependable vehicle than Ford and GM merging. But to be honest, both chances are slim to hell no.

Mikthehun1 likes this.
  17. jacknifetoaswan

jacknifetoaswan Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
    0   0   0
    They've been co-developing and sharing transmissions for at least two decades. This is nothing new.

JR

18. Silver Bullitt

Silver Bullitt Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT Coupe PP2
    0   0   0
    As Joe Biden would say, "One word: NO WAY!"

Did anyone notice the earliest date of those four articles was April 1, 2019?

Mikthehun1 and Timeless like this.
  19. ALLSTOCK

ALLSTOCK Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
    0   0   0
    why are you using bing search though?

Ebm, Adf020 and YoloBathsalts like this.
  20. Elvis66

Elvis66 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    The Ford-GM merger won’t be officially announced for another few months with our source indicating that the announcement could come as soon as June 2019. As such, our source has chosen to remain anonymous out of fear of consequences but has assured us that every bit of what we’ve been told is indeed true. The merger all began back when Ford started collaborating with GM for the 10-speed automatic transmission that’s now found in both the Ford Mustang and Chevy Camaro, a “partnership” that dates back to 2013. Apparently, this partnership became a love affair that has been kept secret all this time but will ultimately result in the two companies becoming one. Since the two companies understand the drama that will be created among dedicated fans of both brands, they have agreed to ease into things, if you will. As such, the merger will start with electric versions of the Ford F-Series and the Chevy Silverado. As the year goes on, GM will copy Ford’s move to remove most cars from its lineup, with the exception of the Chevy Camaro and Chevy Corvette. By 2019, both Chevy and Ford will only offer sports coupes, trucks, and SUVs.

not-sure-how-to-proc-1_400x266w.jpg
    Will it be a Ford Corvette or a Chevy GT?
    not-sure-how-to-proc-3_400x266w.jpg
    While I’m sure this is already a huge blow to your psyche, regardless of which brand you claim loyalty to, things actually get even crazier. With the 2020 Chevy C8 Corvette experiencing so many problems, Ford has been helping the brand solve all of its issues. As it turns out, all of the complicated problems aren’t of GM’s engineering, but the fact that the mid-engined C8 Corvette will actually be powered by the same mill that powers the new Ford GT. So, the 2020 Chevy Corvette won’t feature that twin-turbo V-8 with 800 horsepower after all. Instead, it’ll feature Ford’s new 3.5-liter, EcoBoost, V-6, and it will be tuned to deliver 775 horsepower, a mild bump over the current supercharged, 6.2-liter, LT5, V-8 found under the hood of the current Corvette ZR1. Now, if this wasn’t enough to make you stroke out, the next-gen Ford GT will actually feature a similar setup as Ford is planning to use a lot of Chevy’s engineering to help save time in the creation of the new GT, which we’ve now been told will actually make its debut in 2021, just five years after the current GT hit the market and one year after the new mid-engined Vette will make its debut. Since both cars will no longer compete with each other directly, both the Ford GT and C8 Corvette will feature the same exact performance figures. To make this transition easy, both models will feature battery-hybrid technology with the electric motors tuned specifically to even out the performance of both models.

The Long-Term Effects of the Ford-GM Merger
    It’s going to be a busy couple of years, but by 2022, the two brands will effectively become one. As we’ve been told, the two companies want to soften the blow among their respective enthusiasts, so the two companies will take things slow for now. As a new generation of each model rolls out, the two companies will collaborate on each and every one. Our source has indicated that the two companies have projected that this merger will help strengthen their hold on the automotive market and will, eventually, lead to growth for both brands. One of the only things left to figure out is what the two companies will do with their existing logos. Once the merger is complete, we could start seeing “FGM” badges everywhere, or the Ford and Chevy badges could live on, even though they will ultimately be built by the same company – a move similar to what VAG does with its conglomerate of companies. Finally, we have to let you know that this entire article has been complete bullshit. April Fools!

Shadow17 likes this.