What to buy: GT Prem. PP or C6 Z06

Keyser_Soze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350 in VB, '13 F150
Being that you live in Texas, with no cold weather and a lot of flat road, you are 100% fine 'daily driving' the C6. Especially since you have a second car to drive if needed. With regards to C6 Z06 VS C7 Base, I'd say C6, unless you seriously like the looks of the C7 and the interiors refinement. The C6 is such a torque monster, and handles beautifully. If you didn't have any other car, I'd say the C6 is out of the question because of the obvious reasons, but a prius + Z06 combo is actually incredible :D

If you're craving speed and handling, a z06 would satisfy much much more then anything else.
It ices in Dallas/Prosper fairly often in the winter, but I generally agree.

DD - GTPP (38k) or C7 LT2 w/ no Z51 (around 53k invoice?). Comparing apples and golden apples.

Or keep the Prius and get your Z06, but it wouldn't be a great DD.
Sponsored

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium, Black/Saddle.
Being you live in Texas and don't need a backseat, I'd go with the Z06. Used C6 Z06's are probably the best performance bang for the buck you can get right now. Especially when you add in the fact that most are very well cared for and have very low mileage. I'd buy one from the corvette forum from a reputable member. You'll have a very good chance of knowing the cars history and getting a great car. Oh, and I'd look for one with the "valve train fix."

Cons against the Vette: Will likely be out of warranty and the interior is not as nice as the new mustangs interior. Less tech too.

If you don't mind those cons go with the Vette. It's basically a supercar for $40k-$50k. They are very daily driveable too and get good gas mileage on the highway. I had a C5 Z06, and it was perfectly fine as a DD. It wasn't until after I heavily modified it including an HD clutch that it started to become a bit of a pain in traffic. Stock though it's perfectly easy to drive, and the C6 Z06's are even more refined than the C5's.

Watch the video on youtube of SubaruWRXfan's review of a C6 Z06. He talks about how easy it is to drive. They are definitely a beast, but that's all dependent on how much throttle you apply.

With regards to looks, that's of course subjective, but I think the C6Z's still look awesome. Gorgeous bad-ass looking car. C7's are nice too and I know most prefer them, but in certain ways I think the C6Z looks better. Looks lower and beefier. Love the flared rear fenders and steam roller tires. Now the C7Z, that's even better!

TeddysStang

1st time Stang owner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
CarolinaCarConnections.info
First Name
Teddy
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Premium GT - 20" wheels
Before I got the stang, I also thought about getting a used 2010 C6 GrandSport. Mostly because I didn't like the all black taillight section of the 2014, in daytime, and the solid rear axle. But once the 2015 came out with a better interior, exterior and IRS, I changed my mind. I rented a C6 convert in Fla, while on vacation, and it was cool and very fast, but also very cramped, especially for a 6ft2 big guy and the interior wasn't much to fancy after. I have never driven the C7, but I couldn't afford one anyway. I think the GT is a good value for what you get. 90% of the C7 performance for about 50% of the price. Also more comfortable, space wise. Take the price diff and mod the mustang if you want the performance equality.

anotherneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' base GT w/3.55s
I would never buy a used sports car. With that said said the Mustang is outclassed when it comes to the c7.

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would never buy a used sports car.
I know a lot of people think that way, but I disagree. It's all relative, but generally speaking most people who own sports cars are enthusiasts, which means they will take better care of the car then your average person in your average car.

My current Mustang is the first brand new car I ever bought. The 20+ years before that I have always purchased used sports cars and never had a problem.

My preference is to buy them only a few years old and with low mileage off of forums. You can usually tell the ones that are solid buys. I usually feel 100% confident based on the member, how they wrote the ad, the pictures they posted, how they were to speak with, etc., etc. My Z06 was purchased off of the corvette forum from a gentleman in Georgia, sight unseen, and it was perfect. I sold the same car on the same forum to a gentleman in Texas. He also purchased from me sight unseen, and as I know, the car was perfectly as described and as the pictures showed it to be.

With car enthusiast forums, members can write as big and detailed of a description as they want, and with today's picture quality, can post many clear images of the car inside and out. Plus you have the members history to check on if you aren't already familiar with them. Totally different then buying off a dealer ad that basically only list the year model and mileage and you have no idea about the cars history.

Sponsored

OP
OP

djeayzonne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 prius, 2010 ford escape
You're going to find depreciation with any car. if it gets you around for 2-3 years and you can break even or make some cash when you trade up... It's a win.

Unless you're okay with driving your current car for those 2-3 years. Then youll just save money all together .
Yeah, I might be able to do that if my car were anything BUT a Prius!

Having said that, I really want the next car to be one that I keep for a while. I have a set of very, very nice speakers and Zapco amp with built-in DSP functionality like the MS-8 that was supposed to go into the RX-8 and then the Prius, but I quickly realized I wouldn't keep either car very long....

OP
OP

djeayzonne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 prius, 2010 ford escape
Thanks for all the great replies!

Yes, I definitely need to test drive some Corvettes. I will probably pass on the Z06 for now. I might get a Grand Sport C6 or just be patient a little longer and order a 2016 C7 if I decide to go the Corvette route.

As far as maintenance costs and regarding DD usage, I understand the Corvette will be more, but like I said, my car wouldn't really be a DD per se. I'm really quite a hermit and don't like to go out for social engagements too much. I do enjoy driving a fun car just to drive though. I don't have to drive to meet clients or anything like that. I really only fill up the Prius once every 4-6 weeks.

So with that in mind, I don't really know if the Mustang really has the advantage from that perspective. I already check insurance as well between a new GT and a C7 and it is like 50 dollars more per 6 months for the vette.

I am barely above midget status at 5'8" @ 140 pounds, but I am a little concerned about the comfort of the seat specifically as I am still recovering from a herniated disk.
Initial impression of the GT Prem. non-Recaro seat was that it was very comfortable. The 2LT C7 seat seemed just a little thin or hard regarding the padding, but I only sat in it and didn't drive it.

I will check out that video, and just wait until the weather improves before trying to some more test drives. If I have to rent a C7 to get a test drive, then I'll do that too.

Oh, regarding 90% performance for 50% the cost. I totally agree! This is why I thought my decision was already made. If just straight-line performance, the GT is plenty. However, I want the power and handling like my old RX-8. If the GT also has 90% the handling of a C7, then I might forget about the vette. That seems unlikely though, given its dimensions.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
C6 Z06 is the best Vette of the C6 generation IMO. I prefer it to the ZR1.

However, the C7 Z51 gives you almost all the performance, with a better chassis, better balance and handling (not as much ultimate grip, but better finesse), and a much better interior. It won't be as fast as the Z06, and it won't have the same cachet, because it isn't the "special edition" the way the Z06 was, but it is, IMO, a better overall car.

The Mustang won't be nearly as sporty as the Vettes are. The Mustang is taller, heavier, less powerful, more front heavy, etc. But they are still fun cars.

For me, the rear seats are important enough that I will be getting a GT350 rather than a C7 Vette, but I do love the Vette. I'm not sure the "regular" GT will have 90% of the handling of the Vette stock, but with some shocks and springs it might get there. I hope that the GT350 has more than 90% of the handling of the Vette, because I suspect it will be more than 90% of the price of the Vette.

Both are really great cars IMO, and I think it comes down to how much of a sports car you want, and how badly you need or want the rear seats. $300 to rent a Vette is a small price to pay in order to confirm what you really want, IMO, so you should keep that idea in mind. I spent about 10X that to take a three day driving school with the C7 Vette, and it was totally worth it.

-T

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Highwayman

Been there.. Done that..
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kraig
Vehicle(s)
15 OW Base GT/PP/Recarros,Built STI,Built Jeep JK
Bwahahaha, awesome review....

Thx, Jim....

Sponsored

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Highwayman

Been there.. Done that..
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kraig
Vehicle(s)
15 OW Base GT/PP/Recarros,Built STI,Built Jeep JK

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He thanks the owner Jim a bunch in his extensive testing Jims vette, haha.
It's not meant to be an "extensive" test. It's simply meant to be the driving impressions from a car enthusiast who has driven many different vehicles.

Personally, I like him as a car "reviewer." Yes, he's quirky, but he speaks well and fluently and gets his facts straight. He has a great appreciation for sports cars and maintains a positive attitude. Much better than the overly-critical "critic" if you know what I mean.

Overall, I think it's a valuable perspective from someone who has driven just about everything. And I also thought it was fitting based on the OP's consideration of a GS over the Z06.
Sponsored