Sponsored

What's so Special about a California???????

ddeluce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT California Special with Power Pack 1
For those that are interested in the history of the GT/CS there is an article on Ford Performance's website about it. The article is written by Paul Newitt who has literally written the book on GT/CS history. You can find the story here:

GT/CS Retrospective

Paul is a member of World Wide California Special Club on Facebook and posts there from time to time.

In short, the 1968 GT/CS design was based Shelby's "Little Red" experimental 1967 coupe. It was built at Ford's San Jose, CA plant, and was available only to California Ford dealers. A total of 4118 were built.

Sponsored

NotQuiteAverageJoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
When I went looking for my car I was looking for a fastback premium and was up in the air about manual or auto. My biggest issue was that Mustangs are everywhere (at least 5-6 including 2 PP1 in my neighborhood. After driving manual (which was fun) and a regular AT I saw the CS and was sold. The looks stand out (I've been asked many times in 6 months of ownership what the CS is. I love the drop top to cruise around in SC weather. I can mod the car to my hearts content. And I don't think there's much more fun than driving a car that is just different enough to make heads turn a little differently than a normal or PP car (most people don't even know how to tell the difference) but still goes 0-60 in 4.5-4.8 (from my testing) can be heard from at least a 1/2 mile away when it wants to be, is open and inviting to the sun (drop top) and even with top down @ 70 miles an hour I can have a conversation with my wife.

BTW in case you missed it Performance Upgrades:
Strut tower brace
19"x 8.5" Machined-Faced Aluminum with Ebony Black Painted Pocket Wheels (stock is 18*8)
Performance Package Front Spoiler
Pedestal Rear Spoiler (not sure if this is really a performance mod as it hasn't really raced)

All other mods are purely cosmetic but for 2k extra it packs a lot of value and has a little bit for everyone.

If you don't like the looks of the car that is your opinion, but don't hate on others because they think it looks good.
If you won't buy it simply because of the name California then SMH because you have some personal issues you need to deal with.

Last edited:

Mikesc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
When I went looking for my car I was looking for a fastback premium and was up in the air about manual or auto. My biggest issue was that Mustangs are everywhere (at least 5-6 including 2 PP1 in my neighborhood. After driving manual (which was fun) and a regular AT I saw the CS and was sold. The looks stand out (I've been asked many times in 6 months of ownership what the CS is. I love the drop top to cruise around in SC weather. I can mod the car to my hearts content. And I don't think there's much more fun than driving a car that is just different enough to make heads turn a little differently than a normal or PP car (most people don't even know how to tell the difference) but still goes 0-60 in 4.5-4.8 (from my testing) can be heard from at least a 1/2 mile away when it wants to be, is open and inviting to the sun (drop top) and even with top down @ 70 miles an hour I can have a conversation with my wife.

Strut tower brace
19"x 8.5" Machined-Faced Aluminum with Ebony Black Painted Pocket Wheels (stock is 18*8)
Pedestal Rear Spoiler (not sure if this is really a performance mod as it hasn't really raced)

All other mods are purely cosmetic but for 2k extra it packs a lot of value and has a little bit for everyone.

If you don't like the looks of the car that is your opinion, but don't hate on others because they think it looks good.
If you won't buy it simply because of the name California then SMH because you have some personal issues you need to deal with.
You can also expect to get that 2k back when you sell the GT/CS

BEERCHAMP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS

Strut tower brace

I think the best part of the GT/CS is the INTERIOR! best looking of any GT and the Heated/COOL seats are EXCELLENT!

NotQuiteAverageJoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
I think the best part of the GT/CS is the INTERIOR! best looking of any GT and the Heated/COOL seats are EXCELLENT!
Agreed, I also think the wing/rims, and special detailing, while maybe not the best you can buy in the aftermarket set the car off in a special way. The cooled seats in a convertible in 90 degree weather rock. There is not a day that goes but that I don't walk into my garage and think to myself that is one beautiful car. And driving around I rarely see a car I would trade mine for. (A Mclaren and couple of local Gt 350's are the only ones I see on a consistent basis.

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.blueearlbrewing.com
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium California Special
Vehicle Showcase
The interior sold me more than anything - and the California special stripe and script. The fake side scoops will probably be removed at some point and I definitely want 285 front and 305 rear tires so the wheels will be changed out.

I’m glad there are so many ways to make these cars your own vision.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The interior sold me more than anything - and the California special stripe and script. The fake side scoops will probably be removed at some point and I definitely want 285 front and 305 rear tires so the wheels will be changed out.

I’m glad there are so many ways to make these cars your own vision.
Just in case you are not a member yet.......

https://www.facebook.com/groups/902428730145713

California Special Worldwide Mustang Club
Private group
2.4K members

Baldilocks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.blueearlbrewing.com
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)